I can see us losing out to Fylde to a number of players.Suffolk Blue wrote: If he were to go, he'd bring just the type of experience that a club like Fylde would need to stiffen their defence in the first year playing at a higher level. I would not want him to go there.
Keep/Move on/Meh
- The Real Slim Azza
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6941
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Apparently, 4 signing for Fylde during the close signing + 1 to Tranmere.
I won't list names - in case it's bol***ks - but I heard it from a good source...
In fact - considering the names that were mentioned - I hope it is bol***ks!
I won't list names - in case it's bol***ks - but I heard it from a good source...
In fact - considering the names that were mentioned - I hope it is bol***ks!
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
-
saltcellar
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2839
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
5 Barrow players?The Tomahawk Kid wrote:Apparently, 4 signing for Fylde during the close signing + 1 to Tranmere.
I won't list names - in case it's bol***ks - but I heard it from a good source...
In fact - considering the names that were mentioned - I hope it is bol***ks!
-
Bingo
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 4100
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
- Location: Failsworth, Manchester
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Here we go !!
- chipmunx
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2290
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 am
- Location: Fortress Holker Street
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
The only players I could think of would be 1) Hannah - who has been linked with them since January - but who is contracted for next season, 2) Beeley - purely because he was at Morecambe and Fleetwood. And possibly Livesey depending what silly money offer they might throw at him. All the other important players here would command a fee as they are on our books for next year - Harrison, Bennett, Williams, Diarra, Anderton.saltcellar wrote:5 Barrow players?The Tomahawk Kid wrote:Apparently, 4 signing for Fylde during the close signing + 1 to Tranmere.
I won't list names - in case it's bol***ks - but I heard it from a good source...
In fact - considering the names that were mentioned - I hope it is bol***ks!
Lancashire;- born and bred
-
barrowscuba
- Member
- Posts: 193
- Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Probably classing loan players as "our" players such as Akil Wright.
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Doesn't the Barrow branch of the Fylde Supporters Club know ?
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
The so called nucleus of Cox's squad seems to be Diarra, Bennett, Williams and Anderton. I'm sure we will have enquiries and potential bids for all of them. I'd be amazed if Fylde were the preferred bidder for any of them given that we know that interest has been expressed at League 1 level. As all 4 are under contract for another year clearly a fee would be required and not a small one. Its not that Fylde could not afford £100k transfer fee but why the hell would they want to blow it on a NL player - they can get a much better pedigree than that for the money. Even if they offered it, the club would be nuts to accept whilst maintaining the illusion of seeking promotion. The close season is all about who we don't sell as much as it is about who we acquire. I'm not saying that there wont be surprises but lets not get carried away with this impression that we are a sitting duck.
I've no doubt that without these contracts in place then we'd be facing the same fate as befell Braintree last season. Having tracked back on Livesey there doesn't appear to be any indication from him that he wants to leave, nor from the club. I would worry about Beeley who I think is excellent and his situation may make him vulnerable. Hannah may be a more obvious target - everyone seems to think that his exit is inevitable. But he is on a two year contract and wont go without a fee. I could also see the likes of Hughes, Parry, Wright, Al Ray etc. finding their way to AFCF if we don't desperately want them - which seems to be the preference of at least some on this forum. However with these I don't see any of them being acquired as anything other than what they really have been at BAFC which is as squad players (with possible apologies to Al Ray who I hope will stay).
No doubt this is one reason why the retained list has not been published yet. Cox appears to have agreed a strategy with Paul Casson however and I guess this would have included a set of guidelines on "players under attack". Time will tell.
I've no doubt that without these contracts in place then we'd be facing the same fate as befell Braintree last season. Having tracked back on Livesey there doesn't appear to be any indication from him that he wants to leave, nor from the club. I would worry about Beeley who I think is excellent and his situation may make him vulnerable. Hannah may be a more obvious target - everyone seems to think that his exit is inevitable. But he is on a two year contract and wont go without a fee. I could also see the likes of Hughes, Parry, Wright, Al Ray etc. finding their way to AFCF if we don't desperately want them - which seems to be the preference of at least some on this forum. However with these I don't see any of them being acquired as anything other than what they really have been at BAFC which is as squad players (with possible apologies to Al Ray who I hope will stay).
No doubt this is one reason why the retained list has not been published yet. Cox appears to have agreed a strategy with Paul Casson however and I guess this would have included a set of guidelines on "players under attack". Time will tell.
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Maybe we shall know a little more of intentions in the next 24 hours.
THE NORTHERN WAY
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Just because Hannah is still in contract doesn't mean we will get a fee for him, or any other player in the same boat.
If those players are surplus to Cox's requirements he will happily let them go for free to utilise their wages on players he wants.
If those players are surplus to Cox's requirements he will happily let them go for free to utilise their wages on players he wants.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Actually EHB you are probably right about Hannah. The value to BAFC of freeing his wage would outweigh any significant fee. So cancellation of the contract by mutual consent would not be a surprise - as long as a club were prepared to pay at least what he's getting at HS. My only hesitation re this is that Ross is now - what - 31? No doubt he is one of the higher paid members of the squad and was purchased as a marquee signing. He's not had a brilliant season - for whatever reason. He might not be as easy to shift as it might first appear.
- The Real Slim Azza
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 6941
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
EHB wrote:Just because Hannah is still in contract doesn't mean we will get a fee for him, or any other player in the same boat.
If those players are surplus to Cox's requirements he will happily let them go for free to utilise their wages on players he wants.
Barrow would only get a fee for a player if someone out there is willing to pay for him. How many paid transfer happen in this league a year?
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST
-
HenneysKnee
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8337
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Bennett ahead of Harrison?Suffolk Blue wrote:The so called nucleus of Cox's squad seems to be Diarra, Bennett, Williams and Anderton.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Keep/Move on/Meh
Sorry HK - Harrison makes five. I knew I'd missed one.
Re Azzas point above, the fee becomes relevant if you don't want to sell. If the only way you can acquire is to pay a fee, then it becomes less likely given alternative options. And as a former member of this forum points out few transfers at this level involve fees these days. So the threat of a fee becomes a defensive strategy particularly against your peer clubs. Probably wouldn't happen in Hannahs case if the club were happy to let him go. But would be a real blocker for the "core" five. If, having told everybody that these five were the "core" of their squad, then to let any of these go without a decent fee the club would, quite rightly, be seen to be weak and ineffective. Hence the logic that if any of them do go it would be to a higher level club capable of paying a decent fee.
The wonderful thing about speculation is that until someone tells you otherwise you can throw up as many potential scenarios as you like. Pity that reality has to intervene.
Re Azzas point above, the fee becomes relevant if you don't want to sell. If the only way you can acquire is to pay a fee, then it becomes less likely given alternative options. And as a former member of this forum points out few transfers at this level involve fees these days. So the threat of a fee becomes a defensive strategy particularly against your peer clubs. Probably wouldn't happen in Hannahs case if the club were happy to let him go. But would be a real blocker for the "core" five. If, having told everybody that these five were the "core" of their squad, then to let any of these go without a decent fee the club would, quite rightly, be seen to be weak and ineffective. Hence the logic that if any of them do go it would be to a higher level club capable of paying a decent fee.
The wonderful thing about speculation is that until someone tells you otherwise you can throw up as many potential scenarios as you like. Pity that reality has to intervene.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests