Barrow v Tranmere match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
NUFFSAID
Veteran Member
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Manchester/Walney (Ian Gomersall)
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by NUFFSAID » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Still in shock mode- however Cox got it right on the subs front with Walker and Howarth setting up or contributing to our three goals.

Then the ugly side - both walker and Howarth gave away possession too cheaply . I was screaming for Howarth to take it into the corner and waste time instead he tries to pass to walker we lose the ball and they score ......naivety at its best . Still sighing now every time I think about the game.

On the obituary bit , I thought it was lovely that they read out a bit about each person and I was also stood with friends of one of them who didn't take offence at all tbh . Difficult........
Last edited by NUFFSAID on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Bigfathoss wrote:For me, silences should only be held in exception and for those who have played for, or managed, the club in some significant way (ie not Joe Bloggs who was a trialist 28 years ago). No disrespect meant to any who have lost loved ones, but it has long been too much and it dilutes the respect and compassion that was once there on such occasions.
Time to call it a day.
+1

If people are that bothered then go to the funerals, but I bet they don't.

If I die I don't want a false silence or half hearted applause off people I didn't know.
If you like me go to me funeral.
Last edited by boyliegladbach on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11116
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by Jonty » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:49 pm

The initial fume has died down. This showed again that if any team put's a bit of a squeeze on us we fall apart. We were like rabbits in the headlights as soon as it got to 3-2. Credit to Tranmere for fighting for it and getting the win. Never seen anything like that before and still scratching my head. Will give the highlights a swerve.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by Holkerbird » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Bigfathoss wrote:For me, silences should only be held in exception and for those who have played for, or managed, the club in some significant way (ie not Joe Bloggs who was a trialist 28 years ago). No disrespect meant to any who have lost loved ones, but it has long been too much and it dilutes the respect and compassion that was once there on such occasions.
Time to call it a day.
But those who played or managed us wouldn't have the love and dedication to the club that lifetime fans have had and also kept the club going during our darkest times. Most ex-players probably never come back to the club once they have left.
One minute isn't long and in my opinion it doesn't dilute my respect for anyone if they have been a part of the club whether I knew them or not.

K_BFC
Gold Member
Posts: 2071
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: At home in Barrow
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by K_BFC » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 pm

Moribund wrote:But they do stop the watch while they celebrate/reconvene in their own half - see the first goal, where the Tranmere player walked back and the ref indicated that he'd stopped the watch ("it's only your own time you're wasting" etc). So what you're saying is that all the time that the Barrow players were mobbing Cox after going 2-1 up, or chasing Cook down into the corner flag after making it 3-1, the ref just ignored that? Nope. Nearly a minute of celebrating there...
If it was an unreasonable amount added, Cox would have mentioned it. And if Cox mentions it, then he's a fool because it's not a big deal.
All I was asking was where all the extra time came from.

You might not believe this but added time due to any time lost in a game is entirely up to the ref. There is no such rule that you stop the watch for a goal, go read them if you don't believe me, there on the FIFA and FA sites. I studied them inside and out and they have not changed since I then. The FA do provide refs with additional guidance on interpretation, but it doesn't change the basic rules.

If a team time wastes time after scoring a goal a ref can add the time on for celebrations, in fact a ref can technically add time on for any reason that he deems necessary. This often leads those watching a game to question why the ref hasn't blown the whistle after added time has been played. It has been extremely rare at this level that a ref adds on several minutes for time wasting, unless it was chronic time wasting. Even then, with last season as prime example teams were hardly punished at all and certainly not with several minutes. It has been the same this season. Today I don't think anything was different, there was hardly any time wasting worth noting, players just went a bit slower at times but not worth a warning. The celebrations for Barrow's goal might have added something but he certainly didn't get 2+ minutes out of it.

As previously mentioned, celebrations and the penalty incident taking longer than expected are probably where the extra time has come from. Nothing more to be said really. ;)

GTBLUE
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5238
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: WHEN WE HAD A ROOF
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by GTBLUE » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:26 pm

Bigfathoss wrote:For me, silences should only be held in exception and for those who have played for, or managed, the club in some significant way (ie not Joe Bloggs who was a trialist 28 years ago). No disrespect meant to any who have lost loved ones, but it has long been too much and it dilutes the respect and compassion that was once there on such occasions.
Time to call it a day.
You are officially an absolute arse hole.

User avatar
glasgow_blue
Silver Member
Posts: 1385
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 am
Location: The Barra
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by glasgow_blue » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:33 pm

At the end of the day, injury time didn't cost us the game, bad decisions,poor play and naivety cost us + a team who never gave up while we fell apart.
Nil Carborundum Illegitimi

andyg
Gold Member
Posts: 1596
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: Ex expat
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by andyg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm still in shock and I was 100 miles away. I was over the moon when I saw Grand had scored on my phone as I went to Old Trafford. 10 minutes or so later I was devastated to say the least. I was in a foul mood watching the United game. United were terrible but somehow won. Barrow go and totally blow it. No wonder Cox was apoplectic I would be. Hope this is THE wake up call - but I'm not sure this team have the ability particularly at the back and in central midfield. They are professionals - or at least some think they are. They really need to look at themselves very closely over the next few days. (With Uniteds "professionals" I just give up).

Lastly is it true some Barrow fans were on 606?

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:36 pm

andyg wrote:I'm still in shock and I was 100 miles away. I was over the moon when I saw Grand had scored on my phone as I went to Old Trafford. 10 minutes or so later I was devastated to say the least. I was in a foul mood watching the United game. United were terrible but somehow won. Barrow go and totally blow it. No wonder Cox was apoplectic I would be. Hope this is THE wake up call - but I'm not sure this team have the ability particularly at the back and in central midfield. They are professionals - or at least some think they are. They really need to look at themselves very closely over the next few days. (With Uniteds "professionals" I just give up).

Lastly is it true some Barrow fans were on 606?



What the [SwearFilter] were you doing there?
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 pm

tranmere fans running on pitch after last goal whilst our police and stewards watched, they even helped him back over wall.
Meanwhile fans are still getting banned for less.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:49 pm

andyg wrote:I'm still in shock and I was 100 miles away. I was over the moon when I saw Grand had scored on my phone as I went to Old Trafford. 10 minutes or so later I was devastated to say the least. I was in a foul mood watching the United game. United were terrible but somehow won. Barrow go and totally blow it. No wonder Cox was apoplectic I would be. Hope this is THE wake up call - but I'm not sure this team have the ability particularly at the back and in central midfield. They are professionals - or at least some think they are. They really need to look at themselves very closely over the next few days. (With Uniteds "professionals" I just give up).

Lastly is it true some Barrow fans were on 606?
Wind up account

Shakespeare
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by Shakespeare » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:59 pm

I apologise if anyone else has raised this but I haven't read all the posts.

Why were no Tranmere players, particularly the Tranmere goalkeeper, shown a card for their actions before and after the Walker penalty?

User avatar
walney rock
Bronze Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: windy walney
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by walney rock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:39 pm

Twitchy goalkeeper
Unconvincing center backs
Awful fb in Symington
No central midfield
Wingers that don't know when to run the man or play the pass
And poor cookie running his socks off and all he is rewarded with is hopeful long balls that he only a slight chance of winning.
BIG CHANGES NEEDED A.S.A.P
Just my opinion

User avatar
Bombadel
Silver Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by Bombadel » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Yes as mentioned above, why not a yellow for diving as well, as the Tranmere player seemed to be shot by the invisible sniper in the first half? Tranmere goaly was a [SwearFilter]. On a side note seems theres a few united fans on here? someone has posted about the game on the United forum http://www.redcafe.net/threads/barrow-3 ... re.413436/

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Barrow v Tranmere match thread

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 pm

Bombadel wrote:Yes as mentioned above, why not a yellow for diving as well, as the Tranmere player seemed to be shot by the invisible sniper in the first half? Tranmere goaly was a [SwearFilter]. On a side note seems theres a few united fans on here? someone has posted about the game on the United forum http://www.redcafe.net/threads/barrow-3 ... re.413436/
So that's you then

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: steel panther and 22 guests