The Big One, Chorley today
-
Bingo
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 4100
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
- Location: Failsworth, Manchester
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Well I don't have a handbag and I didn't see anything at the railway station
The people who support this club through good times and bad and the ones I see at away games are a credit to the club
The people who support this club through good times and bad and the ones I see at away games are a credit to the club
-
Billy Carbuncle
- Member
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
I can post photographs if you wish?Bingo wrote:Well I don't have a handbag and I didn't see anything at the railway station
The people who support this club through good times and bad and the ones I see at away games are a credit to the club
I came out of the Duke of York at the same time as some Chorley "fans" to be greeted by Barrow "fans" walking up the street, crossing the road to the barrier in the middle, shouting and swearing from both fans followed by bottles and glasses being thrown at each other. It only stopped when 53 million coppers turned up and dispersed the "fans" and escorted them to the ground.
The photos I have actually show some prominent member of this forum, I'm sure they won't want them posting?
I actually agree with you, the fans that follow Barrow AFC are a credit to the club, but it's these willybrains that spoil it for the proper fans.
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Great meeting the Carlisle fans at forton on the way home
absolute tools
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it
- spirit of 1990
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 9884
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Not a great game by any stretch of the imagination but I said I'd be happy with four points from them two games so.....
We pretty much hammered them the first half but just lacked the final touch. Grandy & Danny had virtually everything covered apart from that one moment when their player seemed as surprised as us that he was clear on goal.....that can be the only excuse for lofting the ball thirty foot over, not the cross bar but the STAND!!
Paddy, what the [SwearFilter] are you playing at? never actually saw the challenge but after getting the straight red he then decides to try and headbutt their player as he walks off the pitch. We will need that sort of midfielder next season (wherever we are) but I hope it's not Paddy.
Very surprised at hearing the team selection when we got there but have to admit Edmo seemed to have it spot on, would like to see our best players playing next time out though because I don't think we'll have another surface like that to contend with before the end of the season.
I like Chorley and if we go up I'd like them to get promoted as well. On the way out a couple of their supporters wished us well for the rest of the season, very decent away day.
Spare a thought for Si Nichols & Darren who are now on the platform at Manchester waiting for their train home down Sarf......with a packet of Elaine's treacle toffee as company to help pass the hours.
We pretty much hammered them the first half but just lacked the final touch. Grandy & Danny had virtually everything covered apart from that one moment when their player seemed as surprised as us that he was clear on goal.....that can be the only excuse for lofting the ball thirty foot over, not the cross bar but the STAND!!
Paddy, what the [SwearFilter] are you playing at? never actually saw the challenge but after getting the straight red he then decides to try and headbutt their player as he walks off the pitch. We will need that sort of midfielder next season (wherever we are) but I hope it's not Paddy.
Very surprised at hearing the team selection when we got there but have to admit Edmo seemed to have it spot on, would like to see our best players playing next time out though because I don't think we'll have another surface like that to contend with before the end of the season.
I like Chorley and if we go up I'd like them to get promoted as well. On the way out a couple of their supporters wished us well for the rest of the season, very decent away day.
Spare a thought for Si Nichols & Darren who are now on the platform at Manchester waiting for their train home down Sarf......with a packet of Elaine's treacle toffee as company to help pass the hours.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Said at the start of the day I would be happy with a point, and I am. We were better than them today, even with 10 men. Grand & Livesey were tremendous all afternoon, rarely missing a header. Cowps came into it as the game went on, too. Still can't understand why we are starting Carver on the wing, instead of Haworth. What has he got to do to get a start?!
As for Lacey, I wouldn't be bothered if that was his last game for the club. Absolutely clueless.
As for Lacey, I wouldn't be bothered if that was his last game for the club. Absolutely clueless.
#SWB
- NUFFSAID
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
- Location: Manchester/Walney (Ian Gomersall)
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Grandy and livesey were immense , never missed a header and other than a couple of mishaps they were always in full control , special mention to McWilliams who had a great game after such a long time out of the team. Like the last two games we never did enough up front or creatively to think we would score a goal , so 4 points from two tough games is brill.
Saw the paddy incident from what I saw he kneed the lad after getting tangled up , right in front of the ref and deserved a red card imo and then trying to butt the guy was just laughable , he let his teammates down and a special apology to pilks and Haworth is in order as both would have got on if we had 11 on the park.
