Barrow v Dover match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
Barra Marra

Re: Barrow v Dover match thread

Post by Barra Marra »

Mike wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm
Dover’s time-wasting was embarrassing, especially in the first half.

Their playing style reminded me of Atherton - lump it to the big lad up front and see what happens. They were loving those ineffective long throws in the second half. Imagine walking up a big hill to watch that garbage.

Great win for us, hopefully the start of another unbeaten run. With previous Barrow teams I’d be fearful seeing us take a one-goal lead into ten mins of injury time, but I’ve got much more belief in this side.

It’s got to be demoralising for Harrogate to have a long, wasted journey and to see us grab another win.
We were saying exactly that. Garbage. Long ball to effiong and hope for something to happen. They were doing their best to kill off any chance of seeing some actual football all night with their time wasting and hoofball. Ironically they looked dangerous for the ten or so minute spell where they passed it on the deck, then reverted to hoofing it again. Really thought it was going to be one of them nights but 3 points is in the bag. Makes the frostbite worth it. Really hope their lad is ok. From where we were, it looked like he was spark out before he hit the deck. Horrible to see but good to see a quick response from all the medical staff. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I don't really know how Joel was MOTM either. His kicking was good I suppose :lol:
White for me. I thought he had a great game in the midfield.
Last edited by Barra Marra on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Mike wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm
Dover’s time-wasting was embarrassing, especially in the first half.

Their playing style reminded me of Atherton - lump it to the big lad up front and see what happens. They were loving those ineffective long throws in the second half. Imagine walking up a big hill to watch that garbage.

Great win for us, hopefully the start of another unbeaten run. With previous Barrow teams I’d be fearful seeing us take a one-goal lead into ten mins of injury time, but I’ve got much more belief in this side.

It’s got to be demoralising for Harrogate to have a long, wasted journey and to see us grab another win.
Sounds as though Dover played exactly as they did in their home match against us. That evening I thought they were an awful team to watch which did not a lot more than lump it up the field to the big lump that is Effiong or relied on long throws and corners. Barrow should have scored 4 or 5 that evening and it seems as though the same thing should have happened tonight. The difference in the 2 games was that Hird was injured for the match at Dover and the defence looked unusually shakey but was back to normal tonight.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Dover are such a horrible team to beat in these circumstances. I was really fearing that a point was all we'd get. A win is absolutely fantastic. A vital three points at a pivotal point in the season against one of the most miserly teams (away from home). After the previous loss, the weather interruption and all the Evatt shenanigans the importance of tonight cant be understated.

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:08 pm
CH BAFC wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:06 pm
Who cares about attendances.....
The board; who’ve gone all out wages wise to make sure we kept Platt and White, and got Jones back
A very good point. Plus money needed for ground improvements.

Matty
Platinum Member

Post by Matty »

PerthBluebird wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:51 pm
Matty wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Try again.
Half term free kids entry no local football most off work not great is it matty or is 2000 in your eyes good attendance?
I was on about the maths. The attendance could've been better, could've been worse. Some of those that would have been going this season will be armchair supporters of Liverpool and they'd probably rather monitor our result from the living room whilst watching that game given it was a cold and windy night.
Last edited by Matty on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Popular side since '03.

Conference North Champions 2014-15

AugustusCorpa
Bronze Member

Post by AugustusCorpa »

The attendances will be around the 3000 mark for all the games in March.
We won’t have another attendance of only just over 2000 for the remainder of the season.
Last edited by AugustusCorpa on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Blue not manky tangerine..

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

AugustusCorpa wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:35 am
The attendances will be around the 3000 mark for all the games in March.
We won’t have another attendance of only just over 2000 for the remainder of the season.
Hope your right??

Wasn't great weather last night but these players are like warriors and they get out and on with it with their heads held high.. some people need to have a word and get out and right behind this team because they bloody well deserve it!
The end is so close and it's still like a strange dream to me...

madplumpy

Post by madplumpy »

I think the attendance of 2000 should be looked at as a positive and a measure of how we have improved.
Awful weather..champions league on the telly...
12 month ago we would have been lucky to scrape 1200!
Btw the average is up 39% on the last season (and climbing) and we've already beaten last seasons sum total attendance with 6 games to go!

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

Very odd game, 1-0 is obviously close result-wise but the gulf between the teams (especially the first half) was huge. We could’ve quite easily gone in at HT 4 or 5 up but a combination of things kept it a bit too close for comfort. I thought Angus & Quigley were fantastic, never stopped chasing, running, tackling, one of them two MOTM in my opinion.
It was so important that we didn’t give Harrogate a sniff of a blip last night, even better that they have still to fit in another game now.

Holkerbird wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:56 am
[quote=HenneysKnee post_id=417708 time=<a href="tel:1582067335">1582067335</a> user_id=10385]
[quote="CH BAFC" post_id=417706 time=<a href="tel:1582067182">1582067182</a> user_id=43273]
Who cares about attendances.....
The board; who’ve gone all out wages wise to make sure we kept Platt and White, and got Jones back
[/quote]
A very good point. Plus money needed for ground improvements.
[/quote]

That’s exactly it, the BoDs need people through the gates for any number of reasons, not least funding two more players that won’t have been budgeted for. The last home game was seventeen days ago!
Last edited by spirit of 1990 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

I hope fans turn up at the Cross bar on Saturday teatime and support the club for the televised game. Money over the bar all helps.

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach »

Holkerbird wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 am
I hope fans turn up at the Cross bar on Saturday teatime and support the club for the televised game. Money over the bar all helps.
Does the money over the bar go to the club?

JammyBluebird
Veteran Member

Post by JammyBluebird »

boyliegladbach wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:36 am
Holkerbird wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 am
Does the money over the bar go to the club?
Over a certain % of takings go to the club I believe

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

This thread :lol: :lol: :lol: We win another game so people have to go to the attendances to moan at. Some people honestly. :roll:

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

Also, whether its 7-0 or 1-0 i dont care as long as the performance is good and we get 3 points.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

BAFC_98 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:55 am
This thread :lol: :lol: :lol: We win another game so people have to go to the attendances to moan at. Some people honestly. :roll:
If people want to comment on the attendance so what? People aren’t moaning at the result that’s got nothing to do with why they’re mentioning the attendance. If next seasons budget (promotion or not) is worked out on lower attendances it will have the knock-on of the quality of player we can go into the market for.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.