boreham wood v barrow match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
kikka

Re: boreham wood v barrow match thread

Post by kikka »

In the context of the other results today , that was a great result away against a team that were flying . We're now a point further ahead of the chasing pack.

We have other tough games still to play in which we just need to keep doing the things we do well and , to coin a much overused phrase , take one game at a time.

Well done to all once again. Keep going - the finishing line is just around the next bend . :skill: :scarf:
First match : Barrow v Northampton Town : Sat. 24th Sept. 1960 ... won 1-0... ( which was nice )

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen »

Tremendous point against a good side. Could have nicked it, would have been larceny. Heart.

I know how difficult it is here but as a support the last 5 minutes are minimum requirement. With all respect. We can't tie up with nerves.

Let's go Tuesday.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Attendance jut over 1000 with good support from Barrow 238.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

barrowfan wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:17 pm
Excellent effort from those that travelled.
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

blue nige
Gold Member

Post by blue nige »

Another test passed but now it's all about resolve! All the games left really are cup ties !

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Evatt disappointed with his team today, not quite at the races. Both managers equally bemused about some of the ref's decisions.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty »

Good result against an in form side and a point gained on the chasing pack.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

No mention of any knocks or niggles in the interview. After hearing of Platt and Barry both looking uncomfortable at points in the game after challenges, i take it no news is good news?
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

Desmond2-2

Post by Desmond2-2 »

Fantastic point, looking forward to going Tuesday, wonderful numbers away support today, 238 , well done to you all, safe trip home

200miles

Post by 200miles »

A great point against an in-form team. I too am hoping to go to the Solihull match as it's only 40 miles from me. The issue appears to be car parking availability (public transport is a non-starter) as the on site parking is limited and it's a bit of a crap sterile location.
Last edited by 200miles on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

That was probably the toughest away game we've had so far this season. A point was always going to be a decent outcome, though I can understand why IE was a little disappointed. Bhamwood play the game as we do and their strengths - quick movement and fast flowing attacks and their weaknesses - occasionally losing the ball in dangerous positions - are roughly the same as ours too. It has to be said, they excelled at their strong points better than we did today.

Both teams were most dangerous when countering. Their most dangerous moments tended to come off the back of a BAFC attack. They moved the ball quickly across the park, just as we like to do and their goal came from pulling the defensive line apart and then finding a striker in the centre of our box. I should also say that they missed two guilt edge gift wrapped chances in the second half.

Having said that there wasn't much between the sides for most of the game. Both sides looked comfortable when the defences were set. Josh Kay was probably MOTM for me, though they all got through a lot of work, especially in defence. Bhamwood were also adept at the "dark arts" in the face of a pretty lenient referee. Kicks, stamps and elbows were used to break up play as Platt, Barry and Angus all found out. I worried about Platt in particular but he recovered pretty well. There will be a few sore limbs on the treatment table. We did however give a bit back.

So this was a good point. Very good as it turned out our closet rivals yet again delivered miserable results. The most points that can be gained by any of our rivals now has dropped to 97 and the way they are playing you certainly could not rule out them dropping more based on today. So our point today was made potentially more important by what others didn't get.

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Got back home about an hour ago from the match and pretty much agree with most of the earlier comments. This is the 6th away match I've seen and Boreham Wood were far and away the best side I've seen us play. As Suffolk Bkue said, they are the first team I've seen who play in the same way as do we. Good constructive football and I can see why they have been having such a good run.

Two good teams out there today. Barrow were the better side in the first half with several dangerous attacks while Boreham Wood created next to nothing of danger. Boreham Wood definitely on top for most of the second half and missed a couple of gilt edged chances. Great defending by Barrow except for the goal when they tried to play offside and failed with a big gap on the left which the ball was hit into and with tour defenders desperately rushing to get back the cross from the right fell perfectly for their forward running in and it was a tap in from a few yards.

Both teams tacked hard but nothing dirty either way. However, Platt and Barry both got caught and looked in trouble for a while and Kay was a passenger fro the last 10 mins or so. Hopefully, it was just cramp and, if so, I'm not surprised with the amount of running he did up and down the pitch. Fingers crossed that everybody is fit for Tuesday night!

Men of the match for me were Platt (as usual) who was completely dominating in defence, Hird who was almost as good but an even better performance from Kay who scored a terrific goal and was dangerous almost every time he was in position and also ran himself into the ground getting up and down the left touchline. Amazing speed and stamina and MOM for me.

Smoggie

Post by Smoggie »

Paulmichael wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Could have nicked it at the death with that Rooney free kick but a draw still an excellent result especially with teams below us losing, in such a strong position now
Looking good hope we can keep it going into March as looks like March is the critical month with top team teams

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

barrowfan wrote:
1000, poor attendance IMHO
Propriety in public life is a dwindling resource. We have outsourced reason. We deserve it”

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Roadrunner wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:34 pm
barrowfan wrote:
1000, poor attendance IMHO
That's a very good attendance for Boreham Wood!