Ruthers attracted the same criticism at Wrexham last season and many were surprised he was kept on. This season I'm led to believe he has been a comparative revelation - top assists in the National League.
Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Ruthers attracted the same criticism at Wrexham last season and many were surprised he was kept on. This season I'm led to believe he has been a comparative revelation - top assists in the National League.
-
conquistador
- Member
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:55 am
- Contact:
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Wayne Bullimore, never touched the ball with his head but rarely got caught in possession and could hit a lovely pass. Lost his way a bit after the broken leg
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Bully was a football genius. Great left peg.
That team with bully, housh, Lee Warren, scott maxfield, mark salmon, humey etc was one of my favourites.
Humey divided opinion but I loved him always gave his all and chipped in with 10 goals every year, great bonus for a centre back.
Paul Robertson a bit before that might be a good player for this topic.
That team with bully, housh, Lee Warren, scott maxfield, mark salmon, humey etc was one of my favourites.
Humey divided opinion but I loved him always gave his all and chipped in with 10 goals every year, great bonus for a centre back.
Paul Robertson a bit before that might be a good player for this topic.
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Depends what you class as "giving his all". If we're talking about on the pitch alone then you could argue that Hume never shirked anything. However, I would argue that giving your all is about much more than that and Hume did [SwearFilter] all to look after himself to the point where his physical condition was an embarrassment and undoubtedly impacted his performance. He wasn't alone in that squad (Housham for example has subsequently admitted that he let himself down in that respect), and it was very frustrating at the time as man for man that squad was streets ahead of anything else at that level at that time in terms of ability. Sadly though they didn't achieve what they could, and perhaps should've done due to bad attitude from the players themselves and weak management from firstly Kenny Lowe then latterly Lee Turnbull.
Paul Robertson on the other hand is easily one of the most gifted players I've ever seen play for Barrow in terms of sheer raw ability. Used his right foot about as often as Bullimore used his head but his left foot more than made up for it. Scored the best goal I've ever seen from a Barrow player in a win (3-0 I think) over Radcliffe at Holker Street on a Tuesday night. Received a cross field ball out wide and with his first touch cushioned it round one side of the on rushing defender and ran round the other side then hit a sublime curling chip with the outside of his left foot.
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Yeah I remember that goal well, I was on the popular side so possible didn't get the best angle but still and absolutely stunner.
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
I would say so yes. As good strike as that was from Micky Carrol it was a bit of a hit and hope. It just broke to him and he hit it, 9 times out of 10 it'd fly over or be scuffed wide. Robertson created the space for himself and showed technique beyond what any player at that level should by rights possess to execute the finish like he did.
- spirit of 1990
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 9884
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
- Contact:
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Absolute class that goal, they'd be drooling over that on MOTD. It might have been a bit "hit and hope" as Kieran says but they still have to go in.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
I was on the Holker Street wall, just to the side of the goal, and had a perfect view of that Carroll goal. As Kieran said, it was hit and hope (that's why when talking best goals ever I nearly always choose a teamwork goal that is very deliberately sculpted) . . . but what a hit and hope! It was a truly astonishing strike and utterly unforgettable. Watching that clip, and watching as Carroll puts the ball down to take the corner, I muse to myself "this guy doesn't know it yet but in a few seconds time he's going to score the most unbelievable goal of his life and one to be talked about for decades and decades". And what level of gratitude do we owe to the individual who had the wit and good fortune to turn his camera on for those moments. Thanks, mate, whoever you may be! After the goal I can still see, in my mind's eye, Enfield keeper Andy Pape turning to the nets and shaking his head in total disbelief.
As mentioned, that Paul Robertson chip simply oozed class. A mate of mine said "Dennis Bergkamp". Said it all! Quality of the highest order.
To get back to the topic of this thread though, Carroll was a GOOD player but I have to say he gave his best performances in bigger games and could be very average in a lot of games. I suppose most players at our level are inconsistent but I thought Mickey was very inconsistent.
As mentioned, that Paul Robertson chip simply oozed class. A mate of mine said "Dennis Bergkamp". Said it all! Quality of the highest order.
To get back to the topic of this thread though, Carroll was a GOOD player but I have to say he gave his best performances in bigger games and could be very average in a lot of games. I suppose most players at our level are inconsistent but I thought Mickey was very inconsistent.
- Wintergreen
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7480
- Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
- Location: The Blue Planet
- Contact:
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Thirty freakin years back now - tempus fugit.pjdaly wrote: ↑Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm I was on the Holker Street wall, just to the side of the goal, and had a perfect view of that Carroll goal. As Kieran said, it was hit and hope (that's why when talking best goals ever I nearly always choose a teamwork goal that is very deliberately sculpted) . . . but what a hit and hope! It was a truly astonishing strike and utterly unforgettable. Watching that clip, and watching as Carroll puts the ball down to take the corner, I muse to myself "this guy doesn't know it yet but in a few seconds time he's going to score the most unbelievable goal of his life and one to be talked about for decades and decades". And what level of gratitude do we owe to the individual who had the wit and good fortune to turn his camera on for those moments. Thanks, mate, whoever you may be! After the goal I can still see, in my mind's eye, Enfield keeper Andy Pape turning to the nets and shaking his head in total disbelief.
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Dave Storf, Jimmy Mulvaney, Roy McCarthy, Jimmy Mulholland, Fred Else, Harry Thompson, Tony Field, Eric Harrison, Jimmy Mallon - all from our Football League days.
The only player I've seen come close to any of the above - Non-League - Kenny Lowe.
The only player I've seen come close to any of the above - Non-League - Kenny Lowe.
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
-
mickycarrol
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
I knew as soon as I hit it the keeper was struggling, great memories.
"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they dont know the game"
Bill Shankly
Bill Shankly
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Great players. Those were the days for us oldies eh?The Tomahawk Kid wrote: ↑Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 pm Dave Storf, Jimmy Mulvaney, Roy McCarthy, Jimmy Mulholland, Fred Else, Harry Thompson, Tony Field, Eric Harrison, Jimmy Mallon - all from our Football League days.
The only player I've seen come close to any of the above - Non-League - Kenny Lowe.
Seasons to be cheerful.Part 16 3/4 
- walney rock
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 797
- Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 pm
- Location: windy walney
- Contact:
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
Nicky peverill was a pleasure to watch a true natural goal scorer, still don't think we've had a better forward since
Just my opinion
- The Tomahawk Kid
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3386
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm
- Location: Dingly Dell
- Contact:
Re: Good or bad...... players we can all argue about!
I think us oldies had the pleasure of watching the BEST team Barrow AFC ever had - FACT. Those players were my schoolboy heroes too. Never seen any better... maybe, one day, eh? Fingers crossed...ant wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:40 pmGreat players. Those were the days for us oldies eh?The Tomahawk Kid wrote: ↑Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 pm Dave Storf, Jimmy Mulvaney, Roy McCarthy, Jimmy Mulholland, Fred Else, Harry Thompson, Tony Field, Eric Harrison, Jimmy Mallon - all from our Football League days.
The only player I've seen come close to any of the above - Non-League - Kenny Lowe.Roy McCarthy was my childhood hero. Days when wingers McCarthy on right (No 7) & Dave Storf on left(11) had the crowd buzzing with anticipation when ever they got the ball. Oh yea, and shirt numbers back then actually indicated what position players actually played in.
![]()
When we set sail across the seven seas,
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me...
and the Tomahawk Kid
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: blueistheonlycolour, Pedro and 26 guests