Decisions being made

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
andyg

Re: Decisions being made

Post by andyg »

behind the goals wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 pm
While we wait for this soap opera to end and countless Clubs on the brink of going out of business I would like Paul Hornby to release a statement to reassure all Barrow AFC Supporters that the board of directors can get us through this difficult time and go forward together what ever league we find ourselves in, on another point what would happen if the National League null & void the season where would that leave the Club.
Unless Barrow have been told something and to keep it quiet until the EFL sort things out?

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

Hadrian wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 pm
At this point, with so many variables unresolved, I don't see how he possibly can.
Absolutely, outside of the PL and some of the bigger clubs in the championship how could any chairman possibly give assurances on something that (at the moment) no one knows what the outcome will be.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

behind the goals wrote:
While we wait for this soap opera to end and countless Clubs on the brink of going out of business I would like Paul Hornby to release a statement to reassure all Barrow AFC Supporters that the board of directors can get us through this difficult time and go forward together what ever league we find ourselves in, on another point what would happen if the National League null & void the season where would that leave the Club.
Sorry - disagree.

As we have seen there are so many scenarios it would be wise if AFC said nothing until their fate is known.

That is the time for a statement - not now.
Last edited by barrowfan on Sat May 23, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

SKIPPER wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:48 pm
Mrs Palios was on local news earlier. She is certainly against finishing the season with automatic relegation. Tranmere on a three match winning run just a couple of points from freedom with a game in hand. To be fair I think we would feel the same in their shoes.
Yes indeed. They are the worst affected by the current situation. I went to Blackpool v Tranmere just before the suspension and Tranmere hammered them. As someone pointed out however, Tranmere have this habit of investing in January when they see how bad things are going to be. It was working for them again this season. They could not have foreseen Covid-19. Very tough on them. But that's life.

As for Paul Hornby please give the guy a break and wait until our fate is decided. If we are promoted and do have to work to a £1.2m budget next season we are in a good place to do it. We should not fear the future. I dont think it'll be as bad as some think and we are in a better position to cope than some.

Dont ask the next question before the last question is answered.

behind the goals

Post by behind the goals »

Cheers Suffolk Blue really pleased we will be OK really like reading your points of view lets hope we have good news in the coming weeks and I have every faith in Paul and the rest of the board and the trust.

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

behind the goals wrote:
Like in a game of poker
You don’t reveal your hand until you really have to.

The board will issue statements when the time is right - sit tight and trust the people who are running the club

NORTHERNSOUL

Post by NORTHERNSOUL »

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 pm
Well a bit of an anti-climax.

I'm grateful to the Coventry City fans forum for the little I know that might have happened today but anybody that knows more or different please chip in.

It feels like the arguments raging such as they were mainly related to the L1 season and whether it should be curtailed. Essentially there was a single motion that the EFL members had to accept as a group to the effect that where there was a curtailment to the season then the outcome would be decided by unweighted PPG. This is not a one off vote but will be entered into the EFL regulations for the future. So there was no way that the EFL could force a vote in session. Regulation changes have protocols.

The clubs I believe have been told to go away and submit their votes remotely. Each Division then has to meet to take a decision whether to curtail or not and if not then confirm that they wish to play on. Play-off formats were outlined by the EFL yesterday. Now L2 has already committed to curtail their season so its a done deal. According to the Coventry City forum at least 8 L1 clubs have already declared publicly their support to end the season. So with 4 more votes L1 will come into line with L2.

My take therefore is that what we are waiting for is the motion to accept PPG being passed because as soon as it is it will be applied to L2 with promotion and relegation automatically assumed. The only issue is how long clubs have to make their votes and what the NL does whilst its waiting.

If I'm right then the L2 relegation issue is pretty much of a non-issue given that L2 unanimously voted to curtail their season last week. But it still could be a week or two before this is confirmed. And of course things can happen during that period.
Think you've just about got it spot on there SB

Strong indications coming out of Fleetwood Oxford and Portsmouth that they have all now changed their minds and will be voting to end the season on the FL terms no real surprise there as all 3 along with Wycombe are the 4 clubs who will be in the playoffs.

Which in effect means just one more vote needed for the majority to end the season on the Leagues terms [ pretty sure under the way its gone Bolton have said there's no point them voting for anything else ]

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

deadly wealdstone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 pm
Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony has called for all clubs to make public which way they vote.
He threatened to sue any club who voted to end the season the other week (probably an empty threat to try and force mid table teams to vote to continue) so no surprise he wants to know publicly which way clubs vote

whitty1969
Gold Member

Post by whitty1969 »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 am
deadly wealdstone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 pm
Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony has called for all clubs to make public which way they vote.
He threatened to sue any club who voted to end the season the other week (probably an empty threat to try and force mid table teams to vote to continue) so no surprise he wants to know publicly which way clubs vote
Just another arrogant owner who thinks his side are better than they are.
Theres a few in our league.....
Big clubs fallen from grace with sky high budgets but with a squad not good enough to be top of the league.

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro »

barrowfan wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 pm
behind the goals wrote:
Sorry - disagree.

As we have seen there are so many scenarios it would be wise if AFC said nothing until their fate is known.

That is the time for a statement - not now.
I think the Board have played it right keeping quiet, I think IE has done well with his advocacy and it's to football people not the elite

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro »

whitty1969 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 am
HenneysKnee wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 am

Big clubs fallen from grace with sky high budgets but with a squad not good enough to be top of the league.
The EFL lack of decision is going to cause a number of clubs go bust.
We may need several National league clubs to fill league teams places.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Wimbledon were one of the sides quoted as coming straight out of Friday's EFL meeting and announcing publicly that they were voting to end the L1 season. Given their position just above Tranmere perhaps not surprising.

Interesting language being used by the Wimbledon chief exec when he describes the season as moving towards "cancellation". That's odd because its not what he's apparently just voted for which is a "curtailment". Cancellation would be akin to null and void and he wasn't asked to vote for that. I wonder whether he was being deliberately vague or was trying to make some kind of a point.

mall
Veteran Member

Post by mall »

Pedro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:10 pm
whitty1969 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 am

"The EFL lack of decision is going to cause a number of clubs go bust.
We may need several National league clubs to fill league teams places.".....................What evidence is there to suggest this ?.

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro »

mall wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:05 am
Pedro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:10 pm

"The EFL lack of decision is going to cause a number of clubs go bust.
We may need several National league clubs to fill league teams places.".....................What evidence is there to suggest this ?.
Economics ,lack of income plus lots have clubs have stated they are struggling financially.
There will be alot of clubs living hand to mouth .