Re: American Investor
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:03 pm
somehow I think this soap opera will run far longer than Dallas!
Would the directors loans be classed as footballing debts though?Spanner wrote:I think you're right up to a point. I'm speculating a bit here, but I'd guess that the issue is that he's probably not prepared to pay enough to the current business (for the existing assets) to pay off the Directors' loans. As members I presume we could authorise the sale of the business under those terms. However the sticking point then probably becomes the transfer of the football registration to the new business which would effectively be escaping our footballing debts. The Directors would therefore first need to write off those loans for the FA to approve the transfer of the registration, hence why they probably hold the cards in practice.Kieran wrote:What I don't understand is all the talk of what the board's value of the club/assets is, whether the deal is acceptable to the board or not etc. Surely it doesn't actually matter what the current board want? It's down to the members whether we are prepared to accept any proposal or not. The guy has indicated that he is prepared to hold an open meeting, so whats stopping this happening? Do it as far as I'm concerned.
Kieran wrote:Would the directors loans be classed as footballing debts though?Spanner wrote: I think you're right up to a point. I'm speculating a bit here, but I'd guess that the issue is that he's probably not prepared to pay enough to the current business (for the existing assets) to pay off the Directors' loans. As members I presume we could authorise the sale of the business under those terms. However the sticking point then probably becomes the transfer of the football registration to the new business which would effectively be escaping our footballing debts. The Directors would therefore first need to write off those loans for the FA to approve the transfer of the registration, hence why they probably hold the cards in practice.
You may be right, but as far I can see there is nothing to stop him approaching the membership directly. Or even, what is there to stop us calling an EGM to discuss the issue and deciding to make contact with him ourselves?
Pretty sure that they would be Kie.Kieran wrote:Would the directors loans be classed as footballing debts though?Spanner wrote: I think you're right up to a point. I'm speculating a bit here, but I'd guess that the issue is that he's probably not prepared to pay enough to the current business (for the existing assets) to pay off the Directors' loans. As members I presume we could authorise the sale of the business under those terms. However the sticking point then probably becomes the transfer of the football registration to the new business which would effectively be escaping our footballing debts. The Directors would therefore first need to write off those loans for the FA to approve the transfer of the registration, hence why they probably hold the cards in practice.
Unless the Trust itself was the largest shareholder you'd just get out-voted by the owner or other larger shareholders on any votes. I suspect we'd probably need a minimum of about half a million quid just to be the largest shareholder and I don't think there's any way we could raise this amount unless we converted into another ownership model. That would also take months to organise but the recent bidder could come back at any time.Jonty wrote:Would want to know more about the share scheme. The existing 500+ membership could regroup as a new BAFC supporters trust, Members fees and fundraising to buy into the share scheme and ensure some ownership in the new model. Perhaps some of the existing board would want to stay involved in this capacity.
110 trusts out there doing this.
There's not a cat in hells chance of this being his intention IMO because why on earth would he consider it ? too much hassle without any guarantee of success.barrowfan_chris wrote:Like people have already wrote why would he suddenly choose to buy Holker street when he lives in America and is a Barrow fan just to put houses on it.tictactoe wrote:To be honest can't decide if it would be good or bad. when Vaughan first came on the scene many were overjoyed but we all know how that turned out! what's to say this won't go down the same path, the guy reels us all in but at the end of the day is only after the land and a few years down the line the club are gone. On the flip side who says that won't happen if we carry on how we are at the moment. need to know more before I decide how I feel.
I don't think Jonty was suggesting that we become the largest shareholder? Thats clearly unrealistic at the present time. Doing what Jonty suggests so that we do own a share isn't though, and seems a sensible suggestion to me.John Very Little wrote:Unless the Trust itself was the largest shareholder you'd just get out-voted by the owner or other larger shareholders on any votes. I suspect we'd probably need a minimum of about half a million quid just to be the largest shareholder and I don't think there's any way we could raise this amount unless we converted into another ownership model. That would also take months to organise but the recent bidder could come back at any time.Jonty wrote:Would want to know more about the share scheme. The existing 500+ membership could regroup as a new BAFC supporters trust, Members fees and fundraising to buy into the share scheme and ensure some ownership in the new model. Perhaps some of the existing board would want to stay involved in this capacity.
110 trusts out there doing this.
kikka wrote:A lot of the problems seem to emanate from the present Board...
It seems that again and again their lack of drive and ambition - coupled with their reluctance to give up either their 'positions of power' and /or even one penny of the monies they feel they are owed is holding the club back .
Meanwhile ... potential investors appear to be being stalled or neglected until an offer which ensures a good return for the present directors is forthcoming . All this at a a time when it appears that the BoD are working their socks off to minimise any growing debt ( i.e. any more expense to themselves ) by going always for the cheapest option , while at the same time deferring any key information or action until , or beyond , the last possible date.
The most positive things recently appear to have come from that excellent collection of workers who have given up their own time to undertake key improvements around the ground- rather than from any actions of the BoD.
Come on guys ... you did do some good in the past , but now , it seems that everything is geared to protecting your own interests at the expense of progressing the club.
I hope I'm wrong ...
Both correct - it's what is known as the Keen Conundrum.blue nige wrote:the last time the board was questioned about the investor`s cffer,the answer given was that there was a "non-disclosure agreement" and anyway nothing had really been offered and it was pretty much a non-event,by reading last night`s mail it`s pretty obvious this was not the case,and they know that if we had known then what we know now pressure would have been put on them to at least try to get to a point where a decision had to be made!
i`m sure that they (the board) hoped that the guy would lose interest and go away!