Dover v BARROW match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
Sefton Aubergine

Re: Dover v BARROW match thread

Post by Sefton Aubergine »

Barra Marra wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm
Some people just don't want to tempt fate by saying it, others are perpetually optimistic. Doesn't mean anyone's wrong and we all want the same end result at the end of the season. We'll all (hopefully) be there on the last day regardless.
Opinions are like ars£h0les. Everyone's got one :lol:
Yes and this forum has some opinions!

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pm
Christ I hope the players aren’t as tense as the majority of posters on here are getting as the dream gets closer
The dream will become the reality in no time.

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

Sefton Aubergine wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pm
Barra Marra wrote:
Some people just don't want to tempt fate by saying it, others are perpetually optimistic. Doesn't mean anyone's wrong and we all want the same end result at the end of the season. We'll all (hopefully) be there on the last day regardless.
Yes and this forum has some opinions!
How rude ;)

mulholland

Post by mulholland »

dids21 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm
happy days for some people today they can moan again about the team and clubs for months now they had nothing to complain about wait for all the knockers to come online now
I'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.

Sefton Aubergine

Post by Sefton Aubergine »

mulholland wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pm
dids21 wrote:
happy days for some people today they can moan again about the team and clubs for months now they had nothing to complain about wait for all the knockers to come online now
I'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.
Not a moan mate, it's an observation, as is the tone of this whole thread. The only moaning and in some cases aggression is from folk moaning about non existent moaning!

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

Sefton Aubergine wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:07 pm
mulholland wrote:

IMO like.
Not a moan mate, it's an observation, as is the tone of this whole thread. The only moaning and in some cases aggression is from folk moaning about non existent moaning!
And you've joined in :D

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

mulholland wrote:
dids21 wrote:
IMO like.
I can accept this.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty »

Evo has always said he wants his teams to be brave in possession and comfortable with the ball and I can understand why we have tried to keep it and burn down the clock at 1-1. We weren’t chasing the game so whilst looking for a last chance of our own. It’s being alert that the opposition are still looking for a winner. We got caught out with it.

Last time we got beat in the league we went on a great run. I have every confidence that we are capable of going on a similar run now and getting this over the line.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

mulholland wrote:
dids21 wrote:
IMO like.
I wasn't at Solihull but was at the away matches before and after (Boreham Wood and Dover) and in both those games it was patently obvious that teams have been looking closely at the way we play and instead of their attacking players dropping off and giving our defenders time on the ball which they were definitely doing in the games I saw earlier in the season, they are now playing much higher and putting pressure on the ball as soon as Joel Dixon rolls it out to a defender. I love the way we play but, I agree, that there are some times when it might be more prudent to be a little bit safer. However, I was sitting in a stand of mostly Dover supporters and, even though they were all jumping for joy when they got the winning goal, there were times during the second half when I heard people expressing the opinion that we were giving them a football lesson and that the game should have been over. At the end of the game although they were obviously delighted to have won I overheard a couple of them saying they could see why Barrow were at the top of the league.
Last edited by russell_anderson on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

russell_anderson wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:46 pm
mulholland wrote:

IMO like.
I wasn't at Solihull but was at the away matches before and after (Boreham Wood and Dover) and in both those games it was patently obvious that teams have been looking closely at the way we play and instead of their attacking players dropping off and giving our defenders time on the ball which they were definitely doing in the games I saw earlier in the season, they are now playing much higher and putting pressure on the ball as soon as Joel Dixon rolls it out to a defender. I love the way we play but, I agree, that there are some times when it might be more prudent to be a little bit safer. However, I was sitting in a stand of mostly Dover supporters and, even though they were all jumping for joy when they got the winning goal, there were times during the second half when I heard people expressing the opinion that we were giving them a football lesson and that the game should have been over. At the end of the game although they were obviously delighted to have won I overheard a couple of them saying they could see why Barrow were at the top of the league.
Torquay were also pressing us high up the pitch. Matt Platt is brilliant at making a mug of the pressing striker but jesus, it makes the heart skip when he does it :lol:
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

kikka

Post by kikka »

I'd say the thing to guard against now is a downward spiral of confidence and performance. To this end , while I'm certain that the manager, staff and players will be working hard to resolve this issue , it is important that we , as supporters , re-double our support for the club and make sure we get as many bodies and voices as possible behind the 'big push' coming over the next weeks. If we all pull in the same direction it will help.

Added to this I re-iterate what I suggested last week ... maybe it's time to try to add one or more quality loan signings if we can to avoid the impact of 'exhaustion' and help to ensure we have adequate cover for any 'injuries, viruses and suspensions' the squad may get. In addition they could help to help boost competition and give an added spur to the squad as we move onwards and upwards ( a touch of Semper Sursum ! )

I've just been reading what Slaven Bilic and Jake Livermore at West Brom said today about the addition of Callum Robinson on loan - "We all need that little lift, added competition and diversity that new faces bring to the club. We’ve got different options now and it gives us confidence.” . Devante Rodney now on loan at Halifax has had a similar initial impact.

Stick with it guys we can make it . :scarf:
Last edited by kikka on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First match : Barrow v Northampton Town : Sat. 24th Sept. 1960 ... won 1-0... ( which was nice )

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty »

I am not concerned about confidence / performance in the slightest and neither will the team be. We have so many players in the side who can deliver the “big chance pass”. This is why we are top scorers. At the other end, last night was one of those games and there should be absolutely no doubting us.

We don’t need any additions.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

We go again, rise to the challenges ahead, simple as!
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

Big E
Veteran Member

Post by Big E »

Sounds like we missed enough chances to win 3 games last night - no need to panic, jeez its one game in 3 months!!

Barrowabc
Gold Member

Post by Barrowabc »

Barra Marra wrote:
I am starting to really like your posts, as my thinking also, keep it up and I like honest x
Love many, trust afew, but always paddle your own canoe ! My spelling is gash