Macclesfield match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
sempre contigo
Platinum Member
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 10:46 am
Location: North Manchester
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by sempre contigo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm

What is that even suppose to mean?
Trudging slowly over wet sand

User avatar
Steeley
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5750
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by Steeley » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 pm

mightywhite wrote:
Steeley wrote: Come on there's been at least a couple of times at 'big' games where there has been incidents. Albeit isolated.
i meant racist incidents, it seemed like it was an being claimed we were known for it.
I dont think were known for it, but there has been incidents in the recent years, yes racist ones. Mostly isolated and dealt with by reasonable people around the incident.
Bish=God

User avatar
burnzio
Platinum Member
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Walney
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by burnzio » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:44 pm

There's been plenty of racism at Holker St in recent years. Anyone who thinks otherwise is burying their head in the sand. It's always from an absolute minority of jebends mind but lets be clear, racist abuse/chanting has occured at Holker St at least once a season in recent memory. I would not be surprised if the monkey chant did occur.

The bit I'm annoyed at Macc about is the manner in which Steve King has embelished the story and the sensationalism of the media. Even if the chant didn't happen Barrow's reputation will be damaged again.

That statement is just bizarre mind. Shows how out of touch we are.

I'm not racist by the way, I've got a black mate.

User avatar
Reg
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5669
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Living Room
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by Reg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 pm

burnzio wrote:
I'm not racist by the way, I've got a black mate.
I met a Chinese friend in London and I loved John Barnes when I was young.

You don't get more multicultural that that!
The views expressed on this site are my own and do reflect the views of my employer

User avatar
The Tomahawk Kid
Platinum Member
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Dingly Dell
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by The Tomahawk Kid » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:58 pm

burnzio wrote:
I'm not racist by the way, I've got a black mate.
Ouch!
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid

K_BFC
Gold Member
Posts: 2071
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: At home in Barrow
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by K_BFC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Macc12 wrote: ... Worst case scenario one person, perhaps a couple of people, have been accused of an extremely offensive remark. The media have blown it out of proportion. Most right minded people will realise that if the allegation is true, it does not represent the attitude of the overwhelming majority of barrow fans. ...
... Equally, in the same vein surely you must accept that if an allegation has been made there is a fair chance that the individual concerned at least believes that he heard what he is alleging ...
I believe they are telling the truth but it is possible they have misheard and they have to think themselves, did they really hear that amongst all the other shouts? As an abnormal amount of abuse was being hurled at them over their on pitch antics, I know the game was no in play at the time but when your team came out they got a barrage from the ground. I misheard the person next to me many times that night due to the noise levels at times. I doubt a retraction is going to happen though.

Nice to know we are not all tarred with the same brush thanks, but mud sticks regardless of why it was slung and a lot of people and many on your forum clearly don't care about the truth. I hope it is just emotions running high and it will dissipate, but people seem to be plucking racism out of thin air. Radio and highlights, any truth in that? Doubt it, people just jumping on the band wagon and trying to sound informed when they were not even there.
Maccfan wrote:... At least entertain the possibility that this board doesn't contain every Barrow fan ...
I think people on this board are aware that they are a minority. A failed take over a few seasons ago fell apart at the AGM, after being so positively supported by many on this forum. If you read the forum you would have thought it was going to happen but in the real world it lacked support. A lot on here have close contact with people at the club and some have been part of it and still are, so it usually bubbles to the surface if something is buzzing around. However if there is anything to know, those that do will likely be in contact with the club and police and not this board for legal reasons. We will find out in due course as the club have issued a statement about the incident and are asking for fans help in the matter.

Nice to finally hear some comments from Macc fans on this, your welcome and thanks.

As for comments on previous incidents... A number of seasons ago Nathon Pond (then of Fleetwood before they were a BSP or league team) was abused in a similar fashion. He felt so strongly about it after the final whistle, he broke the rules after being shown a red card and re-entered the field of play after the final whistle. He marched up the other end of the pitch and argued and gestured at someone stood at the back of the terrace. There were only a handful of people on that terrace at the time, but it was talked about on this forum and if I recall correctly some did hear what was said and it was condemned by all. There were also doubters who heard nothing and questioned if it really happened as they heard nothing although most of us saw what Pond did after the game. I don't recall what resulted from that incident, but all such incidents are investigated by the club. Just the same as the Police investigate crimes, sometimes it can not be proven. If it is then as they say lets "kick it out(them)!", they have no place at Barrow AFC. I think Barrow has a good record in being active over these things.

As for comments on the Macc forum along the lines of "we have history", sorry but it's not the club but those individuals that had history. We were just unlucky to have them stood on our terrace. I doubt there is any club that has been in existence most of the last century that has not experienced this kind of "history". Older clubs will have had it on their terrace at one time or another, including Macclesfield. Throughout football it was sadly rife a few decades ago.

patrickstarfish
Silver Member
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:50 pm
Location: Republic of Mancunia

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by patrickstarfish » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:44 pm

burnzio wrote:There's been plenty of racism at Holker St in recent years. Anyone who thinks otherwise is burying their head in the sand. It's always from an absolute minority of jebends mind but lets be clear, racist abuse/chanting has occured at Holker St at least once a season in recent memory. I would not be surprised if the monkey chant did occur.

The bit I'm annoyed at Macc about is the manner in which Steve King has embelished the story and the sensationalism of the media. Even if the chant didn't happen Barrow's reputation will be damaged again.

That statement is just bizarre mind. Shows how out of touch we are.

I'm not racist by the way, I've got a black mate.
This basically.
What would Jesus do?

barrowaberdeen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9034
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: Independent Newbarns

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by barrowaberdeen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Burns, I agree we've got (mostly big game) bellends that have shouted this. In fact, I can think of times in the last 10 years (but not every season, no way) when I've had words with people about this as you know. I challenge anyone who knows me to say that isn't the case.

Where anyone gets the idea of racist chanting in this game is beyond me. [SwearFilter] me, we all stand together and start the songs!

If this had happened, there would be loads on here furious, and rightly so. I would be. Also, being Barrow where it's a small club, we all know folk who stand in that area. The first person I met the day after, just an ordinary lad, kids and grandkids etc, in the yard, who was right there and furious at what Nat Brown had alleged because nobody in the area heard anything at all. Every single person in that area from the Barrow support that's come on, that I've spoken to has backed that up, frankly.

Can't believe some people (many who weren't even there) have taken Brown's and the Macclesfield manager's over ordinary, regular members of our own support.

While this has happened, we've been subjected to a witchunt, mostly fuelled by their manager, with no proof. And don't get me started on their forum..

Then, if that wasn't bad enough, we get the most patronising, ridiculous statement from the club, which somehow manages the trick of suggesting that something (racist chanting) that simply didn't happen could have, then shows no awareness at all. 'Regardless of ability' indeed! Does nobody proof read these things?

phil
Silver Member
Posts: 1173
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Sunny Barrow
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by phil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:07 am

This makes me wonder, I never heard a thing but part way through it does sound like a monkey chant to be fair, although a mix of boos timed at different starting points could also sound like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOCIIcNX ... tu.besound
Education should be public not private, it should be open, accountable and answerable to all the community, pupils and parents.

http://wheeliekleenpowerwashing.webs.com/

1AFC
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:34 am
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by 1AFC » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:55 am

To me it sounds like several short boo's before a long one?!?

Like a boo, boo, boo,boo, boooooo.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by spirit of 1990 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 am

phil wrote:This makes me wonder, I never heard a thing but part way through it does sound like a monkey chant to be fair, although a mix of boos timed at different starting points could also sound like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOCIIcNX ... tu.besound
I never heard anything like monkey chant's but the piece your on about there Phil could quite easily be chant's of "cheat, cheat, cheat"
whatever them chant's are they are quite loud so I would of thought if they were racist in anyway whatsoever, we would have had someone on here stating they absolutely 100% heard it.

The longer this goes on the more I think it's something that has been totally misheard by just two people out of 1500 +
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

1AFC
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:34 am
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by 1AFC » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Them two wanted to hear racist chants.

Apparently on the Macc forum, we are 100% racist and were chanting throughout the game because none of our black players would have taken offence, because we have no black players....

Massively blown out of proportion. :sentoff:

Matty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5369
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by Matty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:25 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
phil wrote:This makes me wonder, I never heard a thing but part way through it does sound like a monkey chant to be fair, although a mix of boos timed at different starting points could also sound like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOCIIcNX ... tu.besound
I never heard anything like monkey chant's but the piece your on about there Phil could quite easily be chant's of "cheat, cheat, cheat"
whatever them chant's are they are quite loud so I would of thought if they were racist in anyway whatsoever, we would have had someone on here stating they absolutely 100% heard it.

The longer this goes on the more I think it's something that has been totally misheard by just two people out of 1500 +

Agreed, there has been no evidence at the moment regardless if it happened or not, so surely the investigating party can't come out a conclusion with the only claims being one person's word against another.
Popular side since '03.

phil
Silver Member
Posts: 1173
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Sunny Barrow
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by phil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:21 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
phil wrote:This makes me wonder, I never heard a thing but part way through it does sound like a monkey chant to be fair, although a mix of boos timed at different starting points could also sound like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOCIIcNX ... tu.besound
I never heard anything like monkey chant's but the piece your on about there Phil could quite easily be chant's of "cheat, cheat, cheat"
whatever them chant's are they are quite loud so I would of thought if they were racist in anyway whatsoever, we would have had someone on here stating they absolutely 100% heard it.

The longer this goes on the more I think it's something that has been totally misheard by just two people out of 1500 +

I agree Ian, I just nicked the video from their forum and had a listen, I had moved onto the pop side when that incident happened and others and I heard a crescendo of boo's and shouts of cheat etc. Having listened to that I can see how it may have been mis-heard, sometimes peeps hear what they want to hear and the more something is analysed the more you can read/hear into it.

Like I said when I posted it, the noise could be anything, still it does sound a lot like a monkey chant imo, although like we have all said it could be anything in the noise, tbh knowing how good some techie's are out there, I bet its easy to overlay a chant like that onto video mind.
Education should be public not private, it should be open, accountable and answerable to all the community, pupils and parents.

http://wheeliekleenpowerwashing.webs.com/

User avatar
The Tomahawk Kid
Platinum Member
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Dingly Dell
Contact:

Re: Macclesfield match thread

Post by The Tomahawk Kid » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Just had a listen.

At first I thought I could hear someone shout: "You're A Slag!" :o
Does this person have knowledge of Nat Brown's Sexual Activities?
Could HE be a disgruntled ex? :o

I could hear Monkey Chants, mind. It could be argued that the spectator might have been shouting: "Bo Bo Bo"...
Mmmmm... :?
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: John_Bucks and 33 guests