Yes and this forum has some opinions!Barra Marra wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm Some people just don't want to tempt fate by saying it, others are perpetually optimistic. Doesn't mean anyone's wrong and we all want the same end result at the end of the season. We'll all (hopefully) be there on the last day regardless.
Opinions are like ars£h0les. Everyone's got one![]()
Dover v BARROW match thread
-
Sefton Aubergine
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 638
- Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:04 am
- Contact:
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
The dream will become the reality in no time.HenneysKnee wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pm Christ I hope the players aren’t as tense as the majority of posters on here are getting as the dream gets closer
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
How rudeSefton Aubergine wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pmYes and this forum has some opinions!Barra Marra wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm Some people just don't want to tempt fate by saying it, others are perpetually optimistic. Doesn't mean anyone's wrong and we all want the same end result at the end of the season. We'll all (hopefully) be there on the last day regardless.
Opinions are like ars£h0les. Everyone's got one![]()
-
mulholland
- Senior Member
- Posts: 460
- Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:22 pm
- Location: behind the dugouts
- Contact:
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
I'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.
-
Sefton Aubergine
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 638
- Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:04 am
- Contact:
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
Not a moan mate, it's an observation, as is the tone of this whole thread. The only moaning and in some cases aggression is from folk moaning about non existent moaning!mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pmI'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
And you've joined inSefton Aubergine wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:07 pmNot a moan mate, it's an observation, as is the tone of this whole thread. The only moaning and in some cases aggression is from folk moaning about non existent moaning!mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pm
I'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
I can accept this.mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pmI'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
Evo has always said he wants his teams to be brave in possession and comfortable with the ball and I can understand why we have tried to keep it and burn down the clock at 1-1. We weren’t chasing the game so whilst looking for a last chance of our own. It’s being alert that the opposition are still looking for a winner. We got caught out with it.
Last time we got beat in the league we went on a great run. I have every confidence that we are capable of going on a similar run now and getting this over the line.
Last time we got beat in the league we went on a great run. I have every confidence that we are capable of going on a similar run now and getting this over the line.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
-
russell_anderson
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2881
- Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
- Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
- Contact:
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
I wasn't at Solihull but was at the away matches before and after (Boreham Wood and Dover) and in both those games it was patently obvious that teams have been looking closely at the way we play and instead of their attacking players dropping off and giving our defenders time on the ball which they were definitely doing in the games I saw earlier in the season, they are now playing much higher and putting pressure on the ball as soon as Joel Dixon rolls it out to a defender. I love the way we play but, I agree, that there are some times when it might be more prudent to be a little bit safer. However, I was sitting in a stand of mostly Dover supporters and, even though they were all jumping for joy when they got the winning goal, there were times during the second half when I heard people expressing the opinion that we were giving them a football lesson and that the game should have been over. At the end of the game although they were obviously delighted to have won I overheard a couple of them saying they could see why Barrow were at the top of the league.mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pmI'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.
Last edited by russell_anderson on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Barra Marra
- Bronze Member
- Posts: 780
- Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 pm
- Contact:
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
Torquay were also pressing us high up the pitch. Matt Platt is brilliant at making a mug of the pressing striker but jesus, it makes the heart skip when he does itrussell_anderson wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:46 pmI wasn't at Solihull but was at the away matches before and after (Boreham Wood and Dover) and in both those games it was patently obvious that teams have been looking closely at the way we play and instead of their attacking players dropping off and giving our defenders time on the ball which they were definitely doing in the games I saw earlier in the season, they are now playing much higher and putting pressure on the ball as soon as Joel Dixon rolls it out to a defender. I love the way we play but, I agree, that there are some times when it might be more prudent to be a little bit safer. However, I was sitting in a stand of mostly Dover supporters and, even though they were all jumping for joy when they got the winning goal, there were times during the second half when I heard people expressing the opinion that we were giving them a football lesson and that the game should have been over. At the end of the game although they were obviously delighted to have won I overheard a couple of them saying they could see why Barrow were at the top of the league.mulholland wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pm
I'll have a moan: I wasn't there last night but went to Solihull. It sounded like Dover's winning goal came from pi**ing about with the ball at the back. It nearly cost us dear at Solihull as well when late on from a throw-in, which are traditionally thrown down the line and away from goal in the latter stages of the game, the ball somehow ended up back with Dixon who wasn't asking for it or in a good position to receive it and we very nearly ended up a goal down. We got away with that one.
Sometimes, and I do appreciate the football we play, it is all about fine margins and we shouldn't be afraid to launch it.
IMO like.
We hate Carlisle United, we hate Workington too (and Morecambe), we hate Accrington Stanley but Barrow we love you 
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
I'd say the thing to guard against now is a downward spiral of confidence and performance. To this end , while I'm certain that the manager, staff and players will be working hard to resolve this issue , it is important that we , as supporters , re-double our support for the club and make sure we get as many bodies and voices as possible behind the 'big push' coming over the next weeks. If we all pull in the same direction it will help.
Added to this I re-iterate what I suggested last week ... maybe it's time to try to add one or more quality loan signings if we can to avoid the impact of 'exhaustion' and help to ensure we have adequate cover for any 'injuries, viruses and suspensions' the squad may get. In addition they could help to help boost competition and give an added spur to the squad as we move onwards and upwards ( a touch of Semper Sursum ! )
I've just been reading what Slaven Bilic and Jake Livermore at West Brom said today about the addition of Callum Robinson on loan - "We all need that little lift, added competition and diversity that new faces bring to the club. We’ve got different options now and it gives us confidence.” . Devante Rodney now on loan at Halifax has had a similar initial impact.
Stick with it guys we can make it .
Added to this I re-iterate what I suggested last week ... maybe it's time to try to add one or more quality loan signings if we can to avoid the impact of 'exhaustion' and help to ensure we have adequate cover for any 'injuries, viruses and suspensions' the squad may get. In addition they could help to help boost competition and give an added spur to the squad as we move onwards and upwards ( a touch of Semper Sursum ! )
I've just been reading what Slaven Bilic and Jake Livermore at West Brom said today about the addition of Callum Robinson on loan - "We all need that little lift, added competition and diversity that new faces bring to the club. We’ve got different options now and it gives us confidence.” . Devante Rodney now on loan at Halifax has had a similar initial impact.
Stick with it guys we can make it .
Last edited by kikka on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First match : Barrow v Northampton Town : Sat. 24th Sept. 1960 ... won 1-0... ( which was nice )
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
I am not concerned about confidence / performance in the slightest and neither will the team be. We have so many players in the side who can deliver the “big chance pass”. This is why we are top scorers. At the other end, last night was one of those games and there should be absolutely no doubting us.
We don’t need any additions.
We don’t need any additions.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
We go again, rise to the challenges ahead, simple as!
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
Sounds like we missed enough chances to win 3 games last night - no need to panic, jeez its one game in 3 months!!
-
Barrowabc
- Gold Member
- Posts: 2203
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:14 am
- Location: Newbarns lodge
- Contact:
Re: Dover v BARROW match thread
I am starting to really like your posts, as my thinking also, keep it up and I like honest xBarra Marra wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm Some people just don't want to tempt fate by saying it, others are perpetually optimistic. Doesn't mean anyone's wrong and we all want the same end result at the end of the season. We'll all (hopefully) be there on the last day regardless.
Opinions are like ars£h0les. Everyone's got one![]()
Love many, trust afew, but always paddle your own canoe ! My spelling is gash
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests