That`s correct a Guy who stands near me works for the council and he said there`s no chance of it ever being sold which is a shame because it would be ideal !MisterPleasant wrote: ↑Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:50 am"To tender", so not for sale. Why would the club want to be a tenant of the council?bamber678 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:26 am
wouldn't that be a better location for a stadium? On my walks the other night down the canal in ulverston and thought how good Glaxo could be as a training complex, it already has a building with decent facilities and its got a fair few pitches on it. Could get it for a steal when Glaxo start selling off their assets.
Non League
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7135
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: Non League
- Sea Dog Sam
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 790
- Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: Non League
I started following Barow AFC from the age of 8 - first game 1968 Leicester City - Colin Appleton's team included both Storf and McCarthy in the early 70s. Quite sure the team that finished 8th from top of the old Div 3 (our best EVER side) was in the early 70s. Wasn't it?Wintergreen wrote: ↑Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 am Bowie and Bolan were stars of the 70s, Storf and McCarthy were stars of the 60s.
Both Bowie and Bolan were stars in the 60s too - Tyrannosaurus Rex - check out 'My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair... But Now They're Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows'
Shiver Me Timbers
Re: Non League
1967/68 when barrow finished in there highest position, so many years ago 
- Wintergreen
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7481
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
- Location: The Blue Planet
- Contact:
Re: Non League
Well you lived thru it bud as I did myself but the time line was something like this I think:Sea Dog Sam wrote: ↑Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:12 pmI started following Barow AFC from the age of 8 - first game 1968 Leicester City - Colin Appleton's team included both Storf and McCarthy in the early 70s. Quite sure the team that finished 8th from top of the old Div 3 (our best EVER side) was in the early 70s. Wasn't it?Wintergreen wrote: ↑Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 am Bowie and Bolan were stars of the 70s, Storf and McCarthy were stars of the 60s.
Both Bowie and Bolan were stars in the 60s too - Tyrannosaurus Rex - check out 'My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair... But Now They're Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows'and early Bowie - both artists came to the attention of the masses in the 70s, however.
May 67 - Barrow promoted to Div 3
May 70 - Barrow relegated to Div 4
Sept 71 - ‘Electric Warrior’ breakthrough album by T.Rex released
May 72 - Barrow voted out of the football league after continued decline
June 72 - ‘Ziggy Stardust’ breakthrough album by David Bowie released
So were Storf and McCarthy bigger stars locally than Bolan and Bowie in the early 70s? That’s one for the connossers or perhaps our resident BAFC historian PJ Proby.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...
Re: Non League
WG - - - We tried to contact PJ Proby but I'm afraid he was unavailable for comment. He's too busy sorting out his affairs (which seem to be many and varied, and add a new dimension to the meaning of disturbing). So, lesser spotted variety maybe, but this particular alternative PJ will have to suffice. Disappointing, I know . . .Wintergreen wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:35 am
May 67 - Barrow promoted to Div 3
May 70 - Barrow relegated to Div 4
Sept 71 - ‘Electric Warrior’ breakthrough album by T.Rex released
May 72 - Barrow voted out of the football league after continued decline
June 72 - ‘Ziggy Stardust’ breakthrough album by David Bowie released
So were Storf and McCarthy bigger stars locally than Bolan and Bowie in the early 70s? That’s one for the connossers or perhaps our resident BAFC historian PJ Proby.
I cannot speak for the general public but, for me, McCarthy and Storf are far more famous and socially significant than Bolan and Bowie. I know very little about these two singers but I assume they were the Frank Ifield's of their era? I think Bowie did something called Star Man and I believe he penned it after watching Dave Storf on a number of occasions in the 1967-68 season. Never a truer word . . .
On a general note, it's impossible to ignore the elation on this Forum following yesterday's performance and result. However, extraordinary though it was, we badly need to nail our heads to the task ahead on Monday. Being heroes just for one day will not help us avoid the drop.