It's going right to the wire....... It is Barrow afccccccccccccc remember
Saw the paddy incident from what I saw he kneed the lad after getting tangled up , right in front of the ref and deserved a red card imo and then trying to butt the guy was just laughable , he let his teammates down and a special apology to pilks and Haworth is in order as both would have got on if we had 11 on the park.
It's going right to the wire....... It is Barrow afccccccccccccc remember
- Ste Story
- BarrowAFC.net Administrator
- Posts: 8192
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
- Location: Costa Del Barrow
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Can only assume I'm seeing things completely different to everyone else on here because for me today left me incredibly frustrated.
Can't fault the players as such (didn't see Laceys red but having witnessed the previous hour of football there's no reason to suggest we'd have been any more creative had we had 11 on the pitch), they all were sent out to do a job, keep it tight and control the game and did so superbly.
We did that yes, we looked the better team, but yet again Edmo has set the team up not to lose, far too worried about the other team rather than making them worry about us. Packing the midfield, playing so narrow and cautious, that's not how we're going to win the league. You've got Andy Cook who's comfortably our top scorer in the league up front, but he's the sort of player that benefits from strong wing play, balls into the box and physical battles, so why the hell did we play without any wingers all game. What are you expecting Edmo, realistically how are you expecting us to score goals? He's not going to run on to a midfielders through ball or play intricate passes on the edge, you need to play to our strengths! The game was crying out for width and pace, yet we had Haworth, Reid and Pilkington all unused subs. Far too conservative and happy to take the draw, even with 11 men on the pitch, it's utter dross and in no way shape or form getting the best out of this squad.
Livesey was absolutely immaculate today, best I've seen him play and the other 3 at the back were excellent. Also thought Shez and Ledsham had their best games for us for some. That's a solid foundation to go and dominate a game. Add some pace and creativity (and some ambition!) to that and Chorley were there for the taking, while not quite as bad as they were in the 4-0 earlier in the season they looked completely average and had we gone out to win the game today rather than not lose it we'd have won it comfortably.
Take Haworths wonder goal from Friday out and that's the third game in a row we've been utterly toothless and devoid of any sort of goal threat. Off the top of my head i don't think we created a single chance other than Haworths out of the whole 270minutes of football. Yes we're still top and still have a cushion, but Fylde have shown today they're certainly not done yet and we seem to be going backwards quickly. Three wins and a draw are needed to win the league, but that requires a minimum of three goals being scored and at the moment you struggle to believe where they'll come from!
Can't fault the players as such (didn't see Laceys red but having witnessed the previous hour of football there's no reason to suggest we'd have been any more creative had we had 11 on the pitch), they all were sent out to do a job, keep it tight and control the game and did so superbly.
We did that yes, we looked the better team, but yet again Edmo has set the team up not to lose, far too worried about the other team rather than making them worry about us. Packing the midfield, playing so narrow and cautious, that's not how we're going to win the league. You've got Andy Cook who's comfortably our top scorer in the league up front, but he's the sort of player that benefits from strong wing play, balls into the box and physical battles, so why the hell did we play without any wingers all game. What are you expecting Edmo, realistically how are you expecting us to score goals? He's not going to run on to a midfielders through ball or play intricate passes on the edge, you need to play to our strengths! The game was crying out for width and pace, yet we had Haworth, Reid and Pilkington all unused subs. Far too conservative and happy to take the draw, even with 11 men on the pitch, it's utter dross and in no way shape or form getting the best out of this squad.
Livesey was absolutely immaculate today, best I've seen him play and the other 3 at the back were excellent. Also thought Shez and Ledsham had their best games for us for some. That's a solid foundation to go and dominate a game. Add some pace and creativity (and some ambition!) to that and Chorley were there for the taking, while not quite as bad as they were in the 4-0 earlier in the season they looked completely average and had we gone out to win the game today rather than not lose it we'd have won it comfortably.
Take Haworths wonder goal from Friday out and that's the third game in a row we've been utterly toothless and devoid of any sort of goal threat. Off the top of my head i don't think we created a single chance other than Haworths out of the whole 270minutes of football. Yes we're still top and still have a cushion, but Fylde have shown today they're certainly not done yet and we seem to be going backwards quickly. Three wins and a draw are needed to win the league, but that requires a minimum of three goals being scored and at the moment you struggle to believe where they'll come from!
