boreham wood v barrow match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
barrowfan
Platinum Member

Re: boreham wood v barrow match thread

Post by barrowfan »

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:18 pm

Would have been happy with a point pre-match but over the moon with it after seeing the other results. The football Gods really are smiling on us this season.
Amen to that! :)

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End »

We didn't play at our best, we could easily have lost, yet we widened the gap at the top of the table. What's not to like? :scarf:

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

DIXIE wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:01 pm
20 pounds to stand, shocking at this level.
There's the answer to the low attendances then. I'd wager you could watch nearby league sides for that
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Barra Marra wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm
Shows the difficulty of attracting and retaining support in areas that are saturated with football teams at all levels up to the Prem within travelling distance. What were the ticket prices like there? Suppose that could be a factor if it's not much less than some league clubs
Just to illustrate that point, after I parked I wandered around looking for the ground and asked directions from a chap who I assume was a local as he was walking in the town centre with 2 of his children. He asked me if I was from Barrow and when I said I was originally he told me he was an Orient supporter and said he hoped we got promoted and looked forward to playing us next season as long as they managed to stay up!
Last edited by russell_anderson on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoltonBlue

Post by BoltonBlue »

That was the 2 footballing best sides in the league battling it out yesterday, happy with the point as I actually thought Boreham Wood were the better side on the day. The 90 minutes of fast flowing football was just as pleasing on the eye as our recent 7-0 drubbings. I'd be amazed if Platt doesn't walk into Blackburn's first team squad next season, best young defender iv'e ever seen at the club.
A little bizarre only 700 home supporters for the visit of the league leaders but nearly £35 for an adult and child seat in the stand before food, programs etc you can see why folk don't get onboard, shame really they have great football on offer.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Didn’t catch Evatts interview afterwards; was Platt ok?

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:49 am
Nothing was mentioned re: knocks picked up in the game. Was a bit concerned listening to the commentary as it sounded like Barry, Platt and Kay were all struggling at times during the game.

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

To win a league takes a little bit of luck and for once, it seems that someone above is finally smiling down on us.

I wake up every Sunday and always check the table just to make sure we really are at the top of the league.

Great result again and although a win is always best, the point is most welcome too especially considering we were away to the second best team in the league.

Barrow have earned their luck by playing and grafting like a well polished unit.. but to have the other teams fail to capitalise when we do drop points is just amazing and I thank the football god's for that😁

We have one less game to play, it's in our own hands and we can do this.

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

BoltonBlue wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 am
That was the 2 footballing best sides in the league battling it out yesterday, happy with the point as I actually thought Boreham Wood were the better side on the day. The 90 minutes of fast flowing football was just as pleasing on the eye as our recent 7-0 drubbings. I'd be amazed if Platt doesn't walk into Blackburn's first team squad next season, best young defender iv'e ever seen at the club.
A little bizarre only 700 home supporters for the visit of the league leaders but nearly £35 for an adult and child seat in the stand before food, programs etc you can see why folk don't get onboard, shame really they have great football on offer.
I might be wrong but isn't platt out of contract in the summer? Rovers have too many central defenders on their books and platt believe it or not is quite a way down the pecking order. Could be a real opportunity to get the lad on barrows books?

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

Barra Marra wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 am
HenneysKnee wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:49 am
Nothing was mentioned re: knocks picked up in the game. Was a bit concerned listening to the commentary as it sounded like Barry, Platt and Kay were all struggling at times during the game.
Been a sickness bug in the camp this week so players haven’t been able to train properly,
Just a touch of cramp, all will be assessed on monday

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

russell_anderson wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:37 pm
Barra Marra wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm
Shows the difficulty of attracting and retaining support in areas that are saturated with football teams at all levels up to the Prem within travelling distance. What were the ticket prices like there? Suppose that could be a factor if it's not much less than some league clubs
Just to illustrate that point, after I parked I wandered around looking for the ground and asked directions from a chap who I assume was a local as he was walking in the town centre with 2 of his children. He asked me if I was from Barrow and when I said I was originally he told me he was an Orient supporter and said he hoped we got promoted and looked forward to playing us next season as long as they managed to stay up!
Its a bit of a Catch 22 situation. The catchment area for players is excellent but so is the competition for fans. Danger is that you become everybody's "second" team. That really sums up the Wood who now have a very decent stadium and a fine squad. They just need a crowd to go with it. The 800 locals that turned up yesterday represents about an 60%-70% increase on their historical average and was indeed influenced by the fact that prices were lowered as part of one of their Community days. The atmosphere was quite subdued but their players seem to have come to terms with it. You'll also notice that they dont have a well defined or robust fans forum indicating either a lack of interest or willing contributors.

There are some parallels with Fylde but at least they have a defined geographical community to draw from. Its difficult to tell where Bhamwood starts and finishes. Their owner must be under constant medication for stress and seems to spend his time moving between ploughing large sums into the club and then threatening to reduce his investment due to lack of support. Arsenal contribute massively to the upkeep of the pitch and some facilities for their Womens team and without that its difficult to see how they could continue to thrive. Their model is an odd one and just about works when all things are considered. Its very fragile though and you cant see it being sustained forever. I've absolutely no idea how they would function as a EFL club.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

So could our isolation (perceived in the media anyway), often touted as a disadvantage, actually be an advantage in terms of identity and a commited, passionate fan base who identify the club as "theirs"? Obviously it fluctuates, as evidenced in these heady times, but there's always been that group of around the 1000 mark, even in the unibond days.
Not having several teams in the area allows us to attract support from the wider furness/South Cumbria area (not forgetting the globally distributed bluebirds) :scarf:

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Barra Marra wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:55 am
So could our isolation (perceived in the media anyway), often touted as a disadvantage, actually be an advantage in terms of identity and a commited, passionate fan base who identify the club as "theirs"? Obviously it fluctuates, as evidenced in these heady times, but there's always been that group of around the 1000 mark, even in the unibond days.
Not having several teams in the area allows us to attract support from the wider furness/South Cumbria area (not forgetting the globally distributed bluebirds) :scarf:
Yes we are used to seeing our geographical location as a complete negative apart from the stereotypical dislike expressed by any team trying to get to us. But you are right BM in that our case the issue is more with the pool of players available, recruiting and keeping them and where they train. Our competition for getting people through the gates isn't Morecambe or Preston or Workington or Carlisle its actually the Rugby and that really shouldn't be a determining factor. The fact that you are seeing gates now in the 2000-3000 range consistently suggests that if you get the product right then you can achieve gates that would be sustainable at a L2 level. This comes with a warning however regarding the "fickle" factor. That is when performance drops off for period at our club and when this happens the drop in attendances has always been somewhat "disproportionate".

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

BoltonBlue wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 am
Indeed. 2 good teams both playing in the same way. Boreham Wood probably shaded it but only slightly overall. Platt has been superb for us but there's a big gap between National League and Championship football so it remains to be seen if he gets to that level. Certainly has a chance on the way he's played for us. The difference between him and our other defenders (good though they are also) is that he has the pace and strength to mark tightly whereas the others like to back off in case they get beaten for pace. One thing that was noticable yesterday was how well Boreham Wood handled Quigley. The least effective game I've seen him have in the away matches I've been to and certainly not because of a lack of effort on his part. When he dropped deep they smaller defender who was very quick (their number 3) picked him up and when he went further forward the big central defender took over. Very well planned.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Especially as the rugby mainly play during the summer and on a Sunday these days. Yes, the fickle factor. But as you say, get the right product, on and off the field, and you have a greater chance of retaining a lot of the support. Especially with the clubs excellent initiatives surrounding the younger generation. Childhood memories always make someone more likely to fall in love with a club as opposed to " following" a team and having witnessed my own young lad (9 yr old) completely take the club to heart, it's clear these strategies by the current board are a winner in the long term.