Barrow v Bradford match thread
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
Arguably they get more away fans due to better & bigger facilities & of course geography, BAFC building steadily 

Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
Stood in the ray wilkie stand and that was the best atmosphere ive had there the your not singing anymore was brilliant and very loud lets have more of it
-
2 doors up
- Member
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:23 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
Wonder how many tickets were sold for the game as opposed to those holding season tickets as will always have that number for starters, even if no one turns upMoribund wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:34 pm4,100 up from 2,800 for our first home match last season - that is a massive increase.Hadrian wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:10 pm I realise that there are valid reasons that may be trotted out (holidays, Tall Ships, tournament at the bridge club, Ulverston Nose Hair Plaiting Festival, etc.) but I thought a home attendance of c3350 was rather disappointing for the first game of the season with a new manager, many new signings, a new wall-decoration, all following a great start at Stockport.
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
Agreed, was a quality atmosphere, Matt platt made a mistake right in front of us as well, and the noise was epic
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8338
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
Agreed, was loudest I’ve heard the full ground for a very long time. Was surprised by the 4000 attendance though tbh, seemed plenty of room in the HS End
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
The 12th man is the atmosphere. Do you think it would sound like a home game at 0-0 with 1200 away fans? With the noise we make away I highly doubt it. Look a few years ago at fylde, we hadn’t won there in ages and we took 1,200 on Boxing Day and we made it sound like a home game and won 2-1. More away fans works commercially but not from a home team point of view. If that’s the case why not stick all the season tickets in the away end and sell the remaining 4000 tickets to Bradford?Kieran wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:51 pmI would've thought it's fairly simple. We rarely sell out our own sections completely, but there are clubs in this league who would bring close to double what our away end holds if allowed. A bigger away end would let them do this and increase revenue for us so everyone wins. Away capacity can (apparently) be increased by developing the existing away section without reducing home capacity also.
Our away end is a disgrace to be fair and definitely should be one of the first areas of the ground that is addressed. It's not just a bit shit, it's a complete embarrassment.
-
behind the goals
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2246
- Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
mall wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:53 pmWill be interesting to see how low the crowds will be in October and the rest of the season when the cost of living kicks in for families, we have 1,200 season tickets holders many might not bother having drinks before the game and food in the ground so of loss income to the club, the away support will be a couple of hundred if we are lucky, so like you say only a certain few who are not season ticket holders will be able to attend home games, why do we need 2,000 seats when we can`t get people to sit in them, the cost of living crisis will be here for a long time, football better get use to it.Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm
"One reason you failed to mention and the biggest reason that some might not have been there. The cost of living crisis. Set to get worse in October so given the circumstances the attendance was excellent IMO"
Spot on.
And come the back end of the year it will only be a certain few who can afford to take in home games, a lot of folk just wont have the money to attend Holker Street and other matches up and down the country.
-
bluessupporter
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3428
- Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:23 pm
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
behind the goals wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:58 pmWe need them to conform with EFL rules. I know what you're saying but other clubs would complain if we were not made to put them in, and we would be thrown out of the league.
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
I am an expert, reporting musculoskeletal and chest X-rays is my specialty! It’s what I do all day everyday. When a bone fractures, blood and fat are dispersed in to the joint capsule causing distension which we see externally as swelling, bruising is bleeding within the superficial soft tissues which can occur with ligamentous and/or tendinous injuries.Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:16 pmSince I’ve not heard anything to confirm it looks like the info I received regarding Rays injury might not be accurate. If so that’s great news and I’m sorry if I was premature. Believe me I’m more than happy to apologise. He’s a really good asset.
With regard to breaks and fractures I shall also leave that to the experts. Clearly swelling associated with either a break or a fracture is more to do with the damage to tissue as opposed to the bone so you can get swelling with both.
*PLOT TWIST* Not all fractures have marked soft tissue swelling or visible bruising, this is variable depending on the severity of the injury such as the force applied, number of fracture fragments, displacement and angulation.
Suffice to say, no one will really know by looking at him, if he is weight bearing then that’s a good sign but without medical imaging and confirmation from PW, it is wrong to speculate.
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
Etsjb wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:30 pmI am an expert, reporting musculoskeletal and chest X-rays is my specialty! It’s what I do all day everyday. When a bone fractures, blood and fat are dispersed in to the joint capsule causing distension which we see externally as swelling, bruising is bleeding within the superficial soft tissues which can occur with ligamentous and/or tendinous injuries.Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:16 pm
Since I’ve not heard anything to confirm it looks like the info I received regarding Rays injury might not be accurate. If so that’s great news and I’m sorry if I was premature. Believe me I’m more than happy to apologise. He’s a really good asset.
With regard to breaks and fractures I shall also leave that to the experts. Clearly swelling associated with either a break or a fracture is more to do with the damage to tissue as opposed to the bone so you can get swelling with both.
*PLOT TWIST* Not all fractures have marked soft tissue swelling or visible bruising, this is variable depending on the severity of the injury such as the force applied, number of fracture fragments, displacement and angulation.
Suffice to say, no one will really know by looking at him, if he is weight bearing then that’s a good sign but without medical imaging and confirmation from PW, it is wrong to speculate.
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8338
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
I’d be surprised if the cost of living crisis affects away attendances that much; teams you would expect to sell their allocations still will, teams like Salford will still be the ones who bring 200 at most
- Ste Story
- BarrowAFC.net Administrator
- Posts: 8192
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
- Location: Costa Del Barrow
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
Do many people really choose whether to attend an away game based on the quality of the away section? Always find this notion baffling, you go to watch your team on the pitch and to some extent have the day out accompanying it, personally couldn't give a shit how nice or grim an away section is when I went away.Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:51 pmgiven how the away end is I suspect a lot will not return. Bigger away followings means increased costs ie policing etc
Been to dozens of away games and tbh distance aside I imagine Barrow would be a half decent away day if you chose to make it so - plenty of pubs within walking distance of the ground, not some half-empty soulless all seater bowl where you're 100m away from the pitch, not miles out of town requiring long walk or taxis... What do people want, pot plants on the window sills and a nice persian rug?
Re: Barrow v Bradford match thread
All these things make a good away day, but if the view of the pitch is diabolical ( ie Holker Street) then I do think it stops away fans from going a 2nd/3rd/4th visit.Ste Story wrote: ↑Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:08 amDo many people really choose whether to attend an away game based on the quality of the away section? Always find this notion baffling, you go to watch your team on the pitch and to some extent have the day out accompanying it, personally couldn't give a shit how nice or grim an away section is when I went away.Main Stand SeasonTct wrote: ↑Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:51 pmgiven how the away end is I suspect a lot will not return. Bigger away followings means increased costs ie policing etc
Been to dozens of away games and tbh distance aside I imagine Barrow would be a half decent away day if you chose to make it so - plenty of pubs within walking distance of the ground, not some half-empty soulless all seater bowl where you're 100m away from the pitch, not miles out of town requiring long walk or taxis... What do people want, pot plants on the window sills and a nice persian rug?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bakewell Blue, Louis29 and 34 guests