Solihull v Barrow match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Mulholland Drive
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 am
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by Mulholland Drive » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:40 pm

the_city_of_urswick wrote:
Steelworks End wrote:Have to say that, in my mind, Barrow's first goal has to go down as an own goal; it wouldn't have gone in had Breedon not - rather unfortunately for him - got his body in the way of the ball.

Our second, I'm not sure crossed the line; maybe the officials thought that it made up for a first half attempt that the home 'keeper was adjudged to have blocked on the line? Sixties goal-line technology (a Russian linesman) at its best?
Yep definitely an own goal for the first , and the ball did cross the line for the second (well done to the linesman for that as it was cleared straight away and most officials at this level would have played on)

The Non-League Paper today has a photo of Andy Cook's goal which shows the ball clearly over the line. I was standing on the other side at the match and it looked as though it did not.
We don't remember the days, we remember the moments

Kieran
Gold Member
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by Kieran » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Mulholland Drive wrote:
the_city_of_urswick wrote: Yep definitely an own goal for the first , and the ball did cross the line for the second (well done to the linesman for that as it was cleared straight away and most officials at this level would have played on)

The Non-League Paper today has a photo of Andy Cook's goal which shows the ball clearly over the line. I was standing on the other side at the match and it looked as though it did not.
Thank god for that, me and the liner seemed to be the only ones in the ground who could see it was over as everyone else didn't think it was. There was no doubt about it.

User avatar
McMark
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11316
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by McMark » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:47 pm

Appears that bit of luck you need on the road has returned! A brilliant result and top of the league with two home games on the bounce, great news!

K-Man
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5104
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Qatar
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by K-Man » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:29 pm

Kie I don't have the paper to hand but it was well over lad.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by boyliegladbach » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:37 pm

Just watched highlights, I'm quite glad there 3rd went in as it looks like grand tried to throw his arm at it to stop it. And that means he probably would have been sent ofg

Could be wrong though.

User avatar
John Very Little
Platinum Member
Posts: 4136
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:32 am
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by John Very Little » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:12 am

spirit of 1990 wrote:I hope the attendace next week reflects what's happening on (& off) the pitch. It's alway's lower on Saturdays than Tuesdays but can we expect 1600+? lets hope so.
On the point about the attendance I've seen a few comments like the above and even mention 2000 on facebook but I think that's way OTT. So far this season the number of Barrow fans attending the 3 home games is approx 1440, 1285 & 1380. Lots of extra people aren't just gonna turn up for a bog standard league game on a Saturday just because we've gone top of the league (unless some get free tickets).

Quite a few don't attend because they play local football on a Saturday, around 15 of the choir are away (plus some of their mates may not go as a result), many were alienated last season and haven't returned etc. I know its usual to talk the attendance up but I think the club need to be realistic about the crowds they're gonna get as saying we'll get way above what they'll actually get will make them look stupid. I think more people will return gradually rather than all at once and there is a limit as to how many will watch Conf North football on a regular basis.

User avatar
barrowfan_chris
Platinum Member
Posts: 3508
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: The Former Republic of Barrovia.
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by barrowfan_chris » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:14 am

Agree tidds no way will we get 2000.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by spirit of 1990 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 am

John Very Little wrote:
spirit of 1990 wrote:I hope the attendace next week reflects what's happening on (& off) the pitch. It's alway's lower on Saturdays than Tuesdays but can we expect 1600+? lets hope so.
On the point about the attendance I've seen a few comments like the above and even mention 2000 on facebook but I think that's way OTT. So far this season the number of Barrow fans attending the 3 home games is approx 1440, 1285 & 1380. Lots of extra people aren't just gonna turn up for a bog standard league game on a Saturday just because we've gone top of the league (unless some get free tickets).

Quite a few don't attend because they play local football on a Saturday, around 15 of the choir are away (plus some of their mates may not go as a result), many were alienated last season and haven't returned etc. I know its usual to talk the attendance up but I think the club need to be realistic about the crowds they're gonna get as saying we'll get way above what they'll actually get will make them look stupid. I think more people will return gradually rather than all at once and there is a limit as to how many will watch Conf North football on a regular basis.
Probably the reason why I put "let's hope so"

1600 might be pushing it for a Saturday game at the moment but if we carry on like we are I don't think it's too far off or unrealistic, 2000 is though!
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Shaun
Gold Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by Shaun » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 am

Anyone got a link to any video highlights please?
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."

User avatar
Steeley
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5750
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by Steeley » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:05 pm

Bish=God

Shaun
Gold Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by Shaun » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Brilliant, thanks.
Our last goal was a peach too.
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 am

Sloppy defending from us with their second & third.

Ellisons was a cracker.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:29 pm

John Very Little wrote:
spirit of 1990 wrote:I hope the attendace next week reflects what's happening on (& off) the pitch. It's alway's lower on Saturdays than Tuesdays but can we expect 1600+? lets hope so.
On the point about the attendance I've seen a few comments like the above and even mention 2000 on facebook but I think that's way OTT. So far this season the number of Barrow fans attending the 3 home games is approx 1440, 1285 & 1380. Lots of extra people aren't just gonna turn up for a bog standard league game on a Saturday just because we've gone top of the league (unless some get free tickets).

Quite a few don't attend because they play local football on a Saturday, around 15 of the choir are away (plus some of their mates may not go as a result), many were alienated last season and haven't returned etc. I know its usual to talk the attendance up but I think the club need to be realistic about the crowds they're gonna get as saying we'll get way above what they'll actually get will make them look stupid. I think more people will return gradually rather than all at once and there is a limit as to how many will watch Conf North football on a regular basis.
Not really too much OTT in the end John :D
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
McMark
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11316
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Solihull v Barrow match thread

Post by McMark » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Looking for how many away supporters went to the Solihull game and also the Harrogate game, a rough idea give or take 1 either side will do ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuz66, Stand By Me, stevec00k and 31 guests