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8337
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
We always knew Fylde were likely to win comfortably today........but I can't help but agree with Ste, Edmo is far more worried about other teams rather than getting our best 11 on the pitch and playing attacking football
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
A point isn't a bad result but its not a great one either, personally I thought Chorley were dreadful and were there for the taking.
Why we made 5 changes to the side only Edmo knows, just play your best [SwearFilter] team man! I don't care what his reasoning for not using Pilkington, Howarth or Reid was, he's just wrong. With the attacking options we've got we should be able to dominate any side in this division, but Edmo isn't getting the best out of them and isn't using them effectively. That may seem a daft thing to say when we're sat top of the league but the fact is that we've got that many good players who are just better than anything else in this league that whatever 11 we put out means we are going to win games. We haven't looked like a team all season and more often than not have relied on individuals to pull something out of the bag for us. We're stumbling over the line and for me there are still some huge question marks over Edmo.
On the plus side we're still in a great position, next week promises to be nervy but if we can win that then I'm confident we'll do it.
Fans were excellent in general. Also the most heavily policed match we've had for some time but on the whole I thought they handled it pretty well, although not entirely sure what happened outside the pub near the ground as we were being escorted from town. The only very irritating thing was not being allowed to leave Preston station when we had to change trains there which was way OTT.
Why we made 5 changes to the side only Edmo knows, just play your best [SwearFilter] team man! I don't care what his reasoning for not using Pilkington, Howarth or Reid was, he's just wrong. With the attacking options we've got we should be able to dominate any side in this division, but Edmo isn't getting the best out of them and isn't using them effectively. That may seem a daft thing to say when we're sat top of the league but the fact is that we've got that many good players who are just better than anything else in this league that whatever 11 we put out means we are going to win games. We haven't looked like a team all season and more often than not have relied on individuals to pull something out of the bag for us. We're stumbling over the line and for me there are still some huge question marks over Edmo.
On the plus side we're still in a great position, next week promises to be nervy but if we can win that then I'm confident we'll do it.
Fans were excellent in general. Also the most heavily policed match we've had for some time but on the whole I thought they handled it pretty well, although not entirely sure what happened outside the pub near the ground as we were being escorted from town. The only very irritating thing was not being allowed to leave Preston station when we had to change trains there which was way OTT.
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
We were sat with some of the Chorley fans next door and didnt notice any trouble? If you do have any pics I think you should send them to the club/police - if there was any criminal behaviour taking place im sure everyone involved with the club would be delighted to see the perpetrators banned, lest they bring any bad press to the clubBilly Carbuncle wrote:I can post photographs if you wish?Bingo wrote:Well I don't have a handbag and I didn't see anything at the railway station
The people who support this club through good times and bad and the ones I see at away games are a credit to the club
I came out of the Duke of York at the same time as some Chorley "fans" to be greeted by Barrow "fans" walking up the street, crossing the road to the barrier in the middle, shouting and swearing from both fans followed by bottles and glasses being thrown at each other. It only stopped when 53 million coppers turned up and dispersed the "fans" and escorted them to the ground.
The photos I have actually show some prominent member of this forum, I'm sure they won't want them posting?
I actually agree with you, the fans that follow Barrow AFC are a credit to the club, but it's these willybrains that spoil it for the proper fans.
Last edited by Leo on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrow-in-Furness - The 19th happiest place in Britain
-
whitty1969
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2937
- Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
100% agree and I've been saying the same thing for a few weeks now. Today we set up not to lose.Ste Story wrote:Can only assume I'm seeing things completely different to everyone else on here because for me today left me incredibly frustrated.
Can't fault the players as such (didn't see Laceys red but having witnessed the previous hour of football there's no reason to suggest we'd have been any more creative had we had 11 on the pitch), they all were sent out to do a job, keep it tight and control the game and did so superbly.
We did that yes, we looked the better team, but yet again Edmo has set the team up not to lose, far too worried about the other team rather than making them worry about us. Packing the midfield, playing so narrow and cautious, that's not how we're going to win the league. You've got Andy Cook who's comfortably our top scorer in the league up front, but he's the sort of player that benefits from strong wing play, balls into the box and physical battles, so why the hell did we play without any wingers all game. What are you expecting Edmo, realistically how are you expecting us to score goals? He's not going to run on to a midfielders through ball or play intricate passes on the edge, you need to play to our strengths! The game was crying out for width and pace, yet we had Haworth, Reid and Pilkington all unused subs. Far too conservative and happy to take the draw, even with 11 men on the pitch, it's utter dross and in no way shape or form getting the best out of this squad.
Livesey was absolutely immaculate today, best I've seen him play and the other 3 at the back were excellent. Also thought Shez and Ledsham had their best games for us for some. That's a solid foundation to go and dominate a game. Add some pace and creativity (and some ambition!) to that and Chorley were there for the taking, while not quite as bad as they were in the 4-0 earlier in the season they looked completely average and had we gone out to win the game today rather than not lose it we'd have won it comfortably.
Take Haworths wonder goal from Friday out and that's the third game in a row we've been utterly toothless and devoid of any sort of goal threat. Off the top of my head i don't think we created a single chance other than Haworths out of the whole 270minutes of football. Yes we're still top and still have a cushion, but Fylde have shown today they're certainly not done yet and we seem to be going backwards quickly. Three wins and a draw are needed to win the league, but that requires a minimum of three goals being scored and at the moment you struggle to believe where they'll come from!
We couldn't buy a goal. We need 3 wins and a draw !!!
Chorley were shit. They were there for the taking.
-
thegaffer77
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3448
- Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 pm
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Thought carver was very poor today. Didn't get into game at all. It was crying out for width again. Sadly cowps and shezzas crossing was poor. Howarth should have been on at half time. Cook and Guy were feeding off scraps.
Stood behind Ray Wilkie for years. Best education I ever had.
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Billy Carbuncle wrote:I can post photographs if you wish?Bingo wrote:Well I don't have a handbag and I didn't see anything at the railway station
The people who support this club through good times and bad and the ones I see at away games are a credit to the club
I came out of the Duke of York at the same time as some Chorley "fans" to be greeted by Barrow "fans" walking up the street, crossing the road to the barrier in the middle, shouting and swearing from both fans followed by bottles and glasses being thrown at each other. It only stopped when 53 million coppers turned up and dispersed the "fans" and escorted them to the ground.
The photos I have actually show some prominent member of this forum, I'm sure they won't want them posting?
I actually agree with you, the fans that follow Barrow AFC are a credit to the club, but it's these willybrains that spoil it for the proper fans.
I'm not a fan of the mongs who show up every now and then for a willy waving fest - god I used to have to work with one who thought he was in Green Street every time he showed up at a match - but to take photos and then threaten to out people is a bit weird
- Moonwatcher
- Senior Member
- Posts: 380
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
I was genuinely worried we might get turned over today, but in the end I was disappointed we didn't come away with the points. I thought the lads showed great attitude, pressed and closed down, and were first to everything. Apart from the howling miss (which I think was down to a slip?) Chorley had no threat at all. Even with a man down for almost 45 minutes (Paddy, when will you ever learn ffs???) we controlled the game. Despite all this, we look like a team that is running out of steam, and that worries me, because AFCF seem to be scoring for fun again. These last four games are going to be agonising. I agree with what most people are saying on here - Edmo is definitely over-thinking the job. Start your best 11 and get them doing what they do best. Why keep Haworth and Pilkington (both big game players who can make things happen) on the bench for the biggest game of the season???
Re: The Big One, Chorley today
Totally agree weird and wrong in so many ways!!!!!themaster wrote:Billy Carbuncle wrote: I can post photographs if you wish?
I came out of the Duke of York at the same time as some Chorley "fans" to be greeted by Barrow "fans" walking up the street, crossing the road to the barrier in the middle, shouting and swearing from both fans followed by bottles and glasses being thrown at each other. It only stopped when 53 million coppers turned up and dispersed the "fans" and escorted them to the ground.
The photos I have actually show some prominent member of this forum, I'm sure they won't want them posting?
I actually agree with you, the fans that follow Barrow AFC are a credit to the club, but it's these willybrains that spoil it for the proper fans.
I'm not a fan of the mongs who show up every now and then for a willy waving fest - god I used to have to work with one who thought he was in Green Street every time he showed up at a match - but to take photos and then threaten to out people is a bit weird
Last edited by McMark on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests