I agree, i still think we needed to bring in a no-nonsense front man who can hit the ground running, knows what is needed at this level. Thats what the fans were discussing leading up to this window. We still short of that option.HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:02 pm This forum doesn’t half go on some ridiculous tangents at times; if we were at Holker Old Boys level of course we would attack more FFS
Doesn’t sound like there’s any more incomings due but if it was me I’d still be pushing hard to bring a more physical striker in; we need someone to win some headers up front and provide a proper physical presence when crosses come in
Barrow v Mansfield match thread
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
-
SayitagainSam
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 914
- Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
Even if you're right about the standard of Rugby - which you're not - at least the Raiders win their Home Games.cottingham bluebird wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:35 pmGo to craven then and watch them I watched them against Workington and to be honest seen better rugby at rating laneSayitagainSam wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:49 pm With a 2 - 1 lead and with 10 men, Mansfield decided to sit back, give us all the possession and see what Barrow had to offer. Nothing, as it turned out! We were devoid of ideas in the final third.
Back passing and side passing will get you nowhere. Zero penetration upfront.
Was looking forward to seeing what the 2 new young forwards could do, but they got no service.
Disappointing performance and to be frank, I get more enjoyment watching the Rugby at Craven Park.
I always come home happy, as they haven't lost a home game in 2 years - wish I could say the same for the Soccer.
PS: I was 1 minute late in getting into the ground and the fat lady was already singing the 1st verse...
They actually won League 2 last year and got promoted. Bluebirds can only dream of that..
Supporting a winning team and enjoying the game is money well spent.
Given the past 2 years of hell, it bring some happiness to me.
I will be at Craven Park tomorrow, just like I was a Holker St today, to support my home town teams.
-
MikeRenney
- Senior Member
- Posts: 260
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:02 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
I felt very much as though today we were playing a more skilful Paul Cox type team, hard and from the land of giants.
I was reminded of a Gordon Strachan quote I heard years ago.
“Sometimes you have to fight to be allowed to play football”.
Now we did play some football but large amounts of it was in areas that Mansfield were happy to concede to us. I sincerely hope we stay up, I suppose the only good thing about today is there are not that many teams like Mansfield in our division, however, we have to be more resilient in our remaining fixtures.
I was reminded of a Gordon Strachan quote I heard years ago.
“Sometimes you have to fight to be allowed to play football”.
Now we did play some football but large amounts of it was in areas that Mansfield were happy to concede to us. I sincerely hope we stay up, I suppose the only good thing about today is there are not that many teams like Mansfield in our division, however, we have to be more resilient in our remaining fixtures.
-
boyliegladbach
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8720
- Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
- Location: Tel aviv
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
Sick of listening to cooper now, his players and his job to sort them out, and at the moment he's failing miserably at the job.
Blames everything but himself.
Blames everything but himself.
- AyrToBarra
- Member
- Posts: 142
- Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:27 am
- Location: Troon
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
- Adam29
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7295
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm
- Location: Barrow-in-Furness
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
Going for a pint? You won’t be watching rugby because it got called off at 3pmSayitagainSam wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:32 pmEven if you're right about the standard of Rugby - which you're not - at least the Raiders win their Home Games.cottingham bluebird wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:35 pm
Go to craven then and watch them I watched them against Workington and to be honest seen better rugby at rating lane
They actually won League 2 last year and got promoted. Bluebirds can only dream of that..
Supporting a winning team and enjoying the game is money well spent.
Given the past 2 years of hell, it bring some happiness to me.
I will be at Craven Park tomorrow, just like I was a Holker St today, to support my home town teams.
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
It's not his job to clear corners or free-kick though, is it? Defenders very much to blame today.boyliegladbach wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:54 pm Sick of listening to cooper now, his players and his job to sort them out, and at the moment he's failing miserably at the job.
Blames everything but himself.
-
mickycarrol
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
Very poor display not a single player was a 6 or above…..and that is why they are all at this level zero consistency ffs
"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they dont know the game"
Bill Shankly
Bill Shankly
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2022 ... --manager/
Too many had off days yesterday, hard to criticise the commitment too much after recent performances. We were bullied, second to everything baring a 15 minute spell in the first half. We are at our best when we press like they did for most of the game. I am sure we will see a positive response on Tuesday night.
Too many had off days yesterday, hard to criticise the commitment too much after recent performances. We were bullied, second to everything baring a 15 minute spell in the first half. We are at our best when we press like they did for most of the game. I am sure we will see a positive response on Tuesday night.
-
walneyroad
- Senior Member
- Posts: 425
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:01 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
The knee jerk reactions on here are hilarious.
Comparing us to Holker and the Rugby!!
We would batter Holker every week (and do every season in the first warm up game).
Everything is relative to the quality of opposition that we play. Would love to have seen how Holker would have got on against Mansfield yesterday!
And the Rugby played some right dross last year. Let’s see how they get on now they are in a man’s league as well.
Makes me laugh - if we had won yesterday it would have been ‘let’s get excited about chasing a play-off place’.
Just calm down.
Comparing us to Holker and the Rugby!!
We would batter Holker every week (and do every season in the first warm up game).
Everything is relative to the quality of opposition that we play. Would love to have seen how Holker would have got on against Mansfield yesterday!
And the Rugby played some right dross last year. Let’s see how they get on now they are in a man’s league as well.
Makes me laugh - if we had won yesterday it would have been ‘let’s get excited about chasing a play-off place’.
Just calm down.
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
I wish I could feel as confident, Mark. I don't blame Cooper at all. He has a way of playing, which is football on the deck, patient build up, keep the ball. However, it does depend on the ability and confidence of the players. On days when it works, they move the ball quickly and cause the opposition problems. On other days, nerves set in and they make simple, close, passes at the back without trying to make a telling pass forward. That just winds up the crowd and makes it easy for the opposition.
The players let him down yesterday. When we equalised, we had a good spell for 10-15 minutes, when I thought it was going to be an exciting game and we would get a result. Then another disaster at the back and the sense of deflation was palpable, even though I was only listening to commentary.
It is really frustrating to me - and it must be to Cooper - that we can't string two decent performances together. It's a very inconsistent group of players. I think we have been defending reasonably well on the whole. Ignoring the Barnsley match, which was a bit of a freak, we have conceded 4 goals in 7 games since the beginning of December. The manner and timing of conceding yesterday was a disaster, but the collective failure of the back three to do their job was out of character. I said last night I expected Platt and Jones to be dropped, but on reflection perhaps that would be a mistake. Perhaps better to see if they can redeem themselves.
Final assessment of yesterday - neither team could score from open play, so really it was a 0-0 draw. We just lost by three mistakes to one.
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
"The knee jerk reactions on here are hilarious.April1972 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 am The knee jerk reactions on here are hilarious.
Comparing us to Holker and the Rugby!!
We would batter Holker every week (and do every season in the first warm up game).
Everything is relative to the quality of opposition that we play. Would love to have seen how Holker would have got on against Mansfield yesterday!
And the Rugby played some right dross last year. Let’s see how they get on now they are in a man’s league as well.
Makes me laugh - if we had won yesterday it would have been ‘let’s get excited about chasing a play-off place’.
Just calm down.
Comparing us to Holker and the Rugby!!".
And, that is just what 'you', have done sweetie!.
Re: Barrow v Mansfield match thread
Difference is I wouldn’t have brought it up on the first place!mall wrote: ↑Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:54 am"The knee jerk reactions on here are hilarious.April1972 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 am The knee jerk reactions on here are hilarious.
Comparing us to Holker and the Rugby!!
We would batter Holker every week (and do every season in the first warm up game).
Everything is relative to the quality of opposition that we play. Would love to have seen how Holker would have got on against Mansfield yesterday!
And the Rugby played some right dross last year. Let’s see how they get on now they are in a man’s league as well.
Makes me laugh - if we had won yesterday it would have been ‘let’s get excited about chasing a play-off place’.
Just calm down.
Comparing us to Holker and the Rugby!!".
And, that is just what 'you', have done sweetie!.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests