Carlisle already know a bit about Tom White as they released him at the end of his two year apprenticeship at Carlisle due to to financial constraints whilst White was recovering from snapping his cruciate ligament.Moribund wrote: ↑Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:01 pmWhat would the Carlisle-based Radio Cumbria presenters know about Platt or White? They won't have seen either of them play. And I doubt Carlisle would send their scouts to watch Blackburn U23s if the players they have their eye on aren't playing.SKIPPER wrote: ↑Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:15 pm
Of course I realise he's playing for us but it would be naive to think that him and/or White wouldn't come up in any conversations/negotiations. Wouldn't be surprised either if our friends at RC (North) haven't dropped a word in the managers' ear re capabilities.
White could feasibly be a target because he was wanted by them in the summer - but that would have nothing to do with any of the above.
January ins and outs
-
Main Stand SeasonTct
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3248
- Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
Re: January ins and outs
Why are we worrying about Carlisle? There must be quite a few better clubs with better prospects who are interested in our best players.
-
Hitthebar22
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
Can't say it would be a total disaster if Platt leaves in Jan, but will be very very significant and a big step backwards. As I see it he changed the season in that the disastrous start (losing 6 out of 9) suddenly halted, and immediately he got us tight at the back. He made Hird a much better player by giving him time, irrespective of his own ability on the ball and as a stopper.
-
olbarrafancumbak
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2489
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
From a good source, platt is very very unlikely to be recalled by rovers or even moved on.
Apparently and don't hold me to this, he is quite far down in any pecking order and before he came to us was farmed out to a couple of other clubs and hardly got game time.
He is in a place now where he is growing in and amongst a great team learning and is quite possibly going to end up a permanent player for us.
If this is correct it would be fantastic news!!
My father in law played for rovers youth set up many many moons ago and that's where my info came from..
Let's see what happens
Apparently and don't hold me to this, he is quite far down in any pecking order and before he came to us was farmed out to a couple of other clubs and hardly got game time.
He is in a place now where he is growing in and amongst a great team learning and is quite possibly going to end up a permanent player for us.
If this is correct it would be fantastic news!!
My father in law played for rovers youth set up many many moons ago and that's where my info came from..
Let's see what happens
- chipmunx
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2290
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 am
- Location: Fortress Holker Street
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
I was surprised when Blackburn let us sign Hardcastle, I'd be even more surprised if they let us sign Platt..... but I like nice surprises....
Lancashire;- born and bred
- Steeley
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5750
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm
- Location: Manchester
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
People always seem concerned Carlisle will pick up our players, when was the last time they took anyone from us?
Bish=God
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
Whilst I agree with the comments re Platts importance, lets not get to carried away just yet. Our next four league games - and I assume Platt would feature in each of them - will clearly demonstrate if we are still serious championship contenders or merely play-off hopefuls. If we get trashed by Solihull, Hartlepool and/or Fylde then what seems desperately critical at this moment may seem less so then.
Nothing will probably happen with Platt until it becomes clear he has not sustained some serious injury closer to his planned exit date. If that were to happen we'd probably be the ones saying bye-bye. I'm sure we dont want that and I'm not expecting that we'll get trashed over the festive period. But lets take a game at a time.
As for Carlisle I'm sure they'll be in the market for anything cheap that looks half decent. They've been much debated before and like many other clubs in their position their over-riding strategy each season is to survive. Even with Morecombe looking like this seasons League 2 fall guys and even with a new manager, Carlisle are finding anything other than maintaining a presence in the division almost impossible. They are not playing a great brand of football either and its fair to say that the quality of our football for the last few months has probably been superior to their own. I'm not sure that in Platts case money comes into it much and if it were an issue for Blackburn there are many other clubs who I'd send him to before I got to Carlisle on the list.
Nothing will probably happen with Platt until it becomes clear he has not sustained some serious injury closer to his planned exit date. If that were to happen we'd probably be the ones saying bye-bye. I'm sure we dont want that and I'm not expecting that we'll get trashed over the festive period. But lets take a game at a time.
As for Carlisle I'm sure they'll be in the market for anything cheap that looks half decent. They've been much debated before and like many other clubs in their position their over-riding strategy each season is to survive. Even with Morecombe looking like this seasons League 2 fall guys and even with a new manager, Carlisle are finding anything other than maintaining a presence in the division almost impossible. They are not playing a great brand of football either and its fair to say that the quality of our football for the last few months has probably been superior to their own. I'm not sure that in Platts case money comes into it much and if it were an issue for Blackburn there are many other clubs who I'd send him to before I got to Carlisle on the list.
Re: January ins and outs
Me neither. I wrote this did not work for Tyler Smith last season. It was indeed far from being a failure but perhaps did not achieve all that was hoped for his development. There's a reason he is not at Doncaster this season.Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:51 pmEr… I'm not sure where the "not working for Tyler Smith" comes from. His next stay at Doncaster was far from being a failure.Hadrian wrote: ↑Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 pm Heart says a League One club might be the logical next step for Matt Platt but head says this did not work for Tyler Smith last season; a League Two club, albeit struggling, might be able to 'guarantee' regular first team appearances from January.
Staying at Barrow and fighting for the Championship in a difficult league as part of a setup that appears to be well-thought-out in terms of player development might be as attractive a player-development for Rovers as it appears to be for the player, with a possible League One move in the summer.
Apparently no doubt about this season's loan, thanks.Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:51 pmIf you're still in doubt take a look at yesterdays highlights between Ipswich and Bristol Rovers. First Rovers goal scored by one Tyler Smith. Bristol Rovers are a League One club I believe. We are partly responsible for that.
THE NORTHERN WAY
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
Misread the point you were making I think Hadrian. ApologiesHadrian wrote: ↑Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:24 pmMe neither. I wrote this did not work for Tyler Smith last season. It was indeed far from being a failure but perhaps did not achieve all that was hoped for his development. There's a reason he is not at Doncaster this season.Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:51 pm
Er… I'm not sure where the "not working for Tyler Smith" comes from. His next stay at Doncaster was far from being a failure.
Apparently no doubt about this season's loan, thanks.Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:51 pmIf you're still in doubt take a look at yesterdays highlights between Ipswich and Bristol Rovers. First Rovers goal scored by one Tyler Smith. Bristol Rovers are a League One club I believe. We are partly responsible for that.
- chipmunx
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2290
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 am
- Location: Fortress Holker Street
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
I didn't hear Evatt's interview after the Atherton game but others have said it's likely some of the players last night won't be around after January as Evatt looks to strengthen. Listening to the game Harrison has got to be one of those - he hardly seamed to be mentioned in commentary in a game he should have stood out in.
Lancashire;- born and bred
Re: January ins and outs
Can't see Harrison leaving - who would want a striker that's barely scored in two years? We'd either have to pay up his contract or just about give him away on loan to some lower league club and pay his wages.chipmunx wrote: ↑Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:50 am I didn't hear Evatt's interview after the Atherton game but others have said it's likely some of the players last night won't be around after January as Evatt looks to strengthen. Listening to the game Harrison has got to be one of those - he hardly seamed to be mentioned in commentary in a game he should have stood out in.
Waddington has looked well below this standard whenever I've seen him, so I'd expect him to be farmed out.
-
russell_anderson
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2881
- Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
- Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
Other than loans, all the fringe players are contracted until the end of the 19/20 season except Simpson who is non-contract and Penfold until the end of 20/21. I guess it would be down to whether a player would want to move in order to play more or whether he would be happier to sit around without playing. I would think we would have to lose the wages of players leaving in order to bring other in so who of the fringe players would leave would depend on how keen they were to get match time.Moribund wrote: ↑Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 amCan't see Harrison leaving - who would want a striker that's barely scored in two years? We'd either have to pay up his contract or just about give him away on loan to some lower league club and pay his wages.chipmunx wrote: ↑Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:50 am I didn't hear Evatt's interview after the Atherton game but others have said it's likely some of the players last night won't be around after January as Evatt looks to strengthen. Listening to the game Harrison has got to be one of those - he hardly seamed to be mentioned in commentary in a game he should have stood out in.
Waddington has looked well below this standard whenever I've seen him, so I'd expect him to be farmed out.
Last edited by russell_anderson on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- chipmunx
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2290
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 am
- Location: Fortress Holker Street
- Contact:
Re: January ins and outs
I can see Elsden maybe going back to Whitby for the rest of the season.
Greaves going back to Sheff Utd purely because of lack of game time and Waddington going out on loan.
nothing before the Trophy replay though.
Harrison is just very frustrating to watch - I know it was a bobbly pitch put he needs to get a goal from somewhere.
Greaves going back to Sheff Utd purely because of lack of game time and Waddington going out on loan.
nothing before the Trophy replay though.
Harrison is just very frustrating to watch - I know it was a bobbly pitch put he needs to get a goal from somewhere.
Lancashire;- born and bred
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bluebirds Trust, Munt68 and 26 guests