Atherstone match thread
-
Ziggerzagger
- Member
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:03 pm
- Location: Dalton In Furness--gods country
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
Just spoke to my cousin who was at the game and he concurs with whats been said and reported.He will now be seeking legal advice on monday with a view to claiming compensation for his bruised and swollen face along with the nightmare scenario of seeing his 10 year old witness his dad getting smacked in the face.Utterly disgracefull,the club needs shutting down.No police,inadequate stewards and fans fenced into a cage.God knows what would have happened if those fans got trapped in there.
Re: Atherstone match thread
Cannot believe the events today, I brought a coaching friend from Finland to the game as he wanted to sample the atmosphere of the greatest cup competition in the world, it was like a step back in time to the eighties around the time I left the UK to play in Finland. The events today are not a football problem but a society problem that has always lurked beneath the surface. In the eighties Mrs Thatcher's government and subsequent governments treated football fans as animals and nothing more. Unfortunately for football it has always attracted morons but these people and I use the term loosely are morons in everyday life and as football attracts large crowds it is easy for them to carry out their acts of violence anonymously. The worst part of this outrageous incident is that the game and the result have become secondary due to idiots attempting to gain notoriety and whilst Atherstone should rightly be sanctioned all those clearly entering the field of play which is an offence in itself should be charged with inciting a riot with intent to endanger life and be jailed. I believed this sort of behaviour had left football in this country but have been reliably informed that this sort of incident can still be found in the lower leagues especially around the midlands, friends who were involved with Telford apparently had their coaches "bombed" at Nuneaton when both clubs were in the conference North and vying for the title. For every genuine football fan at that game today the day was ruined and the F.A. CUP tarnished by lowlifes who are not brave enough to pull on a pair of boots for fear of physical contact in a situation where the odds are evened out. Sad day for football ruined by morons that have no interest in what is is the greatest game in the world.
- sanddevil-temp
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2496
- Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:00 pm
- Location: Fulham. Or is it Hammersmith? West London any road.
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
I like the sound of that. Anyone for a class action against Atherstone Town FC? Their stewardship and policing was, I would hazard, inadequate at best and woefully / criminally negligent at worst. I can't believe litigation isn't possible. They have a duty of care for away fans that wasn't evident today. I saw dreadful scenes I've not seen at football for decades and there is a culpability here which needs addressing through legal redress.Ziggerzagger wrote:Just spoke to my cousin who was at the game and he concurs with whats been said and reported.He will now be seeking legal advice on monday with a view to claiming compensation for his bruised and swollen face along with the nightmare scenario of seeing his 10 year old witness his dad getting smacked in the face.Utterly disgracefull,the club needs shutting down.No police,inadequate stewards and fans fenced into a cage.God knows what would have happened if those fans got trapped in there.
Me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/badzillacouk
Creator and developer of the extremely annoying Barrow AFC Twitter Bot https://twitter.com/BarrowAFCbot
Creator and developer of the extremely annoying Barrow AFC Twitter Bot https://twitter.com/BarrowAFCbot
Re: Atherstone match thread
This is not an attempt to troll, or seek bites.
Why didn't Barrow supporters fight back today?
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not remotely violent, certainly not tough by any means and abhor this kind of thing.
However, if I'd seen some absolute massive cunts assaulting OAP's, I'm pretty sure I couldn't just stand by and not retaliate(for want of a better word).
Not saying that the Barrow fans there should have retaliated or started throwing punches but I sure as hell wouldn't have blamed them if they had.
Why didn't Barrow supporters fight back today?
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not remotely violent, certainly not tough by any means and abhor this kind of thing.
However, if I'd seen some absolute massive cunts assaulting OAP's, I'm pretty sure I couldn't just stand by and not retaliate(for want of a better word).
Not saying that the Barrow fans there should have retaliated or started throwing punches but I sure as hell wouldn't have blamed them if they had.
The views expressed on this site are my own and do reflect the views of my employer
- Ste Story
- BarrowAFC.net Administrator
- Posts: 8192
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
- Location: Costa Del Barrow
- Contact:
Re: Re: Atherstone match thread
A few barrow fans did "defend" themselves and each other and throw a few punches back Reg but it's not as if there was really anyone there capable of anything except self preservation... This was a group of almost exclusively families, the elderly and young people, not as if there was any element or firm there to do the fighting back when you're heavily outnumbered and trying to stop the more vulnerable members of the support being targeted whilst getting a good kicking yourself.Reg wrote:This is not an attempt to troll, or seek bites.
Why didn't Barrow supporters fight back today?
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not remotely violent, certainly not tough by any means and abhor this kind of thing.
However, if I'd seen some absolute massive cunts assaulting OAP's, I'm pretty sure I couldn't just stand by and not retaliate(for want of a better word).
Not saying that the Barrow fans there should have retaliated or started throwing punches but I sure as hell wouldn't have blamed them if they had.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
- sanddevil-temp
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2496
- Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:00 pm
- Location: Fulham. Or is it Hammersmith? West London any road.
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
Are you having a [SwearFilter] laugh?Reg wrote:This is not an attempt to troll, or seek bites.
Why didn't Barrow supporters fight back today?
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not remotely violent, certainly not tough by any means and abhor this kind of thing.
However, if I'd seen some absolute massive cunts assaulting OAP's, I'm pretty sure I couldn't just stand by and not retaliate(for want of a better word).
Not saying that the Barrow fans there should have retaliated or started throwing punches but I sure as hell wouldn't have blamed them if they had.
So the Barrow fans were confronted by 30 or so rabid Atherstone 'fans' intent and geared up for a scrap. They [SwearFilter] well charged the Barrow end - populated with mainly middle aged men like myself. This wasn't a [SwearFilter] meet and greet circle jerk at the annual works outing - this was hard core rucking of the order I haven't seen for three or so decades art a football game. When was the last time you were confronted by a situation like that? It's all well and good spouting nonsense like this from the safety of your [SwearFilter] keyboard - let me tell you - you weren't there, and it was a [SwearFilter] war zone. Don't ever, unless you lived it, come that nonsense to me. The situation was dynamic, ugly and [SwearFilter] out of control.
Reg - I don't always like your posts, but they are usually worth reading. This one really plumbs the depths and does you no favours.
Me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/badzillacouk
Creator and developer of the extremely annoying Barrow AFC Twitter Bot https://twitter.com/BarrowAFCbot
Creator and developer of the extremely annoying Barrow AFC Twitter Bot https://twitter.com/BarrowAFCbot
Re: Atherstone match thread
As I said fella, I'm not judging anyone as I wasn't there.
It was more a hypothetical question.
Is it, or would it be ok to fight back in that spot and would any fighting back in the act of defending yourself/friends result in bans?
It was more a hypothetical question.
Is it, or would it be ok to fight back in that spot and would any fighting back in the act of defending yourself/friends result in bans?
The views expressed on this site are my own and do reflect the views of my employer
- Ste Story
- BarrowAFC.net Administrator
- Posts: 8192
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
- Location: Costa Del Barrow
- Contact:
Re: Re: Atherstone match thread
Highly Doubtful... To receive a ban you need to commit an offence that fulfils the criteria to be a "qualifying offence" for a football ban. Self defence would almost certainly negate any potential criminal offence.Reg wrote:As I said fella, I'm not judging anyone as I wasn't there.
It was more a hypothetical question.
Is it, or would it be ok to fight back in that spot and would any fighting back in the act of defending yourself/friends result in bans?
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Re: Atherstone match thread
I genuinely meant no offence.sanddevil-temp wrote:Are you having a [SwearFilter] laugh?Reg wrote:This is not an attempt to troll, or seek bites.
Why didn't Barrow supporters fight back today?
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not remotely violent, certainly not tough by any means and abhor this kind of thing.
However, if I'd seen some absolute massive cunts assaulting OAP's, I'm pretty sure I couldn't just stand by and not retaliate(for want of a better word).
Not saying that the Barrow fans there should have retaliated or started throwing punches but I sure as hell wouldn't have blamed them if they had.
