Page 1 of 2
Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 pm
by olbarrafancumbak
I was reet proud to be in a position to sponsor the club, we seemed to be a bunch of winners and heading forward to the promised land!
I fear I am not the only sponsor questioning my sanity and I do worry for the season ahead.. will the current sponsors want to be involved? Will there be any new business or company wanting to sign up? The hospitality is ok but poorly attended, the buzz has slowly dwindled and apart from a bit if a craic and palatable grub..its list its way!
Like I say, was proud to be involved but will I want to do it again?
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm
by Lancaster Branch
Are you talking to yourself here?
Nurse! NURSE!!
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm
by Holkerbird
To be honest I have always questioned the "new sponsor people" commitment to the club. Where were these people when the chips were down and we were desperate for funds to keep our heads above water? In the past we relied on the loyal people who were there when we owed them money but they kept providing us with the necessary to function, albeit hand to mouth. Not publicity seeking people or money men, just wanting to help as best they could. I doubt many of those people or businesses are here now. I realise the club is a business but surely some loyalty could have been shown to them as we wouldn't have had a club without their help.
The fans who organised fund raising ventures---and very enterprising ones they were. It generated a camaraderie that has lost its way now. Some decent money accumulated over the seasons. The atmosphere created by the Ultras with the banners and flags. Who could forget the Darlington one, a moment to cherish in support of another club facing extinction. The humour of the Fleetwood one too.
The volunteer workshops where you felt you were making a difference and looked forward to the Sunday "gatherings", catching up on the news before starting the jobs in which I, personally anyway, took a pride in.
The fans were disengaged from the players with the introduction of that players lounge. For the first time I am still referring to many of the players by their shirt number. Never thought I would see that day.
It will be interesting to see how many of the sponsors do stay around if we are relegated.
I know you are a supporter Mike so I expect you to carry on doing just that as I doubt you were just putting money in because we were promoted.
I know the die hard SUPPORTERS will because its what we do through the hard times even if we moan about it---that's what we do best.
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:25 pm
by bigmac95
Holkerbird wrote: βSun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm
To be honest I have always questioned the "new sponsor people" commitment to the club. Where were these people when the chips were down and we were desperate for funds to keep our heads above water? In the past we relied on the loyal people who were there when we owed them money but they kept providing us with the necessary to function, albeit hand to mouth. Not publicity seeking people or money men, just wanting to help as best they could. I doubt many of those people or businesses are here now. I realise the club is a business but surely some loyalty could have been shown to them as we wouldn't have had a club without their help.
The fans who organised fund raising ventures---and very enterprising ones they were. It generated a camaraderie that has lost its way now. Some decent money accumulated over the seasons. The atmosphere created by the Ultras with the banners and flags. Who could forget the Darlington one, a moment to cherish in support of another club facing extinction. The humour of the Fleetwood one too.
The volunteer workshops where you felt you were making a difference and looked forward to the Sunday "gatherings", catching up on the news before starting the jobs in which I, personally anyway, took a pride in.
The fans were disengaged from the players with the introduction of that players lounge. For the first time I am still referring to many of the players by their shirt number. Never thought I would see that day.
It will be interesting to see how many of the sponsors do stay around if we are relegated.
I know you are a supporter Mike so I expect you to carry on doing just that as I doubt you were just putting money in because we were promoted.
I know the die hard SUPPORTERS will because its what we do through the hard times even if we moan about it---that's what we do best.
[SwearFilter] me, that is a great post. Could do with sending that in an email to the club management.
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:59 pm
by blue nige
I met someone who runs a successful local company in Dalton Road a couple of months back, I innocently asked if he was going to the match he then told me of a tale of why he withdrew his sponsorship from the club I won't divulge what it involved but I was disappointed as yet again our club shoots itself in the foot!
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:14 pm
by Jonty
olbarrafancumbak wrote: βSun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 pm
I was reet proud to be in a position to sponsor the club, we seemed to be a bunch of winners and heading forward to the promised land!
I fear I am not the only sponsor questioning my sanity and I do worry for the season ahead.. will the current sponsors want to be involved? Will there be any new business or company wanting to sign up? The hospitality is ok but poorly attended, the buzz has slowly dwindled and apart from a bit if a craic and palatable grub..its list its way!
Like I say, was proud to be involved but will I want to do it again?
That's the same question people have to ask whether they are a platinum sponsor or deciding to go through the Turnstiles next week as a fan and it's a question only the individual can answer. It's easier to support when things are going well but when the things are tough then that is when everyone's support is needed more than ever.
