New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
I was pointing out his double standards, nothing more.
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
Quite correct,the rugby didn't turn us down,they did indeed intend to let us play at crazy park for a season IF we kept our place in the Conference.And that's the key word IF.Kieran wrote:The rugby didn't turn us down, had the Conference allowed us to keep our place then plans were in place to ground share at Craven Park for a season and were pretty much confirmed. I've still got the old mail cutting that confirms this.blue nige wrote: I could never agree to this scenario have you forgotten what happened in 1999 when at the time we didn't know if we would be allowed to use holker street and the people in charge at the rugby turned us down leaving us facing a desperate situation,I know there are different people in charge now but I can never forget their treachery! also their fans could have spoken up but just silence!.
I know this might sound pathetic but much as I love our club I would stop coming if we ever joined together!
Personally I don't give much of a toss about the Raiders and even less about rugby in general. However, although its good to have a bit of banter between the two sets of supporters I'd never wish any ill on them. Given the choice I'd like to see both clubs successful as it could only be a good thing for the town.
What the Mail didn't tell us because they didn't know, was that if We had gone down the pyramid to some obscure league then the craven park officials of that time were prepared to keep Us away from craven park-their logic being that the more obscure the league that We played in, being to all intense and purposes a struggling club,= We cant guarantee good gates= We cant guarantee the rental income to our landlords.
That's the reality of the situation as it existed at that particular point in time.
- Uncle Peter
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3371
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm
- Location: Barrow
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
As most know Paul and his good lady are avid readers of this forum, and Paul has sent me the following to clear a few points up -
Paul Casson wrote:
As always, the forum seems a molten mass of interesting ideas. The stadium development seems of particular interest. So, to bring some focus to some of the debate, there are a few rules.
We aren't moving from our current location, no matter what. That is in no way to preclude a growing and more fruitful relationship with the RL fraternity for the benefit of both clubs and the community at large. However, I don't think ground sharing is a likely option for one big reason. All our memories are on that piece of dirt at holker street and they don't transition easily. I can't think of one ground relocation that has led to an improved atmosphere.
So, we are bounded by our heritage and therefore how do we make the best of it, while still playing football. Well, improve the bar, seems a fairly obvious move for a fan base that enjoys social engagements. So, please come along to the Lowestoft game and see the results of that particular effort. It is designed to be a space the fans feel comfortable in and will encourage people to bring their wives, husbands, partners, waifs, strays, in fact anyone who wears blue and white.
The rest of the development, is, I am assured, possible, with planning. The most critical item is likely to be traffic flow. We will need a scheme to direct traffic away from the ground, probably to remote parking.
Once that is solved, the fun part can begin.
The architects responses are due by mid November and so I will probably hold a fans forum around that time, in the newly refurbished hospitality area, to discuss some of that and any other pressing issues. Hopefully we will have another couple of big announcements by that time.
So, next time you visit the ground, take a look at it from a developers point of view and you will see, as I did, exactly how much room we have. Right now, we have seating for a 1000, and standing for about 4000 more, if we all breathe in. All we are really talking about is adding 3000 seats, which if designed correctly opens up a lot of additional space for useful things like offices, changing rooms, a gym, bars, conference rooms., etc. it's really not very difficult. There is a ton of room at the Steelworks End and it stretches far outside the ground.
The correct image, and maintaining the atmosphere however, now that's the trick.
Finally, I will be in town to open the new bar, perhaps with a new name. I know Elaine doesn't want to change it, and while I would never try to influence the vote, I do have two thoughts for early consideration.
One is, I really like the idea of calling it the Steelworks End.
If we were to name for a former player, then I would go for Brian Arrowsmith.
Or, we could call it Elaine's Cross Bar. Don't hate that, just a thought.
Sincerely
Paul
"As long as they don't start causing any bother they are welcome to continue reinforcing my belief the Midlands is only good for nuking."
Mr R Ingham, 02/10/2013
Mr R Ingham, 02/10/2013
- spirit of 1990
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 9885
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
Uncle Peter wrote:As most know Paul and his good lady are avid readers of this forum, and Paul has sent me the following to clear a few points up -
Paul Casson wrote:
As always, the forum seems a molten mass of interesting ideas. The stadium development seems of particular interest. So, to bring some focus to some of the debate, there are a few rules.
We aren't moving from our current location, no matter what. That is in no way to preclude a growing and more fruitful relationship with the RL fraternity for the benefit of both clubs and the community at large. However, I don't think ground sharing is a likely option for one big reason. All our memories are on that piece of dirt at holker street and they don't transition easily. I can't think of one ground relocation that has led to an improved atmosphere.
So, we are bounded by our heritage and therefore how do we make the best of it, while still playing football. Well, improve the bar, seems a fairly obvious move for a fan base that enjoys social engagements. So, please come along to the Lowestoft game and see the results of that particular effort. It is designed to be a space the fans feel comfortable in and will encourage people to bring their wives, husbands, partners, waifs, strays, in fact anyone who wears blue and white.
The rest of the development, is, I am assured, possible, with planning. The most critical item is likely to be traffic flow. We will need a scheme to direct traffic away from the ground, probably to remote parking.
Once that is solved, the fun part can begin.
The architects responses are due by mid November and so I will probably hold a fans forum around that time, in the newly refurbished hospitality area, to discuss some of that and any other pressing issues. Hopefully we will have another couple of big announcements by that time.
So, next time you visit the ground, take a look at it from a developers point of view and you will see, as I did, exactly how much room we have. Right now, we have seating for a 1000, and standing for about 4000 more, if we all breathe in. All we are really talking about is adding 3000 seats, which if designed correctly opens up a lot of additional space for useful things like offices, changing rooms, a gym, bars, conference rooms., etc. it's really not very difficult. There is a ton of room at the Steelworks End and it stretches far outside the ground.
The correct image, and maintaining the atmosphere however, now that's the trick.
Finally, I will be in town to open the new bar, perhaps with a new name. I know Elaine doesn't want to change it, and while I would never try to influence the vote, I do have two thoughts for early consideration.
One is, I really like the idea of calling it the Steelworks End.
If we were to name for a former player, then I would go for Brian Arrowsmith.
Or, we could call it Elaine's Cross Bar. Don't hate that, just a thought.
Sincerely
Paul
Think thats the pond filling idea out of the way slurpy
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
Cheers for posting that Pete, and to Paul for writing it. Music to the ears, it's almost too good to be true that we've got an owner who is not only prepared to invest in the ground but seems to actually get and understand the things that are important.
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7132
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
Thanks for the statement,Mr Casson/"uncle peter".
Now everyone knows the score and I can sleep tonight (no more nightmare scenarios!)now we can all get back to the business of getting out of this bloody league!

Now everyone knows the score and I can sleep tonight (no more nightmare scenarios!)now we can all get back to the business of getting out of this bloody league!
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
Nah...there's the trip to old Trafford first so Paul can get his money back what he,s invested....now don't be late Saturday yawl!!!!we are in this together
Let the journey commence
Let the journey commence
- barrowfan_chris
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3508
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm
- Location: The Former Republic of Barrovia.
- Contact:
How more in touch with club and support can Casson be we have got so lucky with the way everything has turned out this time last year we were just heading into our low point we couldnt be further from that if we tried.
Love the fact paul gets history,tradition and atmosphere a low roof on the Holker street end wpuld certainly help intimidate visiting teams and support.
All bluebirds are blue!
Love the fact paul gets history,tradition and atmosphere a low roof on the Holker street end wpuld certainly help intimidate visiting teams and support.
All bluebirds are blue!
-
Holkerbird
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6547
- Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
I don't think the Steelworks End is a good idea for the following reason.
Everyone always shortens names and as we already have a Steelworks pub in the town this could lead to problems as it would probably end up just being called the Steelworks.
There's always CASSY'S as an alternative. Incorporating the initials of the two sons of our revered leader.
Everyone always shortens names and as we already have a Steelworks pub in the town this could lead to problems as it would probably end up just being called the Steelworks.
There's always CASSY'S as an alternative. Incorporating the initials of the two sons of our revered leader.
-
SlurpyTigga
- Member
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 am
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
spirit of 1990 wrote:Uncle Peter wrote:As most know Paul and his good lady are avid readers of this forum, and Paul has sent me the following to clear a few points up -
Think thats the pond filling idea out of the way slurpy
So what am I supposed to do with this 500 million tons of sand I've just bought off some Nigerian website??
Seriously, what a great statement!! Thank you Paul Casson.
As for the Cross Bar name change, how about The Bluebird?? Bring back a load of memories.
- tommy2thumbs
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2471
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:26 pm
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
Why do people have to copy and re-post the entire statement
we only need to read it once!
we only need to read it once!
La lucha continua...
-
Roadrunner
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 765
- Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 pm
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
I've been thinking about that, there's no need to include the full post, also pointless poststommy2thumbs wrote:Why do people have to copy and re-post the entire statement
we only need to read it once!
We're all supporters on here. Let's leave the negative comments to the away fans
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7132
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
and to spirit if both of you took time to read what i said i was refering to the people in charge of the rugby in no way have i ever criticised mr casson in fact read the threads i have wrote and i have always backed this guy as well as when we appointed "edmo"!mickmike wilson wrote:I was pointing out his double standards, nothing more.
have a go at me i don`t mind but please take time to read what`s been said before being hyper critical!
- spirit of 1990
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 9885
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
Nige, what Mike was pointing out was - because the people in charge of the rugby in 1999 weren't prepared to help us (which has been pointed out by a couple of people, they were) you now have a running vendeta against them & ill feeling towards them. Mike was making the point of, if you carry that through to our situation - SV had upset a lot of people in the town when in charge of our club, so are we now supposed to be judged by them people on what he did?blue nige wrote:and to spirit if both of you took time to read what i said i was refering to the people in charge of the rugby in no way have i ever criticised mr casson in fact read the threads i have wrote and i have always backed this guy as well as when we appointed "edmo"!mickmike wilson wrote:I was pointing out his double standards, nothing more.
have a go at me i don`t mind but please take time to read what`s been said before being hyper critical!
That's all, no one is being hyper critical & Mike wasn't saying you weren't fully behind what we have now.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.
-
Richard Ingham
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5115
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Chorley
- Contact:
Re: New Stadium or Redevelopment ?
How cross would she be? As cross as the time the away dressing rooms were left in a mess or as cross as she would be if she didn't get her Paddy hug?Paul Casson wrote:
Or, we could call it Elaine's Cross Bar. Don't hate that, just a thought.
Sincerely
Paul
I can just imagine the branding ...
And an owner who actually communicates with us in a timely and responsive fashion. Thanks Paul.Kieran wrote:
Music to the ears, it's almost too good to be true that we've got an owner who is not only prepared to invest in the ground but seems to actually get and understand the things that are important.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Always Ultra, askambluebird, AZ67, Barrow Lad New, Big_Bluebird, gibson.l4, HenneysKnee, Olderbarrowfan79+, ossickbluebird, SilverdaleBluebird, Stand By Me and 41 guests