So the Barrow fans were confronted by 30 or so rabid Atherstone 'fans' intent and geared up for a scrap. They [SwearFilter] well charged the Barrow end - populated with mainly middle aged men like myself. This wasn't a [SwearFilter] meet and greet circle jerk at the annual works outing - this was hard core rucking of the order I haven't seen for three or so decades art a football game. When was the last time you were confronted by a situation like that? It's all well and good spouting nonsense like this from the safety of your [SwearFilter] keyboard - let me tell you - you weren't there, and it was a [SwearFilter] war zone. Don't ever, unless you lived it, come that nonsense to me. The situation was dynamic, ugly and [SwearFilter] out of control.
Reg - I don't always like your posts, but they are usually worth reading. This one really plumbs the depths and does you no favours.
As I said in my reply to Ste, I wasn't there and my initial post was a badly worded hypothetical question.
Apologies if I offended you, it wasn't my intention. I know I like to get bites most of the time but this isn't one of them. Just a badly worded post.
The views expressed on this site are my own and do reflect the views of my employer
-
the_city_of_urswick
- Member
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
I hope all barrow fans that went today are ok, unfortunately a few mindless scum ruined our day today. Apart from that though it's great to be in the draw for the 4th qualifying round. We have got through the silly conference north rounds now aha 
-
Mancetterblue
- New Member
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:25 pm
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
Facebook account of the nob who threw the flare in to the stand - https://www.facebook.com/andrew.storey.338 His timeline has been hidden recently.
- bobbie moore
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 848
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
Reg ........I got the impression, from action and comments made by the inept stewards ,that they were looking to blame Barrow supporters and would have done if more were involved.
The blame is entirely on Atherstone FC lack of organising security,proper segregation,Warwickshire Police for allowing these morons to even get to ground when obvious what their intentions were ,as previously stated.
The blame is entirely on Atherstone FC lack of organising security,proper segregation,Warwickshire Police for allowing these morons to even get to ground when obvious what their intentions were ,as previously stated.
Re: Atherstone match thread
Think it was mentioned on BBC Radio Sheepdip that the stewards had been brought in from Coventry City hence the Ricoh jackets. They weren't very good if this was true.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich Nietzsche
-
Bingo
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 4100
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
- Location: Failsworth, Manchester
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
A lot of the Barrow spilled into the car park behind the stand when the fans started to run across the pitch - you don't know what these people are capable of - it was very frightening
It wasn't the case of us standing there any letting people throw punches
- I really thought at the time that 100s of fans would have followed suit and run across I feared someone would be killed - the stewards were out of control and police weren't even in the ground
The stand was dark enough with a flare in it you couldn't see anything
No disrespect to you Reg but you would have been in the car park with many of us
It wasn't the case of us standing there any letting people throw punches
- I really thought at the time that 100s of fans would have followed suit and run across I feared someone would be killed - the stewards were out of control and police weren't even in the ground
The stand was dark enough with a flare in it you couldn't see anything
No disrespect to you Reg but you would have been in the car park with many of us
Last edited by Bingo on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Wintergreen
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7481
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
- Location: The Blue Planet
- Contact:
Re: Atherstone match thread
For the zombies of Atherstone stuck in that 80s time warp – here’s what happens next:
• People start to die at football grounds and every one wises up
• Eventually even the Tories have enough of Mrs Thatcher
• Labour get back in but take to international war mongering
• Computers take over the workplace
• Prince Charles cheats on Diana who later dies in a car crash
• Terrorists fly jets into the World Trade Center
• Barrow win twice at Wembley
• Er, that’s it
Atherstone – you are welcome to Hell.
• People start to die at football grounds and every one wises up
• Eventually even the Tories have enough of Mrs Thatcher
• Labour get back in but take to international war mongering
• Computers take over the workplace
• Prince Charles cheats on Diana who later dies in a car crash
• Terrorists fly jets into the World Trade Center
• Barrow win twice at Wembley
• Er, that’s it
Atherstone – you are welcome to Hell.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: barrow1987, Big_Bluebird, bluessupporter, DerekW, John_Bucks, Jonty, MisterPleasant, olefogey, Scott5, Slenderhead and 63 guests