Page 1 of 3
Bring back ballboys
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:06 pm
by Jo am back
In the bigger scheme of things this might sound trivial,but I really believe the lack of Ballboys at Holker St is a big disadvantage to us,the home team.
Opposing keepers are using this now to slow games down and also waste time.Not only that it also makes us look unprofessional.
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:12 pm
by Moonwatcher
Absolutely spot on.
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:17 pm
by boyliegladbach
I was saying that yesterday.
And get rid of that segregation
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:22 pm
by DaveC
Ballboys are great on a few levels.
They can speed up and slow down the re-introduction of the ball.
They will be the next generation of fans, who will of course bring their own kids in the future.
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:33 am
by barrowfan
Think you'd have to call them ball persons nowadays!

Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:47 am
by Steelworks End
Ball Retrieval Operatives? Football Continuity Assistants?

Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:24 am
by Chris Benoit
I made a post on this not so long back. Needs to happen asap.
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:48 am
by Ste Story
It's something the club and trust are looking at in the foreseeable future, watch this space :flag:
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:20 pm
by SlurpyTigga
Was this not deemed a health and safety issue, in case the ball boys get hit and hurt by the ball / players leaving the pitch?
I know they have to be located behind barriers (advertising boards) at a higher level.
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:27 pm
by Wintergreen
Yeah – really needs to happen this. Wouldn’t you love to have done that job as a kid?
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:32 pm
by Richard Ingham
SlurpyTigga wrote:Was this not deemed a health and safety issue, in case the ball boys get hit and hurt by the ball / players leaving the pitch?
I know they have to be located behind barriers (advertising boards) at a higher level.
I believe it was more a problem of not having anyone suitably qualified (CRB) to supervise them, although the H&S issue may be a factor to consider.
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm
by blue nige
Richard Ingham wrote:SlurpyTigga wrote:Was this not deemed a health and safety issue, in case the ball boys get hit and hurt by the ball / players leaving the pitch?
I know they have to be located behind barriers (advertising boards) at a higher level.
I believe it was more a problem of not having anyone suitably qualified (CRB) to supervise them, although the H&S issue may be a factor to consider.
just a thought will the people who run the academy/under 18`s be qualified?
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:39 pm
by anthony
Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:54 pm
by orpheus
Nice one Anthony. Think the issue of H&S was maybe a problem so let us now get on with it and leave the Club to sort.

Re: Bring back ballboys
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:10 pm
by pjdaly
I said the same thing on Saturday; it is a farcical situation that we are without ball boys/girls. As mentioned above, it might also inspire the boys and girls towards a life-long passion for the club and this could in turn lead to breeding and multiplying amongst their friends (a passion for the club that is).
Although it is better to have youngsters doing the job why, if there are supervision problems, can we not have Ball Men and Ball Women, or even Ball Grandpas and Ball Grandmas? Of course they would need to pass an MOT (Mobility Okay Test) by proving they can cover 20 yards in less than 60 seconds to retrieve the ball.
I began the above para very much TIC but actually - - - the more I think about it - - - seriously - - - - WHY NOT??? Why should adults not be allowed to do this? If supervision problems continue regarding youngsters, then seriously WHY SHOULDN’T ADULTS DO THIS?
(I would be tempted myself but might struggle to pass the MOT at my very advanced age. Interestingly, perhaps Wintergreen’s thwarted dream (see above) could yet be realised???)