Page 1 of 2

A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 am
by Ralph
After discussions with John Mackay, I would like to invite Barrow supporters from around the world to consider sending a Get Well Soon card to Barrow AFC supporter (and pensioner), Graham Chapman, who was injured during Saturday's crowd disturbances at Atherstone.

John has asked that cards be sent via Barrow AFC (the postal address is Graham Chapman, c/o John Mackay, Barrow AFC, Wilkie Road, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 5UW, UK), and the cards will be forwarded to Graham.

I hope supporters will consider doing this and Graham will realise that the world-wide family of Barrow AFC supporters care about what happened to him, and are hoping it won’t deter him from watching our club again in the near future.

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:00 am
by urswick blue
Great idea. Barrow AFC supporters are family. Young and old male and female. :flag:

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 am
by spirit of 1990
I didn't realise it was Graham Chapman who was injured at Atherstone.

If it's the same Graham (I'm sure Elaine will confirm it is though) he has put in massive amounts of hours at the ground lately, many on his own, painting anything we've left him to do.
He doesn't post on here so not a lot will know just how much he's done over the last few months.

A card will be on it's way from all the GMA volunteers (with a couple of brushes :) )

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 am
by Shakespeare
I don't know if he is the same Graham Chapman who was active with the FYT in the 60's (if he is he'll know what I mean) then he is someone I haven't seen or heard of for donkeys years. Met someone else recently who I didn't know was a Bluebirds supporter because we watch from opposite ends of the stands.

Even if it isn't the same Graham obviously I wish him well. It just shouldn't happen whichever league you're in or whatever team you support.

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am
by Van Der Nipper
I don't think Graham will like all the attention after speaking to him yesterday he just wants to forget about it.

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:34 pm
by conquistador
How about, as a gesture by the Board, they give him a free season ticket for this year or next year

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 pm
by Van Der Nipper
conquistador wrote:How about, as a gesture by the Board, they give him a free season ticket for this year or next year
What about everyone else that was caught up in the incident??

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 pm
by conquistador
So do we send everyone cards just in case someone feels left out? Do we take into account PTS or just physical injuries.
For an elderly gentleman, the cards and a ticket are a nice gesture

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 pm
by barrowfan_chris
conquistador wrote:So do we send everyone cards just in case someone feels left out? Do we take into account PTS or just physical injuries.
For an elderly gentleman, the cards and a ticket are a nice gesture
:roll:

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:19 pm
by barrowaberdeen
It's a nice gesture, and doesn't have to involve anyone being thrust into the limelight, where I agree he wouldn't be comfotable (perhaps his name shouldn't have been used?- is it in the EM?). Let's not analyse the life out of it though chaps. ;)

If John is feeling generous mind, xxl, Blue Lacoste T Shirt please :D

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm
by ziggy
conquistador wrote:For an elderly gentleman, the cards and a ticket are a nice gesture
Would be even nicer if Atherstone offered to pay for them, or any other gestures to our supporters.

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:06 pm
by spirit of 1990
barrowaberdeen wrote: Let's not analyse the life out of it though chaps.
This.

Nothing is ever simple on here is it?

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:24 pm
by barrowfan_chris
If everyone is feeling generous I need a new flag as mine has some fire damage ;)

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:20 pm
by ruins
barrowfan_chris wrote:If everyone is feeling generous I need a new flag as mine has some fire damage ;)
Ive a fiver here with your name on it matey, either toward the flag or Tuborg? :D

Re: A Call to Arms (so to speak)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 pm
by spirit of 1990
ruins wrote:
barrowfan_chris wrote:If everyone is feeling generous I need a new flag as mine has some fire damage ;)
Ive a fiver here with your name on it matey, either toward the flag or Tuborg? :D
If there is a whip round for a new flag (someone else said on another topic they'd give you a tenner) I'll throw a fiver in as well.........NOT for a Tuborg though :)

Do they even still make it :?