Sponsored by - S Rodgers, J Goodwin, B Millburn, PC Lettings, NSC, S Leonard, Give ‘em Beans, NSC & Surrey Barrovian

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Online
User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Barrowabc wrote:Ian things are slowing down finally for me
Which means plastering and brickwork I'll take care of
That's fine Tommy, I know you've been busy lately but we'll still need a couple of building type trades shortly because we seem to have a couple of biggish breezeblock/brickwork jobs coming up.

One big job that I think I've come up with a solution to today is to still knock Vaughans car park down & close off the daft looking space on Wilkie Rd that it created. The ladies & gents by the main stand can then be built back to back so we can increase the toilet spaces. Do away with the old portaloo, this cuts down on maintenace on it & saves spending daft money on making it usable again.
We'd be able to save all the fixtures & fittings out of the portaloo to go into the new breezeblock built toilets.

All very similar to what needs to be done on the pop side toilets. Big job's for a brickie, helpers, plumber, electrician & plasterer. That's why we could do with some help with these trades.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

whitty1969
Platinum Member
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by whitty1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Count me in for the toilet lights Ian. Allan for the plumbing ;) Tommy for the block work. Other Tommy for the doors
And lots of labourers ???????

Online
User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by spirit of 1990 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:48 am

Uncle Peter wrote:Ian, is that skip going over the next few weeks. Was scoping the area out for the family day and that's one of the few things that will need doing to make the area clear for the various activities we have planned.

I'm happy to do the other bits of tidying to sort that area, but that's one thing I can't do!
Should be getting sorted this week Peter (thank you Trev)

I've asked if the skip can be replaced on the waste grass area this time, hope thats ok for you.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
Uncle Peter
Platinum Member
Posts: 3371
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Post by Uncle Peter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:06 am

That's fine Ian, thanks for that.
"As long as they don't start causing any bother they are welcome to continue reinforcing my belief the Midlands is only good for nuking."

Mr R Ingham, 02/10/2013

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:Ian, is that skip going over the next few weeks. Was scoping the area out for the family day and that's one of the few things that will need doing to make the area clear for the various activities we have planned.

I'm happy to do the other bits of tidying to sort that area, but that's one thing I can't do!
Should be getting sorted this week Peter (thank you Trev)

I've asked if the skip can be replaced on the waste grass area this time, hope thats ok for you.
Great service by Sinkfall who emptied the skip today and replaced it where you asked. I asked the lad to pass on our thanks and appreciation for their help. This saves us a hell of an amount of money.

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 pm

The home changing room has a serious flooding problem whenever it rains. Water everywhere today and Les said it has been like that for a few years!! I don't know how the players manage if there is a heavy downpour on a match day. It isn't safe for one thing as
there's a possibility of someone slipping and hurting themselves.
Perhaps we can investigate where the leak is occurring lads. Seems a shame if the upgrading is going to be spoilt by this problem.

User avatar
bobbie moore
Bronze Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by bobbie moore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Do the BOD not know of this Elaine ,if not I think it once again shows how out of touch they are,Surely it must be their responsibility for maintenance of Holker st facilities.... :( :(

User avatar
Uncle Peter
Platinum Member
Posts: 3371
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Uncle Peter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:59 pm

bobbie moore wrote:Do the BOD not know of this Elaine ,if not I think it once again shows how out of touch they are,Surely it must be their responsibility for maintenance of Holker st facilities.... :( :(
Whilst I agree it's not good, I think you're being a bit quick to jump on the board. Whats to say they even know about this and if they do not, I don't see how they can be held accountable.

Yes, they have their faults, but lets be careful that we don't end up blaming everything on them.
"As long as they don't start causing any bother they are welcome to continue reinforcing my belief the Midlands is only good for nuking."

Mr R Ingham, 02/10/2013

User avatar
bobbie moore
Bronze Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by bobbie moore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm

if its been happening for number of years as quoted then they should know.....

Online
User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9884
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by spirit of 1990 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 pm

bobbie moore wrote:if its been happening for number of years as quoted then they should know.....
I'm pretty much with Peter on this, the BoD's will have had their hands full with plenty of other tasks over recent years. I'm not saying there shouldn't have been some system in place where perhaps they should have been alerted to various issues around the ground but I honestly don't know how they could have been expected to keep on top of everything that needed doing.
To tell you the truth I'm amazed at how they've even managed to keep the ground open with little or no money to do even running repairs - never mind improvements.

Anyway, on a more positive note to do with the home changing room, the wood was ordered on Saturday & delivered today, myself & Mrssenorita were there to get it put safely away in the M A & I think Tommy (P) will be starting on the modules tomorrow.
If the weather is nice we could really do with a few helpers to paint the pitch perimiter wall's. We need to have a bit of a push with some of the more visable things such as the wall's before the season starts.
When all the wall's are painted another big job will be to get all the pitchside sinage put back up (the ones that have been paid for) that alone is a big job!
I see the new sponsors name has gone up by the reception but they've left the other two big signs for us to put up behind either goal, we weren't even going to put ANY sign up directly behind the goals as it looks a bit tacky but that's where they want theirs.

I think Tommy & a few others will be there from 6:00 tomorrow, a few new faces over the next three planned visits would be good :)
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
Wintergreen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7481
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: The Blue Planet
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Wintergreen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Don’t forget to source some suitable non-permeable membrane and proprietary adhesive for when we tear the Skrill North a new A-hole. I think Garner’s have it.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by barrowfan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Probably not really the province of this thread but as I was sat waiting for the lights to change at the top of Holker Street I couldn't help noticing how pale and faded the FBS advert was.

Seemed strangely out of character when it's now called the Furness Building Society Stadium. ;)

mickmike wilson
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by mickmike wilson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:56 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
One big job that I think I've come up with a solution to today is to still knock Vaughans car park down & close off the daft looking space on Wilkie Rd that it created. The ladies & gents by the main stand can then be built back to back so we can increase the toilet spaces. Do away with the old portaloo, this cuts down on maintenace on it & saves spending daft money on making it usable again.

I can not help thinking that this carpark foot print could be turned into something useful ,after all 3 of the 4 walls are built already, would another room come in handy inside the ground, there must be a dozen differing types of uses, could this be a big toilet block or a n other type room, after all build 1more wall section then roof it all and there you have it, big project I know but its halfway built already, what do you think Ian, white elephant or other.

PS I am going to pm you with a easy fund raising idea for you lads in the winter months that could bag you a few grand.

mrsenario
Gold Member
Posts: 1628
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by mrsenario » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Nice quiet night tonight to start the home dressing room modules in the workshop...found a way forward and managed to mark out and cut a full 8 ft one and also make a sample corner and stained it up.
We now await the thumbs up or get darker or lighter stain....looks a good match to our design image at this stage.

Peter Exile and Klaus Moogintall managed to paint the Holker end pitch wall left hand section and Steve Ahern turned up for a quick shift and removed all the right side boards on the Holker End wall and some on the popular side. I think some of that wall got painted also

I managed to drill the new Skrill signs but no time to put them up, however at 9.oclock, big Al Robertson turned up and promptly told us the Skrill signs wont fit,
he was right, they might need trimming down as the wall height smaller than the signs. Then Al noticed the light on in the press box and chased kids out of the vaughans car park area where they just move a board to get in. These seem to be regular visitors and need to be caught.Whilst in the press box, he noticed a burning smell and they had tried to start a fire. Plenty more painting joinery, sponsor plaques on the Holker end (hopefully) and putting sponsor boards up on the pith perimeter wall as we enter the final week before the big kick off Sunday &Tuesday session will round off the summer programme

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ground maintenance area

Post by Holkerbird » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Anyone own a bloody great Rottweiler we can borrow for a night please?

Post Reply