Alex Meechan
Alex Meechan
I have been playing and coaching in Finland for the last 25 years and have recently returned to to the area for a short while and attended the Colwyn Bay game and was impressed with Alex Meechan's input from the dugout. Having heard from friends all about the furore surrounding the current manager I thought his assistant went about his job in a professional manner providing encouragement when needed and the odd admonishment here and there. After the game I was encouraged by friends to view this forum something I am not usually comfortable with. There were the usual comments about we should be beating teams like this but I think you need to realise that the manager has brought in players who are not good enough and thanks to his assistant they are getting some sort of results. Colwyn Bay had a centre back Smyth and a right back Taylor who would walk into the Barrow side and if I am correct played with Meechan during his short stay at Colwyn Bay. There are other players whom Meechan has also played with and I believe when and not if the present incumbent leaves or is sacked these players will make their way to Barrow and then the club will begin to see improvement on the playing side. never like to see a manager sacked but sometimes it is a necessity and a number two comes into his own. Alex Meechan could be just what Barrow needs both on the managerial side and to build bridges. Good luck for the rest of the season

Re: Alex Meechan
Good post Alex! 
- 32mile_cul-de-sac
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2443
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 pm
Re: Alex Meechan
Can i ask how do you know if the player are not good enough, serious question, is your assumption on watching one game?Finbar61 wrote:I have been playing and coaching in Finland for the last 25 years and have recently returned to to the area for a short while and attended the Colwyn Bay game and was impressed with Alex Meechan's input from the dugout. Having heard from friends all about the furore surrounding the current manager I thought his assistant went about his job in a professional manner providing encouragement when needed and the odd admonishment here and there. After the game I was encouraged by friends to view this forum something I am not usually comfortable with. There were the usual comments about we should be beating teams like this but I think you need to realise that the manager has brought in players who are not good enough and thanks to his assistant they are getting some sort of results. Colwyn Bay had a centre back Smyth and a right back Taylor who would walk into the Barrow side and if I am correct played with Meechan during his short stay at Colwyn Bay. There are other players whom Meechan has also played with and I believe when and not if the present incumbent leaves or is sacked these players will make their way to Barrow and then the club will begin to see improvement on the playing side. never like to see a manager sacked but sometimes it is a necessity and a number two comes into his own. Alex Meechan could be just what Barrow needs both on the managerial side and to build bridges. Good luck for the rest of the season![]()
![]()
- bobbie moore
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 848
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm
- Contact:
Re: Alex Meechan
IMHO the only Colwyn Bay player that stood out was Sinclair never notice the two mentioned at all
Re: Alex Meechan
I should have stated that was my fourth game the others were a league game and two friendlies as for Mr Moore's comment as a coach and a manager I watch both sides not just Barrow 
- Esso Blue
- Senior Member
- Posts: 425
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:59 pm
- Location: Buckinghamshire
- Contact:
Re: Alex Meechan
Moi moi, Finbar61
As the saying goes, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." Or at least don your tin hat for the abuse when you don't conform to the expected opinions of the mafia on here. The 'Put up or shut up post' provides a perfect example.
(Stands back and waits for the expected abuse.)
As the saying goes, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." Or at least don your tin hat for the abuse when you don't conform to the expected opinions of the mafia on here. The 'Put up or shut up post' provides a perfect example.
(Stands back and waits for the expected abuse.)
Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom.....
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8337
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Alex Meechan
What relation are you to Meechs?
Re: Alex Meechan
Colwyn Bay number 2 was a good player, Danny Taylor ex Shrewsbury rightback who was being watched by Bury. Bit lightweight but I haven't been over impressed with Burns so far, I think Bateson a better rightback who we had on trial but never signed up...
I think it would be best for everyone if Bayliss were to leave, and I wouldn't be against Meechan taking over temporarily as his replacement. And who knows if he did half as well as Bayliss and Sheridan did when they first took over then why not offer him something longer?
I think it would be best for everyone if Bayliss were to leave, and I wouldn't be against Meechan taking over temporarily as his replacement. And who knows if he did half as well as Bayliss and Sheridan did when they first took over then why not offer him something longer?
Re: Alex Meechan
Proof, if any were needed that most footballers are stupid.
The views expressed on this site are my own and do reflect the views of my employer
Re: Alex Meechan
What you seem to be forgetting is that most of the players brought in already have been Meechan's connections - almost every single one in fact!
Re: Alex Meechan
A Colwyn Bay perspective!!
Taylor may well go on to better things but he needs to fill out a little and tends to get caught out of position somewhat. No doubting he is going to be a decent level footballer but not one I would think that you need.
Smyth is good at the back and would be 1st on my teamsheet every week but he isn't a domineering player and only looks comfortable when alongside some experience.
The original poster has missed out on 2 people in our side that would better yours but will keep them close to my chest.
Taylor may well go on to better things but he needs to fill out a little and tends to get caught out of position somewhat. No doubting he is going to be a decent level footballer but not one I would think that you need.
Smyth is good at the back and would be 1st on my teamsheet every week but he isn't a domineering player and only looks comfortable when alongside some experience.
The original poster has missed out on 2 people in our side that would better yours but will keep them close to my chest.
- Ste Story
- BarrowAFC.net Administrator
- Posts: 8192
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
- Location: Costa Del Barrow
- Contact:
Re: Alex Meechan
The manager and the board?jpd1606 wrote:The original poster has missed out on 2 people in our side that would better yours but will keep them close to my chest.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests