russell_anderson
Silver Member

Re: boreham wood v barrow match thread

Post by russell_anderson »

Adam29 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:31 am
Barra Marra wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 am

Nothing was mentioned re: knocks picked up in the game. Was a bit concerned listening to the commentary as it sounded like Barry, Platt and Kay were all struggling at times during the game.
Been a sickness bug in the camp this week so players haven’t been able to train properly,
Just a touch of cramp, all will be assessed on monday
That makes yesterday's performance even better but also highlights how fragile things might become if illness, injuries or suspensions hit the team. I believe we have 13 very good players at this level, the 11 who started yesterday plus White and Dyson, but the standard drops a fair bit after that and there are 3 or 4 whose absence would cause big problems.

Mr Zebedee

Post by Mr Zebedee »

One incredible statistic :

By the time they scored the second half equaliser (the first goal we conceded this year), we had already scored 20 goals for the year

When was the last time anyone managed that, I wonder ?

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Mr Zebedee wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:07 pm
One incredible statistic :

By the time they scored the second half equaliser (the first goal we conceded this year), we had already scored 20 goals for the year

When was the last time anyone managed that, I wonder ?
I think that stat just proves how well this defensive unit works together. Matt Platt often gets the plaudits (rightly) but the others, and especially Joel, have been superb. It sounds from the commentary like Joel had another good game. Of all the names being mentioned to sign up for next season and possibly beyond, Joels would be one i'm very keen to hear.
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

BoltonBlue

Post by BoltonBlue »

olbarrafancumbak wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:04 am
BoltonBlue wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 am
That was the 2 footballing best sides in the league battling it out yesterday, happy with the point as I actually thought Boreham Wood were the better side on the day. The 90 minutes of fast flowing football was just as pleasing on the eye as our recent 7-0 drubbings. I'd be amazed if Platt doesn't walk into Blackburn's first team squad next season, best young defender iv'e ever seen at the club.
A little bizarre only 700 home supporters for the visit of the league leaders but nearly £35 for an adult and child seat in the stand before food, programs etc you can see why folk don't get onboard, shame really they have great football on offer.
I might be wrong but isn't platt out of contract in the summer? Rovers have too many central defenders on their books and platt believe it or not is quite a way down the pecking order. Could be a real opportunity to get the lad on barrows books?
If that came to fruition it would indeed be absolutely off the scale in terms of statement of intent from the club moving forwards.

TaylorBAFC

Post by TaylorBAFC »

Boreham Wood were easily the best side we've played this season and certainly shown how they're on such a fantastic run of form that has seen them move into the play-offs. I was pleasantly surprised by the support too. BW get far too much stick for their lack of support, but they certainly had a great atmosphere considering which I didn't anticipate. I don't recall it being like that last time I made the trip (two seasons ago now!). Quality not quantity comes to mind.

A lot of respect to those supporters as it's very easy to support one of the Premier League/EFL clubs in and around that area and dedicate your time purely to that one club. I believe ST prices were reduced to around £99 in an attempt to get more fans into the ground but the offer wasn't taken up by many, therefore ticket prices are so high to account for the reduced numbers they get in comparison to the rest of the league. If people aren't taking up the offer of £99, equating to paying for five games (and saving £1, every penny matters) I can't see many coming regardless of the price they charge.
Last edited by TaylorBAFC on Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

TaylorBAFC wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:25 pm
Boreham Wood were easily the best side we've played this season and certainly shown how they're on such a fantastic run of form that has seen them move into the play-offs. I was pleasantly surprised by the support too. BW get far too much stick for their lack of support, but they certainly had a great atmosphere considering which I didn't anticipate. I don't recall it being like that last time I made the trip (two seasons ago now!). Quality not quantity comes to mind.

A lot of respect to those supporters as it's very easy to support one of the Premier League/EFL clubs in and around that area and dedicate your time purely to that one club. I believe ST prices were reduced to around £99 in an attempt to get more fans into the ground but the offer wasn't taken up by many, therefore ticket prices are so high to account for the reduced numbers they get in comparison to the rest of the league. If people aren't taking up the offer of £99, equating to paying for five games (and saving £1, every penny matters) I can't see many coming regardless of the price they charge.
Agree on the quality of their squad but not on the crowd. The atmosphere was subdued at the start and we were the ones who actually made them engage. They made about as much noise as 800 fans could do in the second half but that was mainly when their team was on top. The team aren't supposed to pick the crowd up - its normally the other way around. I'm not sure they've had a thousand people in the stadium all season. They are by some distance the poorest supported club in this division. I dont there's any getting away from that

Middleton Nick
Gold Member

Post by Middleton Nick »

BW...average 691..lowest 407....highest 1401. The highest was with a large visiting contingent but I can't remember who.
Last edited by Middleton Nick on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Far from giving them stick over it, I actually sympathise with them. Like you say, if people aren't picking up that offer then they never will. Being linked with Arsenal is obviously a blessing on one hand (facilities) but a curse on the other (competition for fans along with other teams). From what little I've seen in TV and listening to others, it seems as though they play good football in decent facilities and it really is a shame that more don't attend and support the club in terms of backing the team and financially. Pitfalls of non league football amongst established EFL and Premiership teams. But then, I suppose the same could be said of a lot of teams throughout the pyramid. Thank god were in the arse end of middle earth :lol:
Last edited by Barra Marra on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Middleton Nick wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 pm
BW...average 691..lowest 407....highest 1401. The highest was with a large visiting contingent but I can't remember who.
It was Barnet on New Years Day. Barnet is just a stones throw from the Wood and they brought the bulk of the support - Barnet a team not doing as well as they expected. On 21st December the Wood hosted Harrogate in front of 601 and the week before Eastleigh in front of 500.

Borehamwood are a good club with some loyal and talented people. But they are not well served by the local community. As noted earlier also prices were reduced for the local yesterday.

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:34 pm
Middleton Nick wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 pm
It was Barnet on New Years Day. Barnet is just a stones throw from the Wood and they brought the bulk of the support - Barnet a team not doing as well as they expected. On 21st December the Wood hosted Harrogate in front of 601 and the week before Eastleigh in front of 500.

Borehamwood are a good club with some loyal and talented people. But they are not well served by the local community. As noted earlier also prices were reduced for the local yesterday.
The sad reality is that a lot of the local area don’t actually know the club exists.

I remember a few seasons ago when we first played them.
We were in the pub pre game having the warm up drinks as you do.
People came up to ask recognising the “strange” northern tones asking us what we are here for, when we replied for the football they looked at us with a puzzled expression before replying “you’ve come a long way just to watch this game on the telly haven’t you?” Referring to the north London Derby that was on tv at the time

saltcellar
Gold Member

Post by saltcellar »

Dalton Bluebird
Silver Member

Post by Dalton Bluebird »

saltcellar wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:23 am
https://youtu.be/jAGf7d3XN48

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
Nice to see 2 teams playing football :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
I don't belieeeeeeeve it!
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

Boreham Wood's highlights are up now too…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbeexsYM4y4

A little longer than ours, but the editing's a bit choppy.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

When you are there watching and suffering it all you tend to forget just how good a game of football that was. Nice to see the NLP giving it 5 stars

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Boreham Wood manager's view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yWVHQ_vwM