Re: Non League
pjdaly wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:11 pmWG - - - We tried to contact PJ Proby but I'm afraid he was unavailable for comment. He's too busy sorting out his affairs (which seem to be many and varied, and add a new dimension to the meaning of disturbing). So, lesser spotted variety maybe, but this particular alternative PJ will have to suffice. Disappointing, I know . . .Wintergreen wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:35 am
May 67 - Barrow promoted to Div 3
May 70 - Barrow relegated to Div 4
Sept 71 - ‘Electric Warrior’ breakthrough album by T.Rex released
May 72 - Barrow voted out of the football league after continued decline
June 72 - ‘Ziggy Stardust’ breakthrough album by David Bowie released
So were Storf and McCarthy bigger stars locally than Bolan and Bowie in the early 70s? That’s one for the connossers or perhaps our resident BAFC historian PJ Proby.
I cannot speak for the general public but, for me, McCarthy and Storf are far more famous and socially significant than Bolan and Bowie. I know very little about these two singers but I assume they were the Frank Ifield's of their era? I think Bowie did something called Star Man and I believe he penned it after watching Dave Storf on a number of occasions in the 1967-68 season. Never a truer word . . .
On a general note, it's impossible to ignore the elation on this Forum following yesterday's performance and result. However, extraordinary though it was, we badly need to nail our heads to the task ahead on Monday. Being heroes just for one day will not help us avoid the drop.
- Sea Dog Sam
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 790
- Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: Non League
Thanks for including the time-line. Yep, you're correct. Wasn't the 70s it was the late sixties - 1967/68 season when I started supporting Barrow AFC and seeing Storf and McCarthy walking around town. Jimmy Mulvaney must have been living in the town too as he frequently visited my Junior School to collect his daughter.Wintergreen wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:35 amWell you lived thru it bud as I did myself but the time line was something like this I think:Sea Dog Sam wrote: ↑Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:12 pm
I started following Barow AFC from the age of 8 - first game 1968 Leicester City - Colin Appleton's team included both Storf and McCarthy in the early 70s. Quite sure the team that finished 8th from top of the old Div 3 (our best EVER side) was in the early 70s. Wasn't it?
Both Bowie and Bolan were stars in the 60s too - Tyrannosaurus Rex - check out 'My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair... But Now They're Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows'and early Bowie - both artists came to the attention of the masses in the 70s, however.
May 67 - Barrow promoted to Div 3
May 70 - Barrow relegated to Div 4
Sept 71 - ‘Electric Warrior’ breakthrough album by T.Rex released
May 72 - Barrow voted out of the football league after continued decline
June 72 - ‘Ziggy Stardust’ breakthrough album by David Bowie released
So were Storf and McCarthy bigger stars locally than Bolan and Bowie in the early 70s? That’s one for the connossers or perhaps our resident BAFC historian PJ Proby.
Shiver Me Timbers
- Sea Dog Sam
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 790
- Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: Non League
McMark wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:42 pmpjdaly wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:11 pm
WG - - - We tried to contact PJ Proby but I'm afraid he was unavailable for comment. He's too busy sorting out his affairs (which seem to be many and varied, and add a new dimension to the meaning of disturbing). So, lesser spotted variety maybe, but this particular alternative PJ will have to suffice. Disappointing, I know . . .
I cannot speak for the general public but, for me, McCarthy and Storf are far more famous and socially significant than Bolan and Bowie. I know very little about these two singers but I assume they were the Frank Ifield's of their era? I think Bowie did something called Star Man and I believe he penned it after watching Dave Storf on a number of occasions in the 1967-68 season. Never a truer word . . .
On a general note, it's impossible to ignore the elation on this Forum following yesterday's performance and result. However, extraordinary though it was, we badly need to nail our heads to the task ahead on Monday. Being heroes just for one day will not help us avoid the drop.
To compare Bowie and Bolan to Frank Ifield is amusing. He was a singer - they were both singers, musicians and song writers. Bowie was also a mime artist. Both were movie stars. Mark Bolan was also a teen idol. Received the kind of accolades and attention that the poxy little boy bands of the 90s could only dream about.
Shiver Me Timbers
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests