Barrow v Southport match thread
-
GTBLUE
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5238
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm
- Location: WHEN WE HAD A ROOF
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Exactly Charlie. We have lost 900, read it again,900 fans from our first home game. I know there was all the hype of the new season, but to lose 900 fans is astonishing. Hope you read the forum Edmo.
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Now u mention it,I never saw k hayman today. Think he was on about a day out in manchesterBingo wrote:Nice weekend
Bank holiday
People away
Cartmel races
Boxing at nines
Gay pride in Manchester
Lots of reasons - play like we did last couple of games last season and the crowds will grow - play this defensive sit back on a one goal lead crap and the floaters with float off
how we get there i don,t no.Barrows on the way
-
whitty1969
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2937
- Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
HaHa. I spotted him and a former member of this forum getting an early train to Manchester this morning. Bit of shopping? 
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Cheers for that, never knew the BBC had possession stats.Nigel Bamford wrote:66:34 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34025490Moribund wrote:
If we had Prem-level stats, possession must've been about 80/20.
On a side note, how accurate can they be? As far as I can tell, at Barrow games at least, there is just one bloke from the Press Association, and he's also radioing in the action. Does anyone know how they arrive at those figures?
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
pretty sure i saw him donning jeans and a pinstripe shirt.. could be wrongpaddy71 wrote:Now u mention it,I never saw k hayman today. Think he was on about a day out in manchesterBingo wrote:Nice weekend
Bank holiday
People away
Cartmel races
Boxing at nines
Gay pride in Manchester
Lots of reasons - play like we did last couple of games last season and the crowds will grow - play this defensive sit back on a one goal lead crap and the floaters with float off
-
mickmike wilson
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5435
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm
- Location: The live music capital of the world, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Buying some leather chaps I heardwhitty1969 wrote:HaHa. I spotted him and a former member of this forum getting an early train to Manchester this morning. Bit of shopping?
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Spot on Paul, trouble is with no one wanting the ball midfield and when it goes in there more often than not it goes back or gets given away, we are forced into aimless punts. We look much better and dangerous when it goes out wide quickly. Howarth again looked bright, Ben vdB looked short of games and will hopefully get sharper/pjdaly wrote:Okay, we won, but nevertheless I feel strongly that we need to log on to http://www.lol.com or, to put it another way, when will we learn our lesson? The lesson being that we should stop sitting back on narrow leads, stop settling for scrambling scrappy wins. We did this nearly all last season, only really coming alive in the last two home matches of the season when we played with verve and character. And we’ve done exactly the same in the first three home matches this season when, if I’m honest, we were fortunate to beat Dover, the Guiseley match could have gone either way and today we could have ended up with a 1-1 draw but for miraculous events at the end. I know I’m grumbling after we have won but I think it’s a poor show when we find ourselves desperately hanging on at home against the bottom side in the league. It’s true that against some teams in this league we might find ourselves getting outplayed and pressed back, even at home, but we certainly need to be taking the fight to the opposition in most of our home matches. There’s a big difference between being pinned back in our own half when our opponents are better than us and sitting back as a strategy, trying to hang onto a 1-0 lead against a bottom-of-the-table side. Let’s see us giving it a right go, let’s see us trying to go forward even when we are winning.
The other pointer arising from today’s match is that there’s a case for MOTM announcements being delayed till the very end. The keeper gets it today for me, as his “worldy” saved us from a draw at the end, just as MOTM was being given out! In a scrappy match that one moment alone was enough to earn him MOTM for me but his much improved coming for, and handling of, crosses (after a nervy few moments in earlier matches) was the stand-out feature of today’s performances.
Been banging on for 3 years that we need a CM that wants and looks comfortable on the ball - until we have that we will continue to play the way we do.
Amazed Livesey isnt get more of a mention, thought once again he was superb, especially in the 1st half when Grandy seemed to be at sixes and sevens, thankfully picked up 2nd half.
Hopefully this will breed abit bit more confidence and we can be a bit more adventurous, but DE needs to decide how we're playing - because at the moment we cant play through midfield with the lads we have in there (and that is not knocking teh effort, just the quality at times).
Will take the 3pts and a few more like that for now, but sooner or later we need to find that verve again!
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Three points are what we needed and three points is what we rightly earned, onward to Halifax Town!!!
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Have to call bull shit on that too, I'm afraid. August bank holiday weekend fixtures traditionally draw lower crowds for almost every team. For example, last year Bristol Rovers had 7,000 for their opening game last season, and were down to 5,300 for the August 30th game. Gateshead had 1,700 for the opener and 1,100 for the 30th, and Wrexham's fell from 4,000 to 3,100 despite them having 10 points at this stage.GTBLUE wrote:Exactly Charlie. We have lost 900, read it again,900 fans from our first home game. I know there was all the hype of the new season, but to lose 900 fans is astonishing. Hope you read the forum Edmo.
There are so many factors (I know a few who were at the races instead), but the fact is that it kind of levels off around now and either builds up if a team does well, or falls gradually over the next few months if they continue to lose. But it's obviously Edmo's fault.
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Let's face reality, imo the crowds are down because we haven't been winning, typical barrow we win people watch we lose they don't bother.
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
That was bloody dreadful as per against one of the worst teams I've seen at this level.
I wish I was out in Manchester than watch that!
#HoofBall
Like tothers said 3 points but hopefully it doesn't paper over the cracks.
I wish I was out in Manchester than watch that!
#HoofBall
Like tothers said 3 points but hopefully it doesn't paper over the cracks.
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Incorrect James! I was wearing a check shirt! 
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
I must add Jason Walker was a disgrace today!! That haircut doesn't deserve a place on any football field anywhere!!!
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8339
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Terrible attendance
Southport will go down so that's one less relegation place to worry about, they were awful
Wingers need to learn to cross instead of shooting
Cooky is the man
Southport will go down so that's one less relegation place to worry about, they were awful
Wingers need to learn to cross instead of shooting
Cooky is the man
- John Very Little
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 4136
- Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:32 am
- Contact:
Re: Barrow v Southport match thread
Shows how bad the game was if we're talking about KHaymans pitiful attireKHayman wrote:Incorrect James! I was wearing a check shirt!
I agree that the MOTM award should be announced after the final whistle as something could happen between it being announced on 85 minutes or whatever minute it was the sponsors decided it and the end of the game as that save by Dixon after the MOTM had been awarded could have made the difference between him winning it and not winning it or more importantly us winning the game or drawing it.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Esso Blue, Windy Pete and 34 guests