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 pm
by olbarrafancumbak
Holkerbird wrote: βSun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm
To be honest I have always questioned the "new sponsor people" commitment to the club. Where were these people when the chips were down and we were desperate for funds to keep our heads above water? In the past we relied on the loyal people who were there when we owed them money but they kept providing us with the necessary to function, albeit hand to mouth. Not publicity seeking people or money men, just wanting to help as best they could. I doubt many of those people or businesses are here now. I realise the club is a business but surely some loyalty could have been shown to them as we wouldn't have had a club without their help.
The fans who organised fund raising ventures---and very enterprising ones they were. It generated a camaraderie that has lost its way now. Some decent money accumulated over the seasons. The atmosphere created by the Ultras with the banners and flags. Who could forget the Darlington one, a moment to cherish in support of another club facing extinction. The humour of the Fleetwood one too.
The volunteer workshops where you felt you were making a difference and looked forward to the Sunday "gatherings", catching up on the news before starting the jobs in which I, personally anyway, took a pride in.
The fans were disengaged from the players with the introduction of that players lounge. For the first time I am still referring to many of the players by their shirt number. Never thought I would see that day.
It will be interesting to see how many of the sponsors do stay around if we are relegated.
I know you are a supporter Mike so I expect you to carry on doing just that as I doubt you were just putting money in because we were promoted.
I know the die hard SUPPORTERS will because its what we do through the hard times even if we moan about it---that's what we do best.
Barrow is in my heart so I will no doubt continue to give as much as I can. .
Planning for the next season has to start now! Do we have a fans liason now ian has gone? This next meet manager and Andrew is a chance to put case forward. . Just feels like something is missing, something is not just right and maybe its just something so simple?
Like you said elaine, the trust and volunteers did a mega job and had a total togetherness about it, maybe we have tried to run before walking?
Hospitality should be bouncing, people shouldnt be going soccer bar ar half time.. missing out on so much revenue!
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:20 pm
by olbarrafancumbak
Lancaster Branch wrote: βSun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm
Are you talking to yourself here?
Nurse! NURSE!!
Always need a nurse!!! Lol
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm
by Summerof76
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:33 pm
by olbarrafancumbak
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 pm
by Summerof76
And this discussion is talking about two different things. Sponsorship is completely different to volunteers coming in to help out. Sponsorship should be about, yes putting money into the club, but added value that the company gets back in return. Companies come and go. Thatβs the nature of business. A company may use hospitality and advertising at the club one season and not need it the next if their marketing priorities are different in the next trading/financial. So the company may still be loyal but may support in other ways rather than spending their marketing budget on something that is not useful to them. You can support the club as a company, a fan or both. But there has to be a measurable outcome particularly when it comes to businesses.
And hospitality should be bouncing,.......I have my own opinions as to why itβs not but then I would wouldnβt I! And itβs nothing to do with price before anyone starts

Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:00 pm
by Holkerbird
Summerof76 wrote: βSun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 pm
And this discussion is talking about two different things. Sponsorship is completely different to volunteers coming in to help out. Sponsorship should be about, yes putting money into the club, but added value that the company gets back in return. Companies come and go. Thatβs the nature of business. A company may use hospitality and advertising at the club one season and not need it the next if their marketing priorities are different in the next trading/financial. So the company may still be loyal but may support in other ways rather than spending their marketing budget on something that is not useful to them. You can support the club as a company, a fan or both. But there has to be a measurable outcome particularly when it comes to businesses.
And hospitality should be bouncing,.......I have my own opinions as to why itβs not but then I would wouldnβt I! And itβs nothing to do with price before anyone starts
It does make a difference when the money men seems to take preference over the fans that have done their sponsoring through thick and thin but not in the obvious "Harry Enfield" way. It's about the heart and soul of the club and the fans are that.
What happened to the word sport? Obliterated by the word business.
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:04 pm
by Summerof76
@Holkerbird Weβll just agree to disagree on this one!
I donβt disagree about the fans being at the heart of the club. Absolutely.
Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:05 pm
by Holkerbird
Summerof76 wrote: βSun Feb 04, 2018 5:04 pm
@Holkerbird Weβll just agree to disagree on this one!
I donβt disagree about the fans being at the heart of the club. Absolutely.

Re: Sponsorship
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 pm
by supporter for life
I must disagree with Summer of 76's theory on the dismal turnouts for the corporate.
I have attended two or three each year since its inception and thoroughly enjoyed them.
Speaking to quite a few who used to attend we all agree;
Increase price + rationing of drinks = won't attend again!
Or maybe Summer of 76 thinks it IS the rationing of drinks that is the problem.. Pray tell.