Dover v BARROW match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
BAFC_98
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:09 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by BAFC_98 »

russell_anderson wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:10 am
SKIPPER wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:47 am


Problem being that we haven't got much of a 'fringe' and some players who need a rest are going to have to play. We really do need a couple of fresh bodies,maybe a utility defender and a striker.Comes to something when we are forced to play a midfielder only recently back from injury in the centre of defence.
You're correct. Next to no impact has been made by any of the players brought on as subs with the exception of Dyson in the games I've seen. I did think Taylor would be a very good central defence replacement but he had a bit of a nightmare match last night and wasn't even anywhere near his normal level in midfield against Boreham Wood so it seems to be taking him a while to get back to his best. We're still 7 points ahead but need better performances than last night and at Solihull (where a poor Maidenhead side won 2-0 only a few days after we couldn't beat them) otherwise we'll very soon be back in a group of 4 or 5.
Match or better the top 4/5 results and we win the league. We are currently doing that!!! Absolutely no cause for concern.

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

Surely and opportunity to utilise the reserve players?

Cup runs have been great when we have been sh#t but with this once in a lifetime opportunity to get back into football league, I would rather we used our full resources i.e the young lads. Great for experience and chance for IE to take a look at them too?

As mentioned already, the run probably had to come to an end and it's painful it being diver after all the hassle after the postponed game😠

Sometimes a kick up the arse and a reality check is good for the soul... The team will no doubt take stock, re group and come back stronger!

We get another shot at Dover a week on Tuesday and. Chance to play them off the park and show them who's boss?
Up to us guys n gals too to get right behind the lads and rise our game? Turn up en mass and make more noise than we have done for years and really help push them on.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member
Posts: 4329
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by HenneysKnee »

crossbar wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:58 am
Long trip but a good day out, 0600 and just at J36
Superb effort; Barrow fans came across really loudly on the radio last night

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member
Posts: 4329
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by HenneysKnee »

Adam29 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:36 am
It was said in my post match interview last night that changes would be made for the Trophy game as some players are in need of a rest
Harrison and Hindle up front with Dyson in behind them and Brown at right back; all 4 of them surely get 90 minutes

Jim
Platinum Member
Posts: 4520
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by Jim »

BAFC_98 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 am

Match or better the top 4/5 results and we win the league. We are currently doing that!!! Absolutely no cause for concern.
Not complacent by any means, but the chasing pack have to win 3 games, or win 2 and draw 2, while we lose 3 in order to catch us. On present form that seems unlikely.

Hadrian
Gold Member
Posts: 2402
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by Hadrian »

On the radio, Evatt singled out Harrison for his impact in last night's short appearance.

AugustusCorpa
Bronze Member
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by AugustusCorpa »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:38 am
Adam29 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:36 am
It was said in my post match interview last night that changes would be made for the Trophy game as some players are in need of a rest
Harrison and Hindle up front with Dyson in behind them and Brown at right back; all 4 of them surely get 90 minutes
Simpson in goal. Is Granite still injured? Would be good game time for him.
Blue not manky tangerine..

russell_anderson
Silver Member
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by russell_anderson »

Hadrian wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am
On the radio, Evatt singled out Harrison for his impact in last night's short appearance.
Decent managers never criticise individual players but what they say and what they think aren't always the same thing. If Ian Evatt really thought Harrison and Hindle were good enough, he would be playing them a lot more than the odd 5 mins at the end of matches we're winning and being brought on for 20 mins a couple of times when we're losing. If he really thought they were as good as Quigley and Angus he would have been giving those 2 a break in the same way as he rotates Rooney, White, Hardcastle and Taylor in midfield. He does that because all 4 players are good enough to start but only Angus, Quigley and to a lesser extend Dyson are good enough to use as attacking players. The substitutions last night made a dodgy defensive performance even more dodgy and made no difference to the attacking performance as we were in total control of the match before the substitutions anyway.

Moribund
Gold Member
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by Moribund »

russell_anderson wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm
Hadrian wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am
On the radio, Evatt singled out Harrison for his impact in last night's short appearance.
Decent managers never criticise individual players but what they say and what they think aren't always the same thing. If Ian Evatt really thought Harrison and Hindle were good enough, he would be playing them a lot more than the odd 5 mins at the end of matches we're winning and being brought on for 20 mins a couple of times when we're losing. If he really thought they were as good as Quigley and Angus he would have been giving those 2 a break in the same way as he rotates Rooney, White, Hardcastle and Taylor in midfield. He does that because all 4 players are good enough to start but only Angus, Quigley and to a lesser extend Dyson are good enough to use as attacking players. The substitutions last night made a dodgy defensive performance even more dodgy and made no difference to the attacking performance as we were in total control of the match before the substitutions anyway.
As mentioned in the other thread, our budget is one of the lowest in the league so it's hard to get that strength in depth. What's most remarkable is that we've played nearly all season with only Connor Brown as cover for all defensive positions!

dids21
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:03 am
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by dids21 »

happy days for some people today they can moan again about the team and clubs for months now they had nothing to complain about wait for all the knockers to come online now

BAFC_98
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:09 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by BAFC_98 »

dids21 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm
happy days for some people today they can moan again about the team and clubs for months now they had nothing to complain about wait for all the knockers to come online now
It's started :lol:

mickmike wilson
Platinum Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by mickmike wilson »

Fine margins indeed, If we played exactly the same & the shot that hit the post was a few inches the other way & Harrison didn't stop the shot on their line from going in we'd be all happy as larry full of joy hailing this wonder side, We're still the same side that got us up here enjoying the view.

Bound to hit a few roadblocks along the way aren't we!!

Still 7 clear with a big goal difference, Still 13 points ahead of 7th place for the playoffs, Ian has 11 days to work with the lads prior to the Daggers game.

We probably have to alter a few things as we have a target on our backs & team try to stifle us way more than a few months back, It's still very much in our own hands & every other club would give everything to be in our position today.

russell_anderson
Silver Member
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by russell_anderson »

Moribund wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:41 pm
russell_anderson wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm
Decent managers never criticise individual players but what they say and what they think aren't always the same thing. If Ian Evatt really thought Harrison and Hindle were good enough, he would be playing them a lot more than the odd 5 mins at the end of matches we're winning and being brought on for 20 mins a couple of times when we're losing. If he really thought they were as good as Quigley and Angus he would have been giving those 2 a break in the same way as he rotates Rooney, White, Hardcastle and Taylor in midfield. He does that because all 4 players are good enough to start but only Angus, Quigley and to a lesser extend Dyson are good enough to use as attacking players. The substitutions last night made a dodgy defensive performance even more dodgy and made no difference to the attacking performance as we were in total control of the match before the substitutions anyway.
As mentioned in the other thread, our budget is one of the lowest in the league so it's hard to get that strength in depth. What's most remarkable is that we've played nearly all season with only Connor Brown as cover for all defensive positions!
It is remarkable and we've been very lucky in terms of injuries and suspensions. As you rightly say, every club is governed by its budget. I don't have a clue about our budget. I see some on here saying it's one of the lowest but I've seen news items saying we have a relatively high budget. I do know that the recruitment has been excellent with a very high percentage of players brought in being very good.
Last edited by russell_anderson on Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hadrian
Gold Member
Posts: 2402
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by Hadrian »

russell_anderson wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm
Hadrian wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am
On the radio, Evatt singled out Harrison for his impact in last night's short appearance.
Decent managers never criticise individual players but what they say and what they think aren't always the same thing. If Ian Evatt really thought Harrison and Hindle were good enough, he would be playing them a lot more than the odd 5 mins at the end of matches we're winning and being brought on for 20 mins a couple of times when we're losing. If he really thought they were as good as Quigley and Angus he would have been giving those 2 a break in the same way as he rotates Rooney, White, Hardcastle and Taylor in midfield. He does that because all 4 players are good enough to start but only Angus, Quigley and to a lesser extend Dyson are good enough to use as attacking players. The substitutions last night made a dodgy defensive performance even more dodgy and made no difference to the attacking performance as we were in total control of the match before the substitutions anyway.
Are what Evatt said and what you wrote related in some way?

russell_anderson
Silver Member
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by russell_anderson »

dids21 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm
happy days for some people today they can moan again about the team and clubs for months now they had nothing to complain about wait for all the knockers to come online now
If you don't want to discuss what's gone right, what's gone wrong, what's worked, what hasn't worked and what can be improved you're wasting your time using a football forum. There isn't a player or a manager who will take the slightest notice of anything written on a football forum be it good or bad and rightly so.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests