Page 1 of 1

Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm
by Finbar61
I have been playing and coaching in Finland for the last 25 years and have recently returned to to the area for a short while and attended the Colwyn Bay game and was impressed with Alex Meechan's input from the dugout. Having heard from friends all about the furore surrounding the current manager I thought his assistant went about his job in a professional manner providing encouragement when needed and the odd admonishment here and there. After the game I was encouraged by friends to view this forum something I am not usually comfortable with. There were the usual comments about we should be beating teams like this but I think you need to realise that the manager has brought in players who are not good enough and thanks to his assistant they are getting some sort of results. Colwyn Bay had a centre back Smyth and a right back Taylor who would walk into the Barrow side and if I am correct played with Meechan during his short stay at Colwyn Bay. There are other players whom Meechan has also played with and I believe when and not if the present incumbent leaves or is sacked these players will make their way to Barrow and then the club will begin to see improvement on the playing side. never like to see a manager sacked but sometimes it is a necessity and a number two comes into his own. Alex Meechan could be just what Barrow needs both on the managerial side and to build bridges. Good luck for the rest of the season :D :D :D

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:03 pm
by barrowfan
Good post Alex! ;)

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:44 pm
by 32mile_cul-de-sac
Finbar61 wrote:I have been playing and coaching in Finland for the last 25 years and have recently returned to to the area for a short while and attended the Colwyn Bay game and was impressed with Alex Meechan's input from the dugout. Having heard from friends all about the furore surrounding the current manager I thought his assistant went about his job in a professional manner providing encouragement when needed and the odd admonishment here and there. After the game I was encouraged by friends to view this forum something I am not usually comfortable with. There were the usual comments about we should be beating teams like this but I think you need to realise that the manager has brought in players who are not good enough and thanks to his assistant they are getting some sort of results. Colwyn Bay had a centre back Smyth and a right back Taylor who would walk into the Barrow side and if I am correct played with Meechan during his short stay at Colwyn Bay. There are other players whom Meechan has also played with and I believe when and not if the present incumbent leaves or is sacked these players will make their way to Barrow and then the club will begin to see improvement on the playing side. never like to see a manager sacked but sometimes it is a necessity and a number two comes into his own. Alex Meechan could be just what Barrow needs both on the managerial side and to build bridges. Good luck for the rest of the season :D :D :D
Can i ask how do you know if the player are not good enough, serious question, is your assumption on watching one game?

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:14 pm
by bobbie moore
IMHO the only Colwyn Bay player that stood out was Sinclair never notice the two mentioned at all

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:53 pm
by Finbar61
I should have stated that was my fourth game the others were a league game and two friendlies as for Mr Moore's comment as a coach and a manager I watch both sides not just Barrow :skill:

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:10 pm
by Esso Blue
Moi moi, Finbar61 :)

As the saying goes, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." Or at least don your tin hat for the abuse when you don't conform to the expected opinions of the mafia on here. The 'Put up or shut up post' provides a perfect example.

(Stands back and waits for the expected abuse.)

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:16 pm
by HenneysKnee
What relation are you to Meechs?

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:36 pm
by Scott
Colwyn Bay number 2 was a good player, Danny Taylor ex Shrewsbury rightback who was being watched by Bury. Bit lightweight but I haven't been over impressed with Burns so far, I think Bateson a better rightback who we had on trial but never signed up...

I think it would be best for everyone if Bayliss were to leave, and I wouldn't be against Meechan taking over temporarily as his replacement. And who knows if he did half as well as Bayliss and Sheridan did when they first took over then why not offer him something longer?

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm
by Reg
Proof, if any were needed that most footballers are stupid.

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 am
by Moribund
What you seem to be forgetting is that most of the players brought in already have been Meechan's connections - almost every single one in fact!

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 pm
by jpd1606
A Colwyn Bay perspective!!

Taylor may well go on to better things but he needs to fill out a little and tends to get caught out of position somewhat. No doubting he is going to be a decent level footballer but not one I would think that you need.

Smyth is good at the back and would be 1st on my teamsheet every week but he isn't a domineering player and only looks comfortable when alongside some experience.

The original poster has missed out on 2 people in our side that would better yours but will keep them close to my chest.

Re: Alex Meechan

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:38 pm
by Ste Story
jpd1606 wrote:The original poster has missed out on 2 people in our side that would better yours but will keep them close to my chest.
The manager and the board? 8-)