A forum for previous match threads.
Bombadel

Re: Barrow v Dover match thread

Post by Bombadel »

russell_anderson wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Walneywanderer1979 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm
What is wrong with people the attendance was alright considering the weather look how far we have come yes it would of been nice to get more people in but we didn't we will have bigger crowds as the season draws to a close especially with some bigger teams to play that will bring 500 + support hopefully we will be celebrating a return to the football league in front of a capacity crowd what sort of average crowd do people think we would attract in the football league then I'd say 2k average
And a 2k average would put us 23rd out of 24 in the current Division 2 averages for this season which is hardly a level to give the board much chance of improving the team. Even a 4k average would only put us 14th out of 24. 2,000 isn't bad for a Tuesday night match but it's nothing spectacular for a team which was 4 points ahead at the top of the league.
Well said, we had 3 championship players in the team at one point last night and top of the league, come on Barrow!

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

I said yesterday that anything 2000+ would be an achievement with the weather, CL on telly etc. It's a sign of the times that this is a disappointing figure to a lot of people (me included) and it's a good sign compared with past seasons. We'd all love more folk to get out and support the lads but, unfortunately, this generally only happens when circumstances are right and is affected by weather, opponents, telly schedule etc. We are where we are. Last night was a great effort all things considered. If this is the figure the club can rely on as "regulars" then things are going in the right direction. Add on the casuals and big game fans and things are looking up for future games. Not long ago this would have been lauded as a huge crowd, so let's see it as a good thing. I don't think people are going to come.out in numbers all of a sudden and be die hards when they havent been before. I do, however, think the board are doing great things to attract the next generation of die hards with the under 16/under 12 offers. These will be our future supporters and hopefully they'll come in numbers for many years to come as adults. It will, though, take time for these initiatives to bear fruit. But you've got to start somewhere eh?
As for it being disappointing in the context of the season, yes, it was a little bit of a dip and we'd all like to see the folk of Barrow and the wider area get down in more numbers, but rallying cries on here are preaching to the converted. no point arguing with each other about it. The trend is upwards, much like our direction in the football pyramid. :scarf: :scarf:
Last edited by Barra Marra on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances

Tomo

Post by Tomo »

Just read on the national league forum that barrow deserve to go up but we have a shocking support considering were champions elect coyps. (Not sure what coyps means )

Angela
Gold Member

Post by Angela »

Tomo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:32 pm
Just read on the national league forum that barrow deserve to go up but we have a shocking support considering were champions elect coyps. (Not sure what coyps means )
could be a Notts County supporter - think they go with 'come on you pies'

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Tomo wrote:
That comment could only come from a supporter of National League teams who have been in the football league more recently, eg Notts County, Wrexham, possibly Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Stockport. My reply would be : "Wait until you have been in non league for 48 years and see what crowds you get".

Walneywanderer1979

Post by Walneywanderer1979 »

I think it would be realistic to only budget for around 2k maybe 2500k as we probably wouldn't be winning as much as we are now I'd say we would be pulling in over 3500k first few games as of the novelty value and the bigger games morecambe, carlisle, bolton, oldham, Bradford if there not promoted etc should pull in 4k plus
Last edited by Walneywanderer1979 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Big E
Veteran Member

Post by Big E »

Barra Marra wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:56 pm
I said yesterday that anything 2000+ would be an achievement with the weather, CL on telly etc. It's a sign of the times that this is a disappointing figure to a lot of people (me included) and it's a good sign compared with past seasons. We'd all love more folk to get out and support the lads but, unfortunately, this generally only happens when circumstances are right and is affected by weather, opponents, telly schedule etc. We are where we are. Last night was a great effort all things considered. If this is the figure the club can rely on as "regulars" then things are going in the right direction. Add on the casuals and big game fans and things are looking up for future games. Not long ago this would have been lauded as a huge crowd, so let's see it as a good thing. I don't think people are going to come.out in numbers all of a sudden and be die hards when they havent been before. I do, however, think the board are doing great things to attract the next generation of die hards with the under 16/under 12 offers. These will be our future supporters and hopefully they'll come in numbers for many years to come as adults. It will, though, take time for these initiatives to bear fruit. But you've got to start somewhere eh?
As for it being disappointing in the context of the season, yes, it was a little bit of a dip and we'd all like to see the folk of Barrow and the wider area get down in more numbers, but rallying cries on here are preaching to the converted. no point arguing with each other about it. The trend is upwards, much like our direction in the football pyramid. :scarf: :scarf:
Think it was a good indicator that we cant get complacent in advertising and promoting ganes etc. You wouldnt buy a new brand of beans if you saw it advertised once ir twice, but if its constantly being pushed you'll eventually go and give a try.

Shaun
Gold Member

Post by Shaun »

Angela wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:55 pm
... think they go with 'come on you pies'
Wouldn't eat one of those then.

Brilliant 3 points, that is all.
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen »

Jim wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:58 pm
Tomo wrote:
That comment could only come from a supporter of National League teams who have been in the football league more recently, eg Notts County, Wrexham, possibly Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Stockport. My reply would be : "Wait until you have been in non league for 48 years and see what crowds you get".
Exactly.

We are currently getting better gates than - for example - League two Morecambe FC who have a comparable demographic to Barrow.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Any highlights available for this match?

Electricblues
Veteran Member

Post by Electricblues »

Jim wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:50 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvZZnA4ugk

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Electricblues wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 am
Jim wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:50 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvZZnA4ugk
Thanks, great to watch. We played some lovely football, looked like one of our best performances of the season.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Great highlights. Shows what a good game their keeper Had (kicking aside). Had to have a giggle at the Dover forum. Apparently they thought we were nothing special and they should've had a draw or better. Guess they didn't see us tear them apart at will. Should be been 3 up at half time. They hit the bar with a long strike and Dixon made one regulation save but can't remember them doing much else. If anyone but their keeper got MOM for them it's a travesty. Shouldve been at least 4 goals in that game but we got the points and that's all that matters.

BAFC_98

Post by BAFC_98 »

Barra Marra wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:37 pm
Great highlights. Shows what a good game their keeper Had (kicking aside). Had to have a giggle at the Dover forum. Apparently they thought we were nothing special and they should've had a draw or better. Guess they didn't see us tear them apart at will. Should be been 3 up at half time. They hit the bar with a long strike and Dixon made one regulation save but can't remember them doing much else. If anyone but their keeper got MOM for them it's a travesty. Shouldve been at least 4 goals in that game but we got the points and that's all that matters.
Sounds similar to the Torquay fans :lol: Some people cant just cant handle little old barrow being top.

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Screenshot_20200220-125755.png
Screenshot_20200220-125755.png (117.32 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Must've watched a different first half to me then.
Ronald Allen knows :lol:
Last edited by Barra Marra on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.