Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
-
walneyroad
- Senior Member
- Posts: 425
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:01 pm
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Yep - spot on, and he got the players fit, which previous managers had failed to do!
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
...or score another goal in April/May.
THE NORTHERN WAY
-
walneyroad
- Senior Member
- Posts: 425
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:01 pm
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Or you could say that once he'd got the players fit, which they weren't when he arrived, and sussed out what was going wrong, he got 7 points out of three games which kept us in the league.
Get him signed up!
Get him signed up!
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
If we can afford PB and NM go ahead.
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Jonty wrote: ↑Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:54 pm I cant look beyond Brown. He has got us safe and has bags of experience and managed an un-fancied team in the top flight. Now he is managing an un-fancied team in L2 and something in that galvanises all involved. Yes not everyone’s cup of tea but right now we need a path for L2 stability to allow the off-field club to catch up. He will not be phased by any competition we will face (remembering “big step up Dunn”- who was beaten before we started) and the immediately off putting “they used to spit at me here” first interview with Cooper. (He May as well have worn a sticker on his head saying “I don’t want to be here”.
Brown will give the players a self belief that they can compete at the the top end. We need that character. We’ve got it badly wrong with the last three for different reasons (not counting Kelly in that). He has three games left and all eyes will be on the intensity we play at now we know we are safe. He wont let up now but it will tell us the character of the team he has inherited and who is still showing the desire. Hopefully all of them.
Brown / MacDonald all the way for me- (I wasn’t keen at first) and then we can enter the close season in the knowledge that he has got to know the players and how the club operates. A head start on next season.
"I cant look beyond Brown. He has got us safe and has bags of experience and managed an un-fancied team in the top flight. Now he is managing an un-fancied team in L2 and something in that galvanises all involved. Yes not everyone’s cup of tea but right now we need a path for L2 stability to allow the off-field club to catch up. He will not be phased by any competition we will face (remembering “big step up Dunn”- who was beaten before we started) and the immediately off putting “they used to spit at me here” first interview with Cooper. (He May as well have worn a sticker on his head saying “I don’t want to be here”."
Jonty...spot on. Nailed it.
-
walneyroad
- Senior Member
- Posts: 425
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:01 pm
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Think that attitude from Cooper has a lot to do with why the players weren't fit when Brown arrived. He couldn't give a toss as long as he picked up his wages.
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Think its disrespectful calling it a honeymoon period, if he came in and we won the first 3 games convincingly then you could have put it down to a "new manager bounce" but the fact that he had to work hard with the squad to completely change their mindsets and confidence on the pitch is all down to determination from everyone to improve.
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8342
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
He did a great (almost great escape) job with Southend last year for a few games then really struggled this season, they were heading for successive relegations under him. He hasn’t done anything over a full season in England for what, 4 or 5 years?walneyroad wrote: ↑Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:31 pmWhy?HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:28 pm
FWIW I would still say thanks very much and goodbye at the end of the season
I can see why people want him to stay of course I can; especially when he mentions about moving training to Barrow, doing more in the community etc etc but my worry is we get to winter and we are in the same position yet again as this season and last where we are debating whether to keep this manager or get a new one.
As I’ve said plenty of times I’d be almost sure he’ll be offered the job, hopefully the training facilities will be ready for the first day of pre season onwards and his recruitment will be better than previous managers
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
I’ve no idea as I’m not privy to all the facts, But if I was in the camp making the decisions I’d scour the lower leagues & none leagues & ask lots of footy insiders all the info available, Prepare the very best we can, Even then no guarantees it will work out, But at least you did everything in your power.
Don’t get me wrong on Browny, If he is doing everything right behind the scenes & his plans going forward are realistic sensible & achievable & the club are confident it might work then give him the gig, Again Imho I’d only offer a 1 year deal but heavy on bonuses & success clauses & everything is on track another season as Gaffer automatically kicks in.
One of my worries is the travelling as PB lives down south doesn’t he? & the travelling is a killer, Unless he still has a home in the NW, If he doesn’t it would be an issue further down the line.
-
walneyroad
- Senior Member
- Posts: 425
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:01 pm
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
It's being so cheerful that keeps you going!HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:28 am my worry is we get to winter and we are in the same position yet again as this season and last where we are debating whether to keep this manager or get a new one.
- Stephen Leonard
- BarrowAFC.net Moderator
- Posts: 1393
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:52 pm
- Location: Barrow-in-Furness
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Re the first part - I would imagine this was already done before deciding to get rid of Cooper and appoint Brown (I appreciate that the timing meant that some people who they might have wanted as manager were not available but I would assume if they had other targets who might be available in the summer this would have already been discussed)mickmike wilson wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pmI’ve no idea as I’m not privy to all the facts, But if I was in the camp making the decisions I’d scour the lower leagues & none leagues & ask lots of footy insiders all the info available, Prepare the very best we can, Even then no guarantees it will work out, But at least you did everything in your power.
