Page 75 of 148

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:03 pm
by whitty1969

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:15 pm
by Moribund
whitty1969 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 pm Why the swear filter?
There's a four-letter word within that town's name.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:43 pm
by RedWeb
whitty1969 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 8:03 pm https://t.co/jSC3Z6Rsnd?ssr=true
That's cheered me up reading that. I have always been relatively confident we would go up either through direct promotion or Bury's replacement. Never bought the null and void rubbish. As Evo says, sport is about winners and losers.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:10 pm
by Jonty
RedWeb wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 9:43 pm
whitty1969 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 8:03 pm https://t.co/jSC3Z6Rsnd?ssr=true
That's cheered me up reading that. I have always been relatively confident we would go up either through direct promotion or Bury's replacement. Never bought the null and void rubbish. As Evo says, sport is about winners and losers.
We’d take that, of course we would, but I still think two teams should go up and see no reason why that could not happen using PPG. 4 up from League 2 (an extra promotion to replace Bury), 3 down from L1 Stevenage down, two up from NL. I think that still keeps numbers right and rewards success based upon games played.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:03 pm
by Hitthebar22
Sorry to bang on in a repetitive way, but nothing will be sorted until the PL finally decide their way forward, and in particular whether there will be promotion from, and relegation to, the championship. So many times I have said the knock on effect is obvious.
In this unique scenario we (and I’m only really concerned about Barrow) are minnows, with no bargaining power (I’ve said many times it’s about money). I don’t care if Harrogate/Notts County or anyone else has a case for promotion to EFL 2. Let them do their thing (including pointless threats of legal action if they think their arguments will hold water - they will not). There is a space that we as Barrow can and should fill as a last resort. I am a massive I.E fan, and have read and watched pretty much everything he has been involved with since lockdown. He champions the cause for Barrow very eloquently, but he is also understandably a self publicist and maybe there should be just a measure of not overdoing it for the greater good. He will go on to great things (and he admits he wants to be a PL manager). The one hour podcast on The Athletic is exceptional. A hugely impressive man. I hope he can get us into L1. With 1m to spend its definitely do-able.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:26 am
by Pedro
whitty1969 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 pm Columnist and [SwearFilter] fan

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... ow-4136214
Who is the Manager at Grimsby, Ian Holloway

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:08 am
by Shaun
The thought that keeps occupying me is about the actual physical reality of playing. I've seen tons of news pieces about droplets and/or aerosols and how face masks can prevent transmission over spaces metres wide. Now if you consider that footballers spit constantly - often a natural instinctive reaction to effort and running - the pitches could become a droplet/aerosol cloud of disease.
So what do we do? Do we start booking players for spitting...and how about social distancing at a corner, say?
It will only take one single contamination from one previously uncontaminated player and it's back to square one we go - quarantines and games postponed.

I just don't see how we can possibly have football games while this thing is still around. The only possible solution would be to test EVERYONE before and after a game perhaps, but while there are still a shedload of key workers untested because those tests aren't available to them, how is this in any way acceptable.

I say we bin it all - have success rewarded as the tables stand now, and don't relegate anyone. Then start again only once 100% safe to do so.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 am
by Adam29
Pedro wrote: ↑Sat May 16, 2020 1:26 am
whitty1969 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 pm Columnist and [SwearFilter] fan

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... ow-4136214
Who is the Manager at Grimsby, Ian Holloway
What’s that got to do with a reporter that supports a Lincolnshire rival to Grimsby?

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:06 am
by Jas79
Hitthebar22 wrote: ↑Fri May 15, 2020 11:03 pm With 1m to spend its definitely do-able.
I dont think the £1.2m L2 clubs get will remain unchanged. Risk that Barrow go up, suffer increased costs, but do not get a significant increase in income that could previously be relied upon.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:06 am
by Suffolk Blue
Adam29 wrote: ↑Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 am
Pedro wrote: ↑Sat May 16, 2020 1:26 am

Who is the Manager at Grimsby, Ian Holloway
What’s that got to do with a reporter that supports a Lincolnshire rival to Grimsby?
Did you really post that at 4.48 am Adam? Makes my midnight jottings look positively feeble.

Story below from NLP interviewing Simon Weaver at Harrogate. In keeping with the general demeanour of the guy his comments are very diplomatic. If it were me I'd have started my quotes with "My dad was speaking to the company lawyer yesterday evening and told him of the League 2 proposal. Once he'd stopped laughing he said he might be able to help".

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... elegation/

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:08 pm
by Jas79
Has the situation below the NL changed? How can NL expect EFL to relegate when they will not relegate to the leagues below?

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:27 pm
by Pedro
Adam29 wrote: ↑Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 am
Pedro wrote: ↑Sat May 16, 2020 1:26 am

Who is the Manager at Grimsby, Ian Holloway
What’s that got to do with a reporter that supports a Lincolnshire rival to Grimsby?
The report was in the Grimsby paper .It references Barrow twice .
I.E has been proactive and I am sure he will have talked to his former Manager Ian Holloway ,the article had no need to show Holker street or mention us.
I am sure I..E will have co opted Ian Holloway to out cause.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:43 pm
by Cromwell58
Lets hope we do not get stitched up.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:13 pm
by mall
Cromwell58 wrote: ↑Sat May 16, 2020 12:43 pm Lets hope we do not get stitched up.
Yes, I agree.
The way I see it, whatever the EFL and the FA do in the coming days, weeks or hours around promotion and relegation...they will be setting a president will they not.
In other words, there is nothing to say that this same situation will not arise again next season whenever that maybe.
So whatever decision they arrive at in this present predicament, one would think would have to be a constant in the future.

Re: Decisions being made

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:16 pm
by db1967
The Soccer Saturday team have just mentioned us on Sky