A forum for previous match threads.
Barra Marra

Re: barrow v torquay matchthread

Post by Barra Marra »

olbarrafancumbak wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 pm
Barra Marra wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:47 pm
Having 're read the article, maybe I was quick to jump on it being derogatory. It didn't seem as bad on second reading. I still take issue with calling us no frills and physical though. Clearly haven't watched any highlights this season or, indeed, been watching when our two goals were scored.

Point still stands about the need to drag down the town and stadium. As said, cheap shots and nothing to do with the game.
To be fair.. I thought it was a reasonable write up.

Liked the bit about waking us up and rattling our cage or wasp nest..

A blue print for them to follow...take that as a compliment!

Only disappointment for me yesterday was the attendance.. really hope folk start backing this team as they thoroughly deserve it!
A sign of the times when 2500+ is dissapointing. :scarf:
And yes, it wasn't as bad as I first thought. I'd read some comments on Twitter which were less than complimentary before reading that so was probably having a pop at them as much as the write up.
Anyway, quick look at the table and all happy again :lol:
On to Tuesday! :scarf:
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

geobarrovian

Post by geobarrovian »

chipmunx wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:32 pm
was the Torquay manager the summariser in the 2010 FA Trophy final? listening to his post match interview it sounds like the same voice that was commenting on Jason Walkers winner...
Correct, he was indeed, well remembered!

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

ossickbluebird wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Just watched them on BT Sport Catch up mate
Cheers

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Mark Johnson wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AcNhj-eAM

First game on here
Thanks for that.

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

From the highlights it looks tight for their goal for both the free kick and the ball across. Looks offside on first look so not sure what the ref saw enough of to overrule the liner.
Bish=God

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty »

Can’t believe the ref has overruled the Linesman there. It’s even hard to tell from the camera angle, so how can he possibly see from where he was on the pitch. It was a bizarre call.
Last edited by Jonty on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Jonty wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:22 pm
Can’t believe the ref has overused the Linesman there. It’s even hard to tell from the camera angle, so how can he possibly see from where he was on the pitch. It was a bizarre call.
He seemed to wilt under pressure from their players, but overruling the liner was completely out of order but so were a lot of his decisions. Hopefully we won’t come across him again.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

barrowfan wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:52 pm
Jonty wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:22 pm
Can’t believe the ref has overused the Linesman there. It’s even hard to tell from the camera angle, so how can he possibly see from where he was on the pitch. It was a bizarre call.
He seemed to wilt under pressure from their players, but overruling the liner was completely out of order but so were a lot of his decisions. Hopefully we won’t come across him again.
He made some bizarre calls. Overly strict on the small stuff that was really nothing but letting go some very obvious fouls. I thought he looked out of his depth and lacked authority too. I even questioned the yellow for their lad that had been on the pitch for seconds. Hardly worthy of a yellow on its own and was his first action on the pitch. There was worse that he didn't even give a free kick for. Just a strange, inconsistent referee.
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

Barra Marra wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:56 pm
olbarrafancumbak wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 pm

To be fair.. I thought it was a reasonable write up.

Liked the bit about waking us up and rattling our cage or wasp nest..

A blue print for them to follow...take that as a compliment!

Only disappointment for me yesterday was the attendance.. really hope folk start backing this team as they thoroughly deserve it!
A sign of the times when 2500+ is dissapointing. :scarf:
And yes, it wasn't as bad as I first thought. I'd read some comments on Twitter which were less than complimentary before reading that so was probably having a pop at them as much as the write up.
Anyway, quick look at the table and all happy again :lol:
On to Tuesday! :scarf:
Yeh I guess it is a sign of the times but in reflection, when I've poured over the seasons fixtures and results, it's clear to see the attendance has almost doubled since the start of the season BUT I would have hoped almost near capacity for the remaining games we have at home bearing in mind our position and how great this opportunity is to pop our heads back from not football league and playing decent football too!

I suppose the most debated thing for years regarding the roof on the HS end will finally prove or not if the weather has out to play? Have always said spectator comfort (don't mean arm chairs or lounge slippers😳) could be a factor but when that roof goes up, we will know for sure??
Anyway.. let's hope the final few games sees us packed out to see us over that line.

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

Adam29 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:18 am
https://youtu.be/fjUHt4-Zo_w
Headphones on, great viewing and great commentary!!
Great to see matts work again, the difference is brilliant with vision and sound quality!

Btw...not knocking whoever did the footage previous, was always appreciated but matts is on a different level😉
The scenes in the HS end were bloody brilliant. The wee boy absolutely loved it!!
Not great when he comes home singing the "referee's a *#nker" 😂😂 jeez...he will here far worse on the school playground!!

Richard Ingham
Platinum Member

Post by Richard Ingham »

Apart from the usual descriptions of the town, ground and team I thought that was a pretty fair assessment of what went on.
"Barrow produces world class feats of engineering on a regular basis. Kettering produces Weetabix" - @bafc_lancaster

"Danny Livesey collects stitches like nectar points" - @bafc_lancaster

Electricblues
Veteran Member

Post by Electricblues »

Re: Torquay's 'goal' both players moved too soon and were offside. The players knew it, the linesman knew it, the ref thought he knew better but how could he? What an awful piece of officiating.

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen »

Richard Ingham wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:22 am
Apart from the usual descriptions of the town, ground and team I thought that was a pretty fair assessment of what went on.
"...former days of prosperity before the collapse of its ship building industry..."

Well you think that would have been in the Evening Mail wouldn't you? Having said that, the last few boats out of the yard have sunk without a trace.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Electricblues wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:03 am
Re: Torquay's 'goal' both players moved too soon and were offside. The players knew it, the linesman knew it, the ref thought he knew better but how could he? What an awful piece of officiating.
Spot on, and I have very rarely seen a ref overrule a linesman. Completely takes away his authority. The only thing I can think of is that he decreed that he wasn't interfering with play, but a player who is clearly offside on his own in front of goal is surely gaining an unfair advantage! :sentoff: