GTBLUE
Platinum Member

Re: Barrow v FC United of Manchester

Post by GTBLUE »

Van Der Nipper wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:20 pm
behind the goals wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:18 pm
Any news regarding Platt and White staying with us.
Both been recalled sadly.

Why !

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

Middleton Nick wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 pm
Going off IE, Byron isn't going anywhere soon.
And ultimately that’s the only reassuring Byron needs, after all it’s the manager who knows who brings the most to the team both on and off the pitch. We were mad for it today against the team from Manchester.
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

Matty
Platinum Member

Post by Matty »

Van Der Nipper wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 pm
You only had to see the players reaction when Byron scored today to see what the rest of the squad think of him,i thought he had a good game today 👍
And he was duly applauded off at the end of the game.
Popular side since '03.

Conference North Champions 2014-15

Middleton Nick
Gold Member

Post by Middleton Nick »

Anyway the Dover away game is off and we see on Monday who we play next on this incredible journey this season not to mention the prize money (just short of £10000 so far) and the ground income. All useful to this club.
Last edited by Middleton Nick on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian »

Well there are clearly some Byron Harrison detractors on here but common sense prevails from Spirit of 1990, Van Der Nipper, barrowfan_Chris among others.

Byron Harrison has tended to be used as a holding forward substitute when the game is nearing a successful conclusion rather than an out-and-out striker. Today he complemented Scott Quigley with a roving brief and produced some lovely touches providing the ball for others.

Clearly the players recognised his efforts, there were a lot of positive feelings and support for him from the popular side and the manager was, once again, complimentary in his post-match interview.

Negatives very much in the minority.

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

Hadrian wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:41 pm
Well there are clearly some Byron Harrison detractors on here but common sense prevails from Spirit of 1990, Van Der Nipper, barrowfan_Chris among others.

Byron Harrison has tended to be used as a holding forward substitute when the game is nearing a successful conclusion rather than an out-and-out striker. Today he complemented Scott Quigley with a roving brief and produced some lovely touches providing the ball for others.

Clearly the players recognised his efforts, there were a lot of positive feelings and support for him from the popular side and the manager was, once again, complimentary in his post-match interview.

Negatives very much in the minority.
Agreed. BH is our sub/reserve striker. If all our players were as good as Quigley, Rooney etc. They wouldn't be here it's as simple as that.
Bish=God

cromwells ghost

Post by cromwells ghost »

as much as I hate anything to do with Manchester I respect their truth and fairness when they say we are the best team they have played in 15 years, we are something special and lets enjoy, their fans except the few that tried their hand at the end were the best we have seen for years,when you are 7-0 down and still singing that is support.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Thankfully the trouble at the end was soon stamped out by PC Wallbank

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab »

barrowfan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:04 pm
blumooncrab wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:33 pm
Why the negative comment FFS ?
If you are referring to my comment it was actually a positive one complimenting the away fans on the support for their team who had just lost 7-0. :D

It's just a pity that some infantile Barrow fan walked up HS and started to goad them at which point a policeman appeared and told the Barrow lad to 'disappear'. :)
No , not you at all - united fans were fantastic- obviously I don’t include any fans who cause trouble . My gripe (negative in itself - so excuse the irony ) is the
criticism of Byron — he’s still a good player and he’s one of ours - puts in his effort and it’s a real shame that given another - yes another 7-0 - to read some of the comments on here.
Last edited by blumooncrab on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Peace be on Byron and all his followers/detractors.

Has always been a bit of an enigma and to some extent divided opinion. Was never really played in an ideal formation even in his prime by Cox who could not think beyond 4-4-2 and despite this Byron made it work. Graceful. intelligent and until recently swift to find space and clinical in execution. Watching him on the pitch has been pure joy.

To understand IEs desire to keep him I think you need to understand his role. I dont think he is seen as a "reserve striker" otherwise you'd have to say that IE had some form of sentimental attachment to him. Hindle definitely is a reserve striker and in some respects therefore is more worrying than Byron when he doesn't score. In truth we dont need other reserve strikers as long as Quigley, Rooney, Hardcastle, Angus, Kay Dyson etc. keep scoring. We can also change formation during a game if we lose one of them and remain attacking.

So I'm convinced Byron is there firstly to enable legs to be rested during games and secondly to help close games down. If he scores that's great. But having someone on the pitch who's instinct is not always to attack with speed at the back end of a game is useful and we dont really have that kind of mindset anywhere else that far up the field. Perhaps we, the supporters need to keep up with the way IE has changed the way we play which is becoming as versatile as it is dynamic. Ironically I think this has created roles in the team that weren't there before and Byron is now filling one of those.

Byron is a link with our past - part of our journey. I hope he'll be there when the dream can be realised.

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End »

Perhaps Byron Harrison will score the goal that secures promotion to League Two? Or wins the FA Trophy for us? Either - or both - scenarios could happen and would make him a Barrow legend.

Over half a century on, Tony Field is still remembered for scoring the goal that made sure of promotion to Division Three.

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

Thank you.
It all comes 'round again.

Cubbins Paratrooper
Veteran Member

Post by Cubbins Paratrooper »

Some fine images there, Big E.

Jonty