Barrow in the cup

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Re: Barrow in the cup

Post by barrowaberdeen »

Gents, on the subject of history there's a lad (from Barrow) who has done well for himself and wants to make a film re this season, about the journey from 72 to now.

He seems pretty clued up (ie not Casson the Movie) and if anyone wanted to talk to them when they visit Barrow (whenever that will be) can you please e-mail [email protected]

The club know about it. It's in early stages.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Would love to see the footage from Casson The Movie; would put Sunderland Till I Die to shame

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Would love to see the footage from Casson The Movie; would put Sunderland Till I Die to shame
It must be knocking about somewhere? Let the people see it!
Bish=God

SKIPPER
Platinum Member

Post by SKIPPER »

Have to say the Wolves game memorable for my dad going up to HS with a shovel the night before to help clear the pitch the Southampton and Leicester (poignantly with 'Arrers own-goal of the century) games are at the forefront. However a couple of earlier ones spring to mind. Chester in the early 60's my first away trip alone. We were pelted by Chester fans with still lit fag-ends - no segregation in them days - a fact I alluded to in a Football Monthly competition to win a ten bob postal order ! Earlier the Hartlepool game prior round to Wolves. I was in cubs and it clashed with annual handicraft competition at the Victoria Hall for which I had numerous entries.I was like a bear with a sore head for days leading up to it my dad finally relenting and allowing me to slip away in time for the kick off.To be fair a hell of a lot of non-league games are memorable for the wrong reasons -(Brandon United et al)

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen »

Steeley wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:17 pm
HenneysKnee wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Do you think Paul Casson should take some credit for getting AFC back in the EFL should this eventually come to be?
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach »

Wintergreen wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm
Steeley wrote:

Do you think Paul Casson should take some credit for getting AFC back in the EFL should this eventually come to be?
Yes

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

Wintergreen wrote:
Steeley wrote:

Yeah he got us back up to this level and with a few ups and downs along the way we've built until now.
Bish=God

whitty1969
Gold Member

Post by whitty1969 »

Wintergreen wrote:
Steeley wrote:

No. Got us promoted with a huge budget but that's about it.
No investment in the infastrcture. Ground and cross bar was in a shocking state.
Gave a shit load of money to Coxy who spunked it all up.
What could this board and ian Evatt do with the money we have wasted?

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

Think you’re being a tad bit harsh there.
Yes they made mistakes along the way and the way they parted wasn’t great but you only have to look at Workington and where they are in the football spectrum right now.

That could quite easily of been us had Paul Casson not come in when he did.

I’m not saying we should be building a statue and dedicating our achievements to him but he does deserve a degree of thanks for injecting life into the club at a time when it was circling the drain.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Paul Casson definitely deserves thanks for his part in this; Andrew on the other hand.........

russell_anderson
Gold Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Paul Casson had good intentions and spent huge amounts of money. What he didn't know was how to run a football club properly. Now we have people with less money but who obviously know how to run a club very well. I just hope coronavirus doesn't bankrupt our club and owners!

whitty1969
Gold Member

Post by whitty1969 »

Adam29 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:00 am
Think you’re being a tad bit harsh there.
Yes they made mistakes along the way and the way they parted wasn’t great but you only have to look at Workington and where they are in the football spectrum right now.

That could quite easily of been us had Paul Casson not come in when he did.

I’m not saying we should be building a statue and dedicating our achievements to him but he does deserve a degree of thanks for injecting life into the club at a time when it was circling the drain.
Your probably right there Adam. I take it back.
Just disappointed how much he spent and how it was all wasted. Disappointed how it all ended. Some of the wages we were paying were outrageous.

Stu1

Post by Stu1 »

Paul Casson left us with Ian Evatt ......Thankyou Paul

Hadrian
Platinum Member

Post by Hadrian »

Things to be disappointed about but you are right to take back what you said. Most of us with hindsight might say it could have been done differently with experienced business management and a tighter grip on spending. Some said so at the time.

You mention "got us promoted" and "huge budget". Reasons to be grateful to the Casson family, as was the unearthing of a gem in their final managerial appointment.

"No investment in infrastructure. Ground and Crossbar in a shocking state." Well, we have seen what a focus on properly-planned improvements to the ground, together with the relentless efforts of volunteers are achieving. But let's not ignore things like bringing community sports in-house, Crossbar improvements that were made under the Cass on ownership, including restoration of disabled access to the bar and the hospitality/training rooms, spending on the pitch and equipment to maintain it and purchase of broadcast quality equipment that enabled us to have highlights as good as any in the National League.

whitty1969
Gold Member

Post by whitty1969 »

Hadrian wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:04 am
Things to be disappointed about but you are right to take back what you said. Most of us with hindsight might say it could have been done differently with experienced business management and a tighter grip on spending. Some said so at the time.

You mention "got us promoted" and "huge budget". Reasons to be grateful to the Casson family, as was the unearthing of a gem in their final managerial appointment.

"No investment in infrastructure. Ground and Crossbar in a shocking state." Well, we have seen what a focus on properly-planned improvements to the ground, together with the relentless efforts of volunteers are achieving. But let's not ignore things like bringing community sports in-house, Crossbar improvements that were made under the Cass on ownership, including restoration of disabled access to the bar and the hospitality/training rooms, spending on the pitch and equipment to maintain it and purchase of broadcast quality equipment that enabled us to have highlights as good as any in the National League.
Hadrian, I am part of the volunteer group.
What we saw after the exit of the Cassons wasn't good.
Neglect everywhere. We quickly regrouped and started improving all areas and looking at ways the club could make money from our work.
The pie bar and the corporate rooms were the start.
18 months later lots of work has been completed.
However you would of been shocked at what we saw