Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
Mark Johnson
Gold Member
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by Mark Johnson » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:41 pm

Sorry if I've missed it but is there a link to his BBC Cumbria interview? If there was one.


HenneysKnee
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8337
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by HenneysKnee » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:00 pm

I’d have snapped your hands off for 3 points from the Northampton, Tranmere, Hartlepool set of games. We got 4……

Jones and Platt in for Brown and Glennon Saturday (Brough back to left wing back) and Gotts (or White if Gotts still isn’t fully fit) in for Taylor

User avatar
Jim
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7261
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:14 pm

HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:00 pm I’d have snapped your hands off for 3 points from the Northampton, Tranmere, Hartlepool set of games. We got 4……

Jones and Platt in for Brown and Glennon Saturday (Brough back to left wing back) and Gotts (or White if Gotts still isn’t fully fit) in for Taylor
Compared with the majority of players, I don't think Brown did much wrong last night, apart from getting (rather unluckily IMO) his usual booking. I don't remember many serious attacks coming down our right side. He is a battler and seems very fit, and I think that is what Cooper wants.

Thinking back to the game, it occurred to me that a couple of weeks ago Cooper wanted players (Platt and Jones in particular) to put their head where it hurts and dominate the box, then we bring in Canavan, but then, ironically, Pools' tactics were pace and ball to feet, with relatively little aerial assault.

Matty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5366
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by Matty » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:20 pm

HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:00 pm I’d have snapped your hands off for 3 points from the Northampton, Tranmere, Hartlepool set of games. We got 4……

Jones and Platt in for Brown and Glennon Saturday (Brough back to left wing back) and Gotts (or White if Gotts still isn’t fully fit) in for Taylor
Platt will never play for us again apparently.
Popular side since '03.

walneyroad
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by walneyroad » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Matty wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:20 pm
Platt will never play for us again apparently.
Look forward to seeing him on Saturday then! ;)

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by russell_anderson » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:18 pm

The usual over-reaction just as there was when we managed to scrape through against Northampton and Tranmere without creating many chances against each albeit a couple of bad heading misses by Holloway. We were well beaten by a better team in Hartlepool who played much better football than either Northampton or Tranmere did against us.

In actual fact, although we were very much second best we could easily have scored another 3 goals. Brough (the only defender we have who knows how to get close and mark an opposition forward) failed to control a cross which would have been a tap in, a great save from their keeper to stop a shot from Holloway (I think) just after and another from James after he came on. That was actually as many chances as we created against Northampton and Tranmere combined.

As others have said, our loan signings have been very poor and I watched Banks with interest in the match once I noticed that he made no attempt to run back after we lost possession. He continued in the same manner for the whole match and hardly reached a trot at any time. He's been one of our better players this season but I hope he's decided he doesn't need to work now he's got a nice 2 1/2 year contract!

We are not a good team and IMO have only 2 players well above average in Brough and Rooney. I'd add a fit and firing Matt Platt to that group but we haven't seen that this season. The rest are a mixture of average or not good enough. Sadly, a couple of the players brought in who had been impressive when they arrived have gone downhill. Stevens very quickly followed later by Gotts. This team will have a real battle on its hands to avoid relegation and although teams around us also lost, the 2 we really needed to lose both won i.e. Scun*thorpe and Oldham as I was hoping they would get completely tailed off. That looks unlikely now so we have a battle royal ahead for the rest of the season!

jaycarter
Senior Member
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by jaycarter » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:29 pm

I cannot understand why he only played with one centre back when Jones was obviously fit and did not look happy at the warm up, I think he has improved a lot this season compared with last season and if Cooper is leaving him out for other reasons than fitness he should seriously be considered for being dismissed because football does not work like that, also he is wasting Brough where he plays him he is our best player using him wide on the left really odd selection against a side who last won in December.

Bingley Blue
Senior Member
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by Bingley Blue » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:11 pm

russell_anderson wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:18 pm The usual over-reaction just as there was when we managed to scrape through against Northampton and Tranmere without creating many chances against each albeit a couple of bad heading misses by Holloway. We were well beaten by a better team in Hartlepool who played much better football than either Northampton or Tranmere did against us.

In actual fact, although we were very much second best we could easily have scored another 3 goals. Brough (the only defender we have who knows how to get close and mark an opposition forward) failed to control a cross which would have been a tap in, a great save from their keeper to stop a shot from Holloway (I think) just after and another from James after he came on. That was actually as many chances as we created against Northampton and Tranmere combined.

As others have said, our loan signings have been very poor and I watched Banks with interest in the match once I noticed that he made no attempt to run back after we lost possession. He continued in the same manner for the whole match and hardly reached a trot at any time. He's been one of our better players this season but I hope he's decided he doesn't need to work now he's got a nice 2 1/2 year contract!

We are not a good team and IMO have only 2 players well above average in Brough and Rooney. I'd add a fit and firing Matt Platt to that group but we haven't seen that this season. The rest are a mixture of average or not good enough. Sadly, a couple of the players brought in who had been impressive when they arrived have gone downhill. Stevens very quickly followed later by Gotts. This team will have a real battle on its hands to avoid relegation and although teams around us also lost, the 2 we really needed to lose both won i.e. Scun*thorpe and Oldham as I was hoping they would get completely tailed off. That looks unlikely now so we have a battle royal ahead for the rest of the season!
I sometimes think this forum can no longer surprise me and then some football expert comes along and questions Ollie Banks’ commitment.

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by blue nige » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:54 pm

Two of the goals were down to Brough backing off / turning away he's done this numerous times this season I've never rated him as a central defender he's too weak but a brilliant left back !

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool v Barrow match thread

Post by russell_anderson » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:58 am

Bingley Blue wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:11 pm
russell_anderson wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:18 pm The usual over-reaction just as there was when we managed to scrape through against Northampton and Tranmere without creating many chances against each albeit a couple of bad heading misses by Holloway. We were well beaten by a better team in Hartlepool who played much better football than either Northampton or Tranmere did against us.

In actual fact, although we were very much second best we could easily have scored another 3 goals. Brough (the only defender we have who knows how to get close and mark an opposition forward) failed to control a cross which would have been a tap in, a great save from their keeper to stop a shot from Holloway (I think) just after and another from James after he came on. That was actually as many chances as we created against Northampton and Tranmere combined.

As others have said, our loan signings have been very poor and I watched Banks with interest in the match once I noticed that he made no attempt to run back after we lost possession. He continued in the same manner for the whole match and hardly reached a trot at any time. He's been one of our better players this season but I hope he's decided he doesn't need to work now he's got a nice 2 1/2 year contract!

We are not a good team and IMO have only 2 players well above average in Brough and Rooney. I'd add a fit and firing Matt Platt to that group but we haven't seen that this season. The rest are a mixture of average or not good enough. Sadly, a couple of the players brought in who had been impressive when they arrived have gone downhill. Stevens very quickly followed later by Gotts. This team will have a real battle on its hands to avoid relegation and although teams around us also lost, the 2 we really needed to lose both won i.e. Scun*thorpe and Oldham as I was hoping they would get completely tailed off. That looks unlikely now so we have a battle royal ahead for the rest of the season!
I sometimes think this forum can no longer surprise me and then some football expert comes along and questions Ollie Banks’ commitment.
He never broke out into more than a trot when we lost possession in the whole match. If you didn't see that then you weren't watching very closely.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests