Taunton v Barrow match thread
-
saltcellar
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2839
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
Tickets go on sale 10am tomorrow morning in the club shop! Normal match day pricing will apply. IT IS NOT AN ALL TICKET GAME! #EmiratesFACup https://t.co/4r81SgVS5O
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
The town of Taunton was quite strange - a mixture of modern and more older buildings - quite quirky; it had a certain charm but it wasn't as Olde Worldly as I expected. And I've never seen so many Sunday Shoppers before! The town folk themselves were a decent bunch and we had a few good 'craics' in the pubs (at one point bumping into two Fulham fans who were supporting Taunton for the day) + SWBluebird and his partner. The Ale was a lot cheaper than we expected too!
The game was nail-biting stuff - a typical David V Goliath Cup Tie. Very aggressive, very physical. However, nothing in the way of free flowing football. Taunton Town brought us down to their level and should be applauded for that. You can only play as well as the opposition allows you to. I also read on here about the length of the grass which wouldn't have helped matters. However, IF and it's a Big IF - we play as well as we can - we should beat them easily in the replay. IF we allow them to dictate play again - as they did on Sunday - we could come unstuck. I didn't see anything from Taunton that should worry us IF we play our own brand of football. The Peacocks reminded me, at times, of a Sunday League side and at times Barrow played like one too!
The atmosphere was okay but I expected more passion from the home crowd. And the smoke bomb that celebrated their opening goal looked like it had gone past its sell-by date.
The Barrow support was louder and far more passionate. Their goal-keeper appeared to be afraid of standing too close to our fans throughout the second-half.
I made a point about segregation on here before the game - and I haven't changed my views.
To access their Club House Barrow fans had to walk through hundreds of their fans on the terraces and also past hundreds of seated fans at the side of the pitch. We walked to the Club House about 10 mins before half-time and were met with hostility from a few 'Lame Brains' - someone refusing to move after I'd asked him to "Excuse Me"- so I moved him! Some shouting at us to "Get out of the way!" whilst watching Barrow's penalty goal..which was quite bizarre
What did they want us to do - sit on someone's lap?
There were also a group of 'Wannabees' one of whom who punched a Barrow fan. However, when they were confronted with equal numbers- they didn't want to know. The Stewards did a good job calming things down and I believe it led to the assailant being arrested.
So...to the replay.
The BBC presenters on the Match of the Day highlights proclaimed that it will be a 'Roll Up Ya Sleeves' encounter. IF we come down to their level again - it will be - and we could lose out. If WE dictate play - we should win comfortably.
I hope Holker Street is buzzing on the night of the replay - we all know the atmosphere that can be created under the floodlights - and I hope we give our lads some vociferous vocal support. It could unnerve their part-time players. They'll have very little support - contrary to what Taunton Tommy suggests. I would imagine a Mini-Bus, no more. With an average home crowd of 300+ Tommy's assumption of 700 traveling Peacocks is quite staggering. Bless him...
Rock On Tommy!
The game was nail-biting stuff - a typical David V Goliath Cup Tie. Very aggressive, very physical. However, nothing in the way of free flowing football. Taunton Town brought us down to their level and should be applauded for that. You can only play as well as the opposition allows you to. I also read on here about the length of the grass which wouldn't have helped matters. However, IF and it's a Big IF - we play as well as we can - we should beat them easily in the replay. IF we allow them to dictate play again - as they did on Sunday - we could come unstuck. I didn't see anything from Taunton that should worry us IF we play our own brand of football. The Peacocks reminded me, at times, of a Sunday League side and at times Barrow played like one too!
The atmosphere was okay but I expected more passion from the home crowd. And the smoke bomb that celebrated their opening goal looked like it had gone past its sell-by date.
The Barrow support was louder and far more passionate. Their goal-keeper appeared to be afraid of standing too close to our fans throughout the second-half.
I made a point about segregation on here before the game - and I haven't changed my views.
To access their Club House Barrow fans had to walk through hundreds of their fans on the terraces and also past hundreds of seated fans at the side of the pitch. We walked to the Club House about 10 mins before half-time and were met with hostility from a few 'Lame Brains' - someone refusing to move after I'd asked him to "Excuse Me"- so I moved him! Some shouting at us to "Get out of the way!" whilst watching Barrow's penalty goal..which was quite bizarre
So...to the replay.
The BBC presenters on the Match of the Day highlights proclaimed that it will be a 'Roll Up Ya Sleeves' encounter. IF we come down to their level again - it will be - and we could lose out. If WE dictate play - we should win comfortably.
I hope Holker Street is buzzing on the night of the replay - we all know the atmosphere that can be created under the floodlights - and I hope we give our lads some vociferous vocal support. It could unnerve their part-time players. They'll have very little support - contrary to what Taunton Tommy suggests. I would imagine a Mini-Bus, no more. With an average home crowd of 300+ Tommy's assumption of 700 traveling Peacocks is quite staggering. Bless him...
Rock On Tommy!
Last edited by The Tomahawk Kid on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
-
Bingo
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 4100
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
- Location: Failsworth, Manchester
- Contact:
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
212 according to report in evening mailoptomisticsupporter wrote:Does anybody know how many Barrow fans went to Taunton, Barrow were allocated 300 yet Taunton Tommy says 70 attended on here, can't see that being correct, also watched the highlights I hope Barrow appeal Hughes sending off shocking decision.
As for Taunton Tommy I'd say he's more likely to be from Newbarns than Taunton
- 32mile_cul-de-sac
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2443
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 pm
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
great postThe Tomahawk Kid wrote:The town of Taunton was quite strange - a mixture of modern and more older buildings - quite quirky; it had a certain charm but it wasn't as Olde Worldly as I expected. And I've never seen so many Sunday Shoppers before! The town folk themselves were a decent bunch and we had a few good 'craics' in the pubs (at one point bumping into two Fulham fans who were supporting Taunton for the day) + SWBluebird and his partner. The Ale was a lot cheaper than we expected too!![]()
The game was nail-biting stuff - a typical David V Goliath Cup Tie. Very aggressive, very physical. However, nothing in the way of free flowing football. Taunton Town brought us down to their level and should be applauded for that. You can only play as well as the opposition allows you to. I also read on here about the length of the grass which wouldn't have helped matters. However, IF and it's a Big IF - we play as well as we can - we should beat them easily in the replay. IF we allow them to dictate play again - as they did on Sunday - we could come unstuck. I didn't see anything from Taunton that should worry us IF we play our own brand of football. The Peacocks reminded me, at times, of a Sunday League side and at times Barrow played like one too!
The atmosphere was okay but I expected more passion from the home crowd. And the smoke bomb that celebrated their opening goal looked like it had gone past its sell-by date.
The Barrow support was louder and far more passionate. Their goal-keeper appeared to be afraid of standing too close to our fans throughout the second-half.
I made a point about segregation on here before the game - and I haven't changed my views.
To access their Club House Barrow fans had to walk through hundreds of their fans on the terraces and also past hundreds of seated fans at the side of the pitch. We walked to the Club House about 10 mins before half-time and were met with hostility from a few 'Lame Brains' - someone refusing to move after I'd asked him to "Excuse Me"- so I moved him! Some shouting at us to "Get out of the way!" whilst watching Barrow's penalty goal..which was quite bizarreWhat did they want us to do - sit on someone's lap?
There were also a group of 'Wannabees' one of whom who punched a Barrow fan. However, when they were confronted with equal numbers- they didn't want to know. The Stewards did a good job calming things down and I believe it led to the assailant being arrested.
So...to the replay.
The BBC presenters on the Match of the Day highlights proclaimed that it will be a 'Roll Up Ya Sleeves' encounter. IF we come down to their level again - it will be - and we could lose out. If WE dictate play - we should win comfatably.
I hope Holker Street is buzzing on the night of the replay - we all know the atmosphere that can be created under the floodlights - and I hope we give our lads some vociferous vocal support. It could unnerve their part-time players. They'll have very little support - contrary to what Taunton Tommy suggests. I would imagine a Mini-Bus, no more. With an average home crowd of 300+ Tommy's assumption of 700 traveling Peacocks is quite staggering. Bless him...
Rock On Tommy!
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
...though it was rather surprising how few actually did wear smocks and floppy hats while chewing straws.The Tomahawk Kid wrote:The town of Taunton was quite strange - a mixture of modern and more older buildings - quite quirky; it had a certain charm but it wasn't as Olde Worldly as I expected. The town folk themselves were a decent bunch
THE NORTHERN WAY
-
Lancaster Branch
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5509
- Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 pm
- Contact:
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
You heard it here first, folks.Lancaster Branch wrote:Spoke to Hughes on the way out, their lad left a nasty gash on his leg, LH maintains the lad put his head in and feigned that he'd been butted.
-
whitty1969
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2937
- Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
- Contact:
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
Need Turnball back in the centre of midfield to control and run the game......unfortunately ARH will have to make way
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
Taunton Town rested 10 players from Saturdays squad tonight in a local cup match against Odd Down. The score ended 4-4 after extra time in which Taunton were eventually down to eight fit players after using all their subs on the pitch then sustaining injuries, but still won 4-5 on penalties with goalkeeper Lloyd Irish scoring their first from the spot.
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
Some good photos from Sunday's game on Taunton web page. Select article headline Taunton through to 2nd round draw.
There is a couple of links in report for photos. Good one of foul on Dixon for 2 nd goal any where else on the pitch it is a foul, Dixon prepaired to take ball with nick ducking only for keepers arm to be pulled.
All in the past now role on Tuesday night
There is a couple of links in report for photos. Good one of foul on Dixon for 2 nd goal any where else on the pitch it is a foul, Dixon prepaired to take ball with nick ducking only for keepers arm to be pulled.
All in the past now role on Tuesday night
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Taunton v Barrow match thread
Owen Irish is his name, isn't it? I'm sure he'll receive a very warm reception from us all next Tuesday...Lancaster Branch wrote:You heard it here first, folks.Lancaster Branch wrote:Spoke to Hughes on the way out, their lad left a nasty gash on his leg, LH maintains the lad put his head in and feigned that he'd been butted.
They also have a player who used to play for
It keeps getting better...
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Esso Blue and 33 guests