Don’t get me wrong on Browny, If he is doing everything right behind the scenes & his plans going forward are realistic sensible & achievable & the club are confident it might work then give him the gig, Again Imho I’d only offer a 1 year deal but heavy on bonuses & success clauses & everything is on track another season as Gaffer automatically kicks in.
One of my worries is the travelling as PB lives down south doesn’t he? & the travelling is a killer, Unless he still has a home in the NW, If he doesn’t it would be an issue further down the line.
As for the 2nd part - football people see travelling as just part of the job unlike many of us who would not dream of doing such mileage and travel times. I remember when I was involved and Shane Westley moved to Southend and still wanted to manage us and he said there was no issue at all (mine was the cost that he wanted reimbursing) - footballers are a bit like traveling salesmen in that going up and down motorways is just part of their make up and someone with Browns experience will be used to that and not see it as an issue.
Some people really do need to think a bit more before they post things on here
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Question is how long had this gone on for & why was it allowed to continue for as long as it did? Again this IMHO comes from us having a kind of inferiority complex or little old Barrow NL mainstays, We have to grow up as a L2 club, here on merit, get out of the kitchen & mingle BAFCwalneyroad wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:14 am Think that attitude from Cooper has a lot to do with why the players weren't fit when Brown arrived. He couldn't give a toss as long as he picked up his wages.
The BoD are still learning as we go along so going above and beyond is important & im sure the difference lessons have been learned from our 2 yrs here.
-
OnlineMain Stand SeasonTct
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3255
- Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
IMO alot has to do with Cooper not wanting the job in the first place. He never applied. To quote Cooper when he got the job. "Barrow was never on my radar" The board persuaded him to take it.Hopefully lessons have been learned.mickmike wilson wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:55 pmQuestion is how long had this gone on for & why was it allowed to continue for as long as it did? Again this IMHO comes from us having a kind of inferiority complex or little old Barrow NL mainstays, We have to grow up as a L2 club, here on merit, get out of the kitchen & mingle BAFCwalneyroad wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:14 am Think that attitude from Cooper has a lot to do with why the players weren't fit when Brown arrived. He couldn't give a toss as long as he picked up his wages.
The BoD are still learning as we go along so going above and beyond is important & im sure the difference lessons have been learned from our 2 yrs here.
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
I get that Steve & of course it’s correct generally but like anyone who is travelling for work ( I used to do it myself ) But usually as soon as any gig becomes available with far less travelling involved becomes very desirable & as we all are saying we need Continually if possible, Just saying.Stephen Leonard wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:50 pmRe the first part - I would imagine this was already done before deciding to get rid of Cooper and appoint Brown (I appreciate that the timing meant that some people who they might have wanted as manager were not available but I would assume if they had other targets who might be available in the summer this would have already been discussed)mickmike wilson wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pm
I’ve no idea as I’m not privy to all the facts, But if I was in the camp making the decisions I’d scour the lower leagues & none leagues & ask lots of footy insiders all the info available, Prepare the very best we can, Even then no guarantees it will work out, But at least you did everything in your power.
Don’t get me wrong on Browny, If he is doing everything right behind the scenes & his plans going forward are realistic sensible & achievable & the club are confident it might work then give him the gig, Again Imho I’d only offer a 1 year deal but heavy on bonuses & success clauses & everything is on track another season as Gaffer automatically kicks in.
One of my worries is the travelling as PB lives down south doesn’t he? & the travelling is a killer, Unless he still has a home in the NW, If he doesn’t it would be an issue further down the line.
As for the 2nd part - football people see travelling as just part of the job unlike many of us who would not dream of doing such mileage and travel times. I remember when I was involved and Shane Westley moved to Southend and still wanted to manage us and he said there was no issue at all (mine was the cost that he wanted reimbursing) - footballers are a bit like traveling salesmen in that going up and down motorways is just part of their make up and someone with Browns experience will be used to that and not see it as an issue.
Guess as a fan I’m over concerned that we have to do everything possible & cover all bases with this next appointment?
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: Brownies HONEYMOON PERIOD
Fair enoughbamber678 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:28 am Think its disrespectful calling it a honeymoon period, if he came in and we won the first 3 games convincingly then you could have put it down to a "new manager bounce" but the fact that he had to work hard with the squad to completely change their mindsets and confidence on the pitch is all down to determination from everyone to improve.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: blue nige, Matt, Sash591 and 55 guests