BARROW V Dagenham match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
SayitagainSam

Re: BARROW V Dagenham match thread

Post by SayitagainSam »

Rooney's penalty was the easiest for any goalie to save (going the right-way) not-high, not-low, half-way up, and not blasted either. Think last time he scored it was right in the centre. Close to a Panenka from memory?

Sonofsam

Post by Sonofsam »

:scarf: When you put in the hard work you reap the rewards that was a fantastic result against a decent dagenham team in atrocious conditions their goal was well worked both teams played good against the wind its coming home

CH BAFC

Post by CH BAFC »

Crossbar is bouncing, what a game, hard win in tough conditions..... it starting to look good lads.

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

That was a very brave rearguard action in the second half. Conditions were difficult throughout the entire 90 minutes but they became much more severe in the last half hour and so we had by far the worst of it, playing into the rapidly deteriorating conditions. For the benefit of those listening on radio in faraway sunny climes let me assure you the conditions were evil in the last half an hour and yet, in the face of it all, I don't think D&R actually managed to test Dixon which is testament to how well we battled against the elements. Great credit to everyone.

Mark Johnson
Silver Member

Post by Mark Johnson »

Is this the most, points wise, we've been ahead?

I remember our healthiest lead was 7 points clear with a game in hand, but not sure we've been as many as 8 points clear (albeit having played a game more now)

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab »

Great team performance all over the park --especially the back three and Hardcastle
Bring on next week !!

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Mark Johnson wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:24 pm
Is this the most, points wise, we've been ahead?

I remember our healthiest lead was 7 points clear with a game in hand, but not sure we've been as many as 8 points clear (albeit having played a game more now)
Yes I think you're correct. It's effectively 9 points when the goal difference advantage is taken into account or a minimum three game swing. If we could maintain that or push it out by another point in the next couple of games and get the gap to effectively ten points it would become a very difficult gap to close. The next two home games are really important therefore. Moreover our remaining matches are still nicely spaced. Our rivals' are not.

MikeRenney

Post by MikeRenney »

Ian Evatt in his radio interview said it was the last day of winter i.e. start of spring. I mentioned this to my wife who said the first day of spring is the twentieth of March and he should stick to football. Anyone got anything for me to argue back or is she correct, again.
Joking aside a great effort from our team who never say never, the spirit and fight is second to none. Looks as though all the opposition now have a high press to stop us playing it out so hope we can continue to counter this and keep winning games

Mr Zebedee

Post by Mr Zebedee »

MikeRenney wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:28 pm
Ian Evatt in his radio interview said it was the last day of winter i.e. start of spring. I mentioned this to my wife who said the first day of spring is the twentieth of March and he should stick to football. Anyone got anything for me to argue back or is she correct, again.
Joking aside a great effort from our team who never say never, the spirit and fight is second to none. Looks as though all the opposition now have a high press to stop us playing it out so hope we can continue to counter this and keep winning games
There's only one season you need to know about

It starts in August and finishes in May of the following year
It is called the football season :scarf:

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

MikeRenney wrote:
The start of spring in the UK is 21st March and each season thereafter also starts on the 21st of the month. It's 20th March in all timezones in north America, not the UK.

Matty Bassdriver

Post by Matty Bassdriver »

barrowfan wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:21 am
MikeRenney wrote:
The start of spring in the UK is 21st March and each season thereafter also starts on the 21st of the month. It's 20th March in all timezones in north America, not the UK.
In my capacity as a Geography graduate I should point out that you are all correct! The dates you refer to correspond to the definition of ‘astronomical winter’. Yesterday was the last day of ‘meteorological winter’, so Evo was correct too: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/le ... nter-start 👍
Evo’s reference to seasons in his interview was about his hope for better weather with the arrival of spring. Current forecast has wind speed next Saturday PM of 16mph, rather the 60+mph of today! Hopefully proves accurate and our lads can go back to playing their usual possession game v Notts County🤞

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

MikeRenney wrote:
Anyone got anything for me to argue back or is she correct, again.
Whatever Ian Evatt says is correct; the man can do no wrong

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

Looking at the early morning photos of the pitch, who would have thought that it would be playable?
Gareth and all those who contributed their efforts to get the game on in such atrocious conditions deserve the highest praise and our heartfelt thanks.
All the hardy souls supporting and the players out on the pitch suffering Arctic weather to get three valued points will be rewarded with our Champions of National League
status come seasons end.
I.hope the club have contingency plans in place for Commemorative merchandise to celebrate---just don't implement them yet as we don't want to tempt fate.

On a happy note Congratulations to Beverly and Paul Hornby in the safe arrival of their son. We have another Bluebird. 😊

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian »

Another Hornby triumph - congratulations!

Barra Marra

Post by Barra Marra »

Superb result in horrendous conditions. Shows again that this team are not a one trick pony and can adapt from the pleasing passing style and grind it out when situations demand it.
Absolutely soaked and freezing and a rather long, damp drive back north, but well worth it. :scarf:
We all live in the back of Holker Street, the back of Holker Street* :scarf:

*the above statement may not actually reflect real life circumstances