BAFC updates

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Holkerbird » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:30 am

optomisticsupporter wrote:I believe the reason the lights were put on the back burner was Jamie Reid did not realise you had to put in 6 weeks notice for the road outside to be closed to carry out this work ( source "Elaine")
It was reported at the time about the street closure so it wasn't a secret and to say it was Jamie responsible I have no idea whether it was or not and doubt I would have said it was him. I will be leaving you a message on facebook!!!!
Personally I like the pylons but it probably is a sentimental thing. At some grounds the pole lights don't give off a brilliant light and can cast shadows. They aren't the be all.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:34 am

Ian.
Been mentioned loads of times, ball boys.
Yet again last week loads of time was wasted as Cheltenham keeper walks slowly to corner to retrieve ball ball a goal kick. And Joel Dixon having to sprint to go retrieve balls.
I recall reading about H&S and something else last time this issue was raised.
Every other club seem to manage this issue apart from us.
Sometimes I think they just make excuses as it's easier than doing something about it.

mr_grey
Veteran Member
Posts: 740
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by mr_grey » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:10 am

Officials add the time , it is also deemed as a bookable offence.

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:33 am

mr_grey wrote:Officials add the time , it is also deemed as a bookable offence.

Players rarely get booked for time wasting.
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:00 am

boyliegladbach wrote:Ian.
Been mentioned loads of times, ball boys.
Yet again last week loads of time was wasted as Cheltenham keeper walks slowly to corner to retrieve ball ball a goal kick. And Joel Dixon having to sprint to go retrieve balls.
I recall reading about H&S and something else last time this issue was raised.
Every other club seem to manage this issue apart from us.
Sometimes I think they just make excuses as it's easier than doing something about it.
I know the ball boys/girls were finished under the reason (or excuse, really not sure) of it being a H&S risk years ago, & this keeps getting brought up. I'm pretty sure (quick role switch - Trust now) we were looking at kitting the ball boys/girls out with the Trust logo on the back of the tops, we even had someone lined up to supply them.

I'll definitely ask Al, I suppose the link-up with the Trust would still be available (Rich/Frazer?)
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
barrowfan_chris
Platinum Member
Posts: 3509
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: The Former Republic of Barrovia.
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by barrowfan_chris » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:16 am

Cheers for that link bingo I knew I wasn't making it up

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:51 am

spirit of 1990 wrote:
boyliegladbach wrote:Ian.
Been mentioned loads of times, ball boys.
Yet again last week loads of time was wasted as Cheltenham keeper walks slowly to corner to retrieve ball ball a goal kick. And Joel Dixon having to sprint to go retrieve balls.
I recall reading about H&S and something else last time this issue was raised.
Every other club seem to manage this issue apart from us.
Sometimes I think they just make excuses as it's easier than doing something about it.
I know the ball boys/girls were finished under the reason (or excuse, really not sure) of it being a H&S risk years ago, & this keeps getting brought up. I'm pretty sure (quick role switch - Trust now) we were looking at kitting the ball boys/girls out with the Trust logo on the back of the tops, we even had someone lined up to supply them.

I'll definitely ask Al, I suppose the link-up with the Trust would still be available (Rich/Frazer?)
Just been thinking about this and a few other things came back to me. I think we'd need someone who passes all the criteria for working with young people, then there's the problem of actually getting someone to give up their time on a Saturday afternoon to help run it. I'm pretty sure this is where it all fell down last time it was looked into.

If anyone knows of anyone, that'd be a start and we could look into it further.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
PRR
Gold Member
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by PRR » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:58 am

spirit of 1990 wrote:
spirit of 1990 wrote: I know the ball boys/girls were finished under the reason (or excuse, really not sure) of it being a H&S risk years ago, & this keeps getting brought up. I'm pretty sure (quick role switch - Trust now) we were looking at kitting the ball boys/girls out with the Trust logo on the back of the tops, we even had someone lined up to supply them.

I'll definitely ask Al, I suppose the link-up with the Trust would still be available (Rich/Frazer?)
Just been thinking about this and a few other things came back to me. I think we'd need someone who passes all the criteria for working with young people, then there's the problem of actually getting someone to give up their time on a Saturday afternoon to help run it. I'm pretty sure this is where it all fell down last time it was looked into.

If anyone knows of anyone, that'd be a start and we could look into it further.
How about asking for expressions of interest in the match day programme, announcement before the next home game, official website, social media, nwem etc? Might reach a few more people?
I wanna take you to an Away Bar

HenneysKnee
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by HenneysKnee » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 am

HenneysKnee wrote:Will the new shirts be on sale for the start of summer this year?
Did the board look at how the rugby do shirt launch evenings, player sponsorship evenings and take that on board?
What is the problem with the internet that seems to hold the club back so much? We have BT buisness contracts at work and whenever we have a problem they send people to fix it the next day and they keep coming until it's fixed
Must have been missed first time around

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 am

I suppose the ball boy thing should ultimately be the managers call. He might like the long breaks in play we get.

HenneysKnee
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by HenneysKnee » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:50 am

Was it not to do with health and safety because they might get hit by a ball stood inside the perimeter wall?

User avatar
Steelworks End
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Steelworks End » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:56 am

HenneysKnee wrote:Was it not to do with health and safety because they might get hit by a ball stood inside the perimeter wall?
After the Woking game, perhaps we should abolish linesmen for the same reason? :)

mall
Platinum Member
Posts: 2761
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by mall » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:01 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:Just something I thought might give little insights into some of the things that go on behind the scenes that would show supporters that things are moving, even though some of these aren't always noticeable.
I've spoken with the BoDs and it's been agreed that I can now post various things that might be of interest to us. I suppose this is something that could next season perhaps go on the main site but for now we can see how it goes on here and through Ralph's newsletter.

I wont post on this on any daily/weekly/fortnightly basis, just as & when something has happened that might be worthwhile everyone reading. I'm also happy to take questions back and try and get answers as quickly as possible.

I'll start with a couple of things that have happened in the last week or so.



Last Friday we had a local contractor at the ground to look at various options with the floodlights. It looks like we'll be removing the baskets and placing the actual lights on the remaining structures for the time being. This work will allow the floodlights life to be extended while various longer term options are looked at. The work will also help keep the clubs safety certificate for the coming year. The next safety visit is planned to happen around the end of this season.

Another job that required looking at is the steelwork on the main stand, especially under the roof. The contractor will also be looking at various other areas of the main stands steelwork. The plan for now is to scaffold out under the whole roof, shot blast & spray the H bars & replace the purlings.

All that work is planned to happen at the end of the season although this could depend on the contractors availability.

The architects were (as people know) at the match on Saturday and we had a meeting with them afterwards. The meeting went very well and the club are formally beginning the period of entering into the feasibility study, this should be finished by the end of the season. Other meetings have been scheduled with local officials for mid March.

As I say, I'll try and get answer to most questions, whether that's to do with what I've posted or on any other matters.
Ian,a question to do with the floodlights.
How will the proposed work on the floodlights affect the new pylon with the telephone equipment on it,_will the lamps be moved further down that pylon as well to balance the light spread,if not,it might all look a bit cob.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:16 pm

mall wrote:Ian,a question to do with the floodlights.
How will the proposed work on the floodlights affect the new pylon with the telephone equipment on it,_will the lamps be moved further down that pylon as well to balance the light spread,if not,it might all look a bit cob.
Not really sure about that Mall, I know the contractor doesn't deal directly with the lighting itself & he'll be consulting with companies that specialise in them. I do know that the lux reading for that particular corner is higher than needed though, which is one of the reasons the other areas of the pitch look a bit duller, even though they meet all the lux requirements.

I think another possibility is lighting being attached to the main & Ray Wilkie stands.

Regarding the ball boys/girls someone has expressed an interest and has all the CRB (or DDC as I think it's known now) certificates so if he wants to take on that sort of role I'll take it further & see if something can be set up. I think it'd be great to see them back at Holker St.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
walney rock
Bronze Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: windy walney
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by walney rock » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Maybe mr casson could being some American football padding and helmets for ball boy/girls to wear resolving and health n safety concerns :)
Just my opinion

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stand By Me and 32 guests