Page 3 of 3

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 pm
by saltcellar
Pedro wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 pm
Big E wrote: ↑Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 pm

That farman needs to up his game as well, he's got a shocking goal record
A midfielder with such a poor scoring record at 35 hardly going to start doing the business now.
Who is going to get the goals saw enough possession last year with no one actually able to put it in the net.
Let's just sign anyone .
He did score 3 goals in 4 Cup games so does know where the net is.

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:06 pm
by andyg
We all know we need a striker. Getting a good one is another thing. I'm sure the management team are acutely aware of the need for one. Why do you think they are the most important and expensive commodity of any team a man who can knock in around 20+ goals a season. I can imagine it's a highly competitive market to get one (or two) in. Why people go on and on about it on here is just plain stupid.

We know what we need and obviously the management know that as well. One things for certain if we get a good one his wages will be pretty high.

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:28 pm
by Pedro
andyg wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:06 pm We all know we need a striker. Getting a good one is another thing. I'm sure the management team are acutely aware of the need for one. Why do you think they are the most important and expensive commodity of any team a man who can knock in around 20+ goals a season. I can imagine it's a highly competitive market to get one (or two) in. Why people go on and on about it on here is just plain stupid.

We know what we need and obviously the management know that as well. One things for certain if we get a good one his wages will be pretty high.
I am hoping the players we brought it will be good enough and I am sure they will have cut the wage bill.with Zanzala and Banks going

We wasted so much money on bad Managers I am hoping we have enough to bring in a proven goal scorer.

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 pm
by saltcellar
It's nice to have a 20 goal a season player but not a necessity.
Cheltenham Town won League 2 in the 2020-21 season.
Their top scorerer in the league only scored 9 goals.

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:54 pm
by Suffolk Blue
saltcellar wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 pm It's nice to have a 20 goal a season player but not a necessity.
Cheltenham Town won League 2 in the 2020-21 season.
Their top scorerer in the league only scored 9 goals.
They had a defence as tight as a ducks bottom against everyone - except us ironically. Did ‘em home and away. Both times under Rob Kelly.

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:11 pm
by saltcellar
Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:54 pm
saltcellar wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 pm It's nice to have a 20 goal a season player but not a necessity.
Cheltenham Town won League 2 in the 2020-21 season.
Their top scorerer in the league only scored 9 goals.
They had a defence as tight as a ducks bottom against everyone - except us ironically. Did ‘em home and away. Both times under Rob Kelly.
Quite right.
Barrow scored 5 of the 39 goals they conceded while they failed to find the net.

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:16 pm
by andyg
Pedro wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:28 pm
andyg wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:06 pm We all know we need a striker. Getting a good one is another thing. I'm sure the management team are acutely aware of the need for one. Why do you think they are the most important and expensive commodity of any team a man who can knock in around 20+ goals a season. I can imagine it's a highly competitive market to get one (or two) in. Why people go on and on about it on here is just plain stupid.

We know what we need and obviously the management know that as well. One things for certain if we get a good one his wages will be pretty high.
I am hoping the players we brought it will be good enough and I am sure they will have cut the wage bill.with Zanzala and Banks going

We wasted so much money on bad Managers I am hoping we have enough to bring in a proven goal scorer.
That's my thinking too.

As for Cheltenham winning the league with the top goalscorer getting nine I bet a lot of the other members of their team scored 8 or 7 or 6 goals apiece - not sure we have that in our ranks hence the need for a good "leader of the pack" or a great "fox in the box"

Barrow traditionally seemed to do well with iconic style (I use the term loosely) goalscorer. In the league duting the sixties when I began supporting Barrow it was Mulholland closely followed by my personal favourite Tony Field with special mention to forwards like Mulvaney, McGarry etc. Moving to non league obviously Cowps but also remember we had Wittaker, Peverill (I'm sure there are others I forgot here & will probably by reminded of fairly quickly) and then the man who straggled both non league and league for us Quigs.

We do seem to be that sort of club who likes their main forward to be the leader and a seriously good goalscorer. Obviously that will be the same for so many other clubs. It is certainly an important part of our psyche and its no surprise that when we had those type of forwards in the team we had decent seasons.

Re: Sam Foley

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 pm
by chipmunx
andyg wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:16 pm
Pedro wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:28 pm

I am hoping the players we brought it will be good enough and I am sure they will have cut the wage bill.with Zanzala and Banks going

We wasted so much money on bad Managers I am hoping we have enough to bring in a proven goal scorer.
That's my thinking too.

As for Cheltenham winning the league with the top goalscorer getting nine I bet a lot of the other members of their team scored 8 or 7 or 6 goals apiece - not sure we have that in our ranks hence the need for a good "leader of the pack" or a great "fox in the box"

Barrow traditionally seemed to do well with iconic style (I use the term loosely) goalscorer. In the league duting the sixties when I began supporting Barrow it was Mulholland closely followed by my personal favourite Tony Field with special mention to forwards like Mulvaney, McGarry etc. Moving to non league obviously Cowps but also remember we had Wittaker, Peverill (I'm sure there are others I forgot here & will probably by reminded of fairly quickly) and then the man who straggled both non league and league for us Quigs.

We do seem to be that sort of club who likes their main forward to be the leader and a seriously good goalscorer. Obviously that will be the same for so many other clubs. It is certainly an important part of our psyche and its no surprise that when we had those type of forwards in the team we had decent seasons.
Alternatively when Vic Halom's team played they had Frank Gamble and Barry Diamond who must have been one of the smallest front pairings we've had - but scored a hatfull of goals.