Sponsored by - S Rodgers, J Goodwin, B Millburn, PC Lettings, NSC, S Leonard, Give ‘em Beans, NSC & Surrey Barrovian

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Me and Ryan were at the ground until 8-10 tonight and we took a half hour off to sit by the dugout and eat some fish and chips (we had been there since before dinner time).
Beautiful warm evening and everything quiet but how that ground is shining and looking cared about. It is with a sense of pride that I say thank you to everyone who has played a part in whatever way to bring it all about. You can be proud of yourselves.

Looking back to 7 months months ago when I trailed around in the pouring rain gathering the litter and feeling as depressed as I have ever felt, picking up dead birds etc and observing a tired, worn out, falling apart ground, I never imagined in such a short space of time the transformation that has taken place.

We have shown that a few people with good intentions can make a difference.
Now COME ON BARROW---I can't wait. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

User avatar
bobbie moore
Bronze Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by bobbie moore » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Hope you deposited your fish and chip wrapping in the dedicated dustbin Elaine , ;) don't want any paper blowing onto pitch tomorrow :D :D :D
Seriously a BIG Very BIG THANKS to all involved in the ground improvements over close season thank you :scarf: :D

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Deposited in the appropriate bin Bobby of course. I couldn't believe I actually found myself collecting all the feathers our winged friends had deposited on the pitch. I think I have developed an illness of some sort. :lol:

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Jonty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Wonderfully said Elaine. On the eve of the season we have a ground we can be proud of
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:23 pm

P.S Thanks to KHayman and his mother who saw me arriving home and knocked the door as Kieron thought I was on crutches and was checking up on me. Very kind neighbours.

mrsenario
Gold Member
Posts: 1628
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by mrsenario » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Holkerbird wrote:Me and Ryan were at the ground until 8-10 tonight and we took a half hour off to sit by the dugout and eat some fish and chips (we had been there since before dinner time).
Beautiful warm evening and everything quiet but how that ground is shining and looking cared about. It is with a sense of pride that I say thank you to everyone who has played a part in whatever way to bring it all about. You can be proud of yourselves.

Looking back to 7 months months ago when I trailed around in the pouring rain gathering the litter and feeling as depressed as I have ever felt, picking up dead birds etc and observing a tired, worn out, falling apart ground, I never imagined in such a short space of time the transformation that has taken place.

We have shown that a few people with good intentions can make a difference.
Now COME ON BARROW---I can't wait. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
How did you get out tonight.....thought I d pop up to drop off the changing room mirrors earlier and workshop doors wide open so naturally Iocked up...ha
Ian phoned me to tell me I had locked you in...he was nearly choking on his Chinese laughing!!!

Now lets all down tools and enjoy some football..................till Sunday morning....well done to Ian for getting the plaques up for kick off its all come together nicely!!

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 pm

No Tommy, you had locked Ryan out as he couldn't put the tins of paint and brushes away. He saw you arrive on your moped--I thnk he passed you on his pushbike when he was coming back from the chippie. Has it got a motor? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrsenario
Gold Member
Posts: 1628
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by mrsenario » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 pm

it has got a motor but struggles with 18 stone on top of it

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:01 am

mrsenario wrote:it has got a motor but struggles with 18 stone on top of it
You been on a diet?
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
the dumbwitness
Veteran Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 10:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by the dumbwitness » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Hopefully the technical issue that closed the club shop at half time wasnt the work of Whitby Lid or whatever he's called.

derekb
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by derekb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 pm

I thought the ground looked great today. Well done everyone concerned.

User avatar
Uncle Peter
Platinum Member
Posts: 3371
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Uncle Peter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:56 pm

the dumbwitness wrote:Hopefully the technical issue that closed the club shop at half time wasnt the work of Whitby Lid or whatever he's called.
No it wasn't. I believe the issue was due to a leak caused by the horrendous conditions so the shop was closed for everyones safety. The issue will hopefully be remidied by the next home game.
"As long as they don't start causing any bother they are welcome to continue reinforcing my belief the Midlands is only good for nuking."

Mr R Ingham, 02/10/2013

whitty1969
Platinum Member
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by whitty1969 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Possibly Daz, Already fixed it once, But I can't stop the rain leaking into the lights.
Who can put us a new roof on the Cross Bar? Anytakers?

User avatar
the dumbwitness
Veteran Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 10:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by the dumbwitness » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Only joking Whitby lid, the ground looked brilliant, a huge pat in the back to you all,

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Barrowabc and those who helped, many thanks for providing us with a path and saved us from having to take the detour in the pouring rain.
First game and it proved it's worth.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests