barrow v torquay matchthread

A forum for previous match threads.
Hadrian
Gold Member

Re: barrow v torquay matchthread

Post by Hadrian »

Wintergreen wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:23 am
"...former days of prosperity before the collapse of its ship building industry..."

Well you think that would have been in the Evening Mail wouldn't you? Having said that, the last few boats out of the yard have sunk without a trace.
For starters, he must have missed the fact that 10000 people work at the yard in advanced manufacturing...

Moribund
Gold Member

Post by Moribund »

barrowfan wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:30 am
Electricblues wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:03 am
Re: Torquay's 'goal' both players moved too soon and were offside. The players knew it, the linesman knew it, the ref thought he knew better but how could he? What an awful piece of officiating.
Spot on, and I have very rarely seen a ref overrule a linesman. Completely takes away his authority. The only thing I can think of is that he decreed that he wasn't interfering with play, but a player who is clearly offside on his own in front of goal is surely gaining an unfair advantage! :sentoff:
Evatt said that the referee 'thought it came off a Barrow player' - it looks like it brushes off Quigley when the free kick went in, and possibly touches another Barrow man on the ball across the box. Neither of which, I think, make it not offside?

The main issue really is that the referee needs to be 100% certain the linesman was wrong. I doubt he was.

chipmunx
Bronze Member

Post by chipmunx »

According to someone I spoke to on Saturday night who worked at the game the referee assessor tore a strip off the referee after the match for amongst other things "Awarding a goal that wasn't a goal".... and the suggestion was that the referee should be made to retake his refereeing exams...
Bring it on!!!

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

olbarrafancumbak wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 am
Adam29 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:18 am
https://youtu.be/fjUHt4-Zo_w
Headphones on, great viewing and great commentary!!
Great to see matts work again, the difference is brilliant with vision and sound quality!

Btw...not knocking whoever did the footage previous, was always appreciated but matts is on a different level😉
The scenes in the HS end were bloody brilliant. The wee boy absolutely loved it!!
Not great when he comes home singing the "referee's a *#nker" 😂😂 jeez...he will here far worse on the school playground!!
Agree. Excellent video of the game. Great camera work and commentary.

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

Ref was shite, We dug in. What a fantastic team we have! 14 to go...

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

chipmunx wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:22 am
According to someone I spoke to on Saturday night who worked at the game the referee assessor tore a strip off the referee after the match for amongst other things "Awarding a goal that wasn't a goal".... and the suggestion was that the referee should be made to retake his refereeing exams...
I sincerely hope that's true. As I've said, he really looked out of his depth and commanded zero authority, as proven by his capitulation to Torquay surrounding him after his liner has given offside. Brushed Quigley or not, the player(s) were offside when the ball was played forward and gained an advantage AND became active in the play after gaining that advantage. The touch makes no difference unless the original ball was played backwards.

At least, that's how I understand it. If I'm wrong then I sincerely apologise to local teams of the early 00's :lol:
Last edited by Barra Marra on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

chipmunx wrote:
I doubt he would have done that where it could be overheard and I would think his report is not to the referee but some officiating body.
I was told when he was asked what he thought of the referee he said "I am not allowed to say---but I am glad you won".
Assessments are only for advancement into the football league and as most are useless we get them back game after game.
Saturday's ref is new to this league, his first season, but we won't have to worry abut seeing him next season. 😁

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Holkerbird wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:43 pm
chipmunx wrote:
I doubt he would have done that where it could be overheard and I would think his report is not to the referee but some officiating body.
I was told when he was asked what he thought of the referee he said "I am not allowed to say---but I am glad you won".
Assessments are only for advancement into the football league and as most are useless we get them back game after game.
Saturday's ref is new to this league, his first season, but we won't have to worry abut seeing him next season. 😁
Assessors do speak to the referee and give him a report of how his performance has been, well, assessed. The report will also be submitted. Don't know of it happening but a referee can be downgraded if assessments are consistently below the required standard or they fail the fitness tests or both.

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

Submit his report but not speak like he is supposed to have done on Saturday. There would be no referees left if those reports were accurate and the powers that be took any notice of them----well in my unqualified biased eyes anyway. 😕

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Holkerbird wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm
Submit his report but not speak like he is supposed to have done on Saturday. There would be no referees left if those reports were accurate and the powers that be took any notice of them----well in my unqualified biased eyes anyway. 😕
I take it you're referring to the "tore a strip off" part? I'm which case, yeah, I'd be surprised if he spoke to him like that. Poor lad got enough of that from 98% of the people present at the ground :lol:

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Barra Marra wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:31 pm
chipmunx wrote:
I sincerely hope that's true. As I've said, he really looked out of his depth and commanded zero authority, as proven by his capitulation to Torquay surrounding him after his liner has given offside. Brushed Quigley or not, the player(s) were offside when the ball was played forward and gained an advantage AND became active in the play after gaining that advantage. The touch makes no difference unless the original ball was played backwards.

At least, that's how I understand it. If I'm wrong then I sincerely apologise to local teams of the early 00's :lol:
It's always difficult to be sure of offside if you aren't in line with the play but, you are offside if you are in an offside position when the ball is played AS LONG AS YOU PLAY THE BALL. It looked to me as though when the free kick was taken the Torquay player it went to on the left side of the penalty area was just in front of the Barrow line and was therefore offside when he played it into the middle. It is irrelevent whether the 2 players in the middle were offside or not until he played it in their direction but, at that point the one who put it into the net had to be behind the one who crossed it to him. That looked pretty close from the video. The other player to the right of the one who scored didn't touch the ball so whether he was offside at any time was completely irrelevent unless he had been in line with Joel Dixon and interfered with his ability to save the goalbound attempt which was not the case. I don't know whether the linesman gave the player who crossed the ball offside or the player who put the ball into the net but there was absolutely nothing I could see that could cause the referee to overrule him as the referee was certainly not in line with the players.
Last edited by russell_anderson on Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

russell_anderson wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:52 pm
Barra Marra wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:31 pm

It's always difficult to be sure of offside if you aren't in line with the play but, you are offside if you are in an offside position when the ball is played AS LONG AS YOU PLAY THE BALL. It looked to me as though when the free kick was taken the Torquay player it went to on the left side of the penalty area was just in front of the Barrow line and was therefore offside when he played it into the middle. It is irrelevent whether the 2 players in the middle were offside or not until he played it in their direction but, at that point the one who put it into the net had to be behind the one who crossed it to him. That looked pretty close from the video. The other player to the right of the one who scored didn't touch the ball so whether he was offside at any time was completely irrelevent unless he had been in line with Joel Dixon and interfered with his ability to save the goalbound attempt which was not the case. I don't know whether the linesman gave the player who crossed the ball offside or the player who put the ball into the net but there was absolutely nothing I could see that could cause the referee to overrule him as the referee was certainly not in line with the players.
We were bang in line. The player who put the cross in was, indeed, offside when it was played. Moved ahead before the kick was taken. The player who turned it in also looked ahead when the cross went in. Obviously not as in line for that one!
Im.sure someone can draw a line across the still VAR style to confirm. A ruler on the Pc screen would be about my technical ability :lol:
Last edited by Barra Marra on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Is it worth going to the trouble?

As Evatt said the ref actually did us a favour because it fired up the players after what had been up until then a very lacklustre second half performance.

So thank you Mr. Swallow! We shall soar into the Football League!

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

barrowfan wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:31 pm
Is it worth going to the trouble?

As Evatt said the ref actually did us a favour because it fired up the players after what had been up until then a very lacklustre second half performance.

So thank you Mr. Swallow! We shall soar into the Football League!
Not really no. I'm not actually going to take a ruler to the screen :lol:

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Barra Marra wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Not really no. I'm not actually going to take a ruler to the screen :lol:
Shucks! And I thought you were! :lol: :roll: ;)