That's presumably why they're letting the clubs decide - if promotion and relegation is voted for, surely BPA wouldn't have a leg to stand on?
Decisions being made
Re: Decisions being made
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Thanks Adam I knew there'd be a catch. So South Shields cant go up but BPA and Blyth can go down. What an utter mess.
As a matter of interest do you know whether there are any rules governing how the NLN/NLS cast their votes? If there were four options for example could they give one vote to each option. Is that within their discretion?
As for BPA then I doubt whether the fact that they have participated in some form of voting process would deter them from challenging a decision involving relegation without any consequent promotion. Their argument would be that it runs counter to the fundamental principles of the Football pyramid. The FA could also find itself in court as it "owns" or at least approves the structure of the Pyramid system but it also finds itself having voided the season at that level. That is of course if anybody can afford a brief.
- Adam29
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7290
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm
- Location: Barrow-in-Furness
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
I know as much as any supporter - I find things out by reading them online or in a paper
Only time I’ll find out anything about the vote is likely to be when a decision is made
Only time I’ll find out anything about the vote is likely to be when a decision is made
-
Hitthebar22
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Any litigation surrounding the current mess (which actually is no ones fault) would be pointless.
It takes months/years to get cases to court, irrespective of ancillaries like massive cost.
Amongst a host of other things, what league do you play in while waiting for your case to be listed?
Seems to me that everyone will have to just take it on the chin when our governing bodies have their say. Pray for integrity, "doing the right thing", and no vested interests.
We could very much be on the receiving end of a null and void season if that is how the decision goes. That said, for us there is always the Bury factor, and for what it is worth I believe if we are not promoted in the quasi conventional sense, we will be invited to join L2.
Whether clubs survive financially (can't exclude us) to form a league as we know it is another question.
With that in mind - there will be no football involving spectators until 2021 at the earliest without a vaccine or a treatment. That has to make perfect sense. It must be a no brainer. Have to say having been a committed supporter for years, I wouldn't want to be in any ground in very close proximity to others unless I was assured the risk of contracting Covid- 19 had gone. That means however enthusiastic I am about Barrow I won't go to Holker Street again until I am told it is safe.
It takes months/years to get cases to court, irrespective of ancillaries like massive cost.
Amongst a host of other things, what league do you play in while waiting for your case to be listed?
Seems to me that everyone will have to just take it on the chin when our governing bodies have their say. Pray for integrity, "doing the right thing", and no vested interests.
We could very much be on the receiving end of a null and void season if that is how the decision goes. That said, for us there is always the Bury factor, and for what it is worth I believe if we are not promoted in the quasi conventional sense, we will be invited to join L2.
Whether clubs survive financially (can't exclude us) to form a league as we know it is another question.
With that in mind - there will be no football involving spectators until 2021 at the earliest without a vaccine or a treatment. That has to make perfect sense. It must be a no brainer. Have to say having been a committed supporter for years, I wouldn't want to be in any ground in very close proximity to others unless I was assured the risk of contracting Covid- 19 had gone. That means however enthusiastic I am about Barrow I won't go to Holker Street again until I am told it is safe.
Re: Decisions being made
I don' t think one will ever be "safe". Covid-19 will always be around, so it will be the same as the risk from flu, common cold, etc. Even vaccinations don't guarantee 100% safety and unless you are over 60 or at risk you won't get one anyway.Hitthebar22 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:43 am I wouldn't want to be in any ground in very close proximity to others unless I was assured the risk of contracting Covid- 19 had gone. That means however enthusiastic I am about Barrow I won't go to Holker Street again until I am told it is safe.
-
Hitthebar22
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Thank you Jim. Agreed. Covid - 19 will be around for ever, but eventually it will be treatable like colds and flu are, and the risk of the effects of catching it are massively reduced. I am over 60 (by a fair chunk) - what I mean by safe is not at risk of dying from it in the unpleasant way that currently exists. I can't wait to go back to HS, and I'm missing it. Hopefully when I do it will be L2. Currently no one in their right minds would stand or sit in close proximity to others as happens at a football ground for the foreseeable future. There's an outside chance some footy might start up again somewhere in a few months time, but there won't be any spectators present.Jim wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 amI don' t think one will ever be "safe". Covid-19 will always be around, so it will be the same as the risk from flu, common cold, etc. Even vaccinations don't guarantee 100% safety and unless you are over 60 or at risk you won't get one anyway.Hitthebar22 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:43 am I wouldn't want to be in any ground in very close proximity to others unless I was assured the risk of contracting Covid- 19 had gone. That means however enthusiastic I am about Barrow I won't go to Holker Street again until I am told it is safe.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
At some point each of us will need to decide when we feel "safe enough". For many that probably wont even be the day someone stands outside No 10 Downing Street urging us rise up and to reignite our economy, should that ever happen. There will probably be a new "normal" the substance of which, society will shape as much as politicians, or doctors or economists. Only when we are comfortable with what those new norms are, will we be able to feel safe enough. Feels like that is way off for many of us. Though if you are 20-30 and not 60 it might feel a little closer.Jim wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 amI don' t think one will ever be "safe". Covid-19 will always be around, so it will be the same as the risk from flu, common cold, etc. Even vaccinations don't guarantee 100% safety and unless you are over 60 or at risk you won't get one anyway.Hitthebar22 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:43 am I wouldn't want to be in any ground in very close proximity to others unless I was assured the risk of contracting Covid- 19 had gone. That means however enthusiastic I am about Barrow I won't go to Holker Street again until I am told it is safe.
I do think that finding ways of getting 22 fit and healthy men in their prime onto a football pitch will prove a lot easier than convincing a crowd of 2000+ people that they are safe in watching them play. Find a way of overcoming this and football probably becomes viable again.
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7135
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
I can see where you're coming from but I think most people would go back to watching football you could easy take precautions I'm unfortunately over sixty but I wouldn't hesitate to get back to holker street I firmly believe that come September/ October things will be a lot better!
-
boyliegladbach
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8720
- Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
- Location: Tel aviv
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
The Bundesliga have come up with a proposal on how to stage games, this still has to be approved by government,PerthBluebird wrote: ↑Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:36 pmGarbage germany back playing again in may our lot meeting next week for sport that can resumeHitthebar22 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:52 pm
There's no chance of any football.
We are about a year off a vaccine, and we are told the virus is likely to peaK again in the autumn.
The government won't allow large gatherings of spectators for well into 2021.
Have you seen it? Why should a footballer recieve 2 tests a week,
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Reality Nige will probably be somewhere between the two positions. There will be some trade-offs between absolute levels of safety and acceptable risk. There is in most decisions in life we make but we have well developed framework for making them and do so instantaneously and almost subconsciously. With Covid we dont.
I would not feel happy simply slipping back into a crowd at HS right now, but with some constraints and sensible precautions that might change. When the time comes (hopefully it does) everyone will have to make that decision individually.
I would not feel happy simply slipping back into a crowd at HS right now, but with some constraints and sensible precautions that might change. When the time comes (hopefully it does) everyone will have to make that decision individually.
-
Suffolk Blue
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 3807
- Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
My guess would be that the virus has a minimum incubation period of less than a week (before you would become infectious), So if you only tested at the beginning of every week you could have contracted the virus before you play again if the next game is a week ahead even if you had previously tested negative.boyliegladbach wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:58 am
The Bundesliga have come up with a proposal on how to stage games, this still has to be approved by government,
Have you seen it? Why should a footballer recieve 2 tests a week,
-
boyliegladbach
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8720
- Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
- Location: Tel aviv
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
I'm aware of that, but what makes a footballer so special, if key workers like teachers don't get such privileges then why should a footballer.Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:12 amMy guess would be that the virus has a minimum incubation period of less than a week (before you would become infectious), So if you only tested at the beginning of every week you could have contracted the virus before you play again if the next game is a week ahead even if you had previously tested negative.boyliegladbach wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:58 am
The Bundesliga have come up with a proposal on how to stage games, this still has to be approved by government,
Have you seen it? Why should a footballer recieve 2 tests a week,
Football should be bottom of list of priorities
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7135
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Totally agree we could/ should have masks gloves etc available by then also medicines to help ,we're talking 5 months off I'm certain with everything that's being thrown at this (coved 19) they'll be some sort of solution if not it's not just football we should be worrying about!Suffolk Blue wrote: ↑Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:08 am Reality Nige will probably be somewhere between the two positions. There will be some trade-offs between absolute levels of safety and acceptable risk. There is in most decisions in life we make but we have well developed framework for making them and do so instantaneously and almost subconsciously. With Covid we dont.
I would not feel happy simply slipping back into a crowd at HS right now, but with some constraints and sensible precautions that might change. When the time comes (hopefully it does) everyone will have to make that decision individually.
-
Hitthebar22
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
Don't want to be pessimistic, only realistic, because the stakes are so high. Mass gatherings e.g. football matches with spectators will be the last things allowed. The government won't allow it to happen, won't be a question of an individual spectator taking a risk. Would be reckless to do it anyway.
From 4 days ago ...."Social distancing measures could remain in place until the end of the year without a vaccine for coronavirus, England’s chief medical officer has said.
Professor Chris Whitty told the daily Downing Street press conference that some restrictions would need to remain as the probability of having a vaccine or effective drugs to treat the virus within the next calendar year was “incredibly small”.
A sudden easing of restrictions would be a “wholly unreasonable” expectation, Prof Whitty warned, saying the path out of the lockdown must be carefully plotted to prevent the virus from spreading again and overwhelming the NHS.
He also said the public should not expect to see the number of deaths from coronavirus “fall away” suddenly."
From 4 days ago ...."Social distancing measures could remain in place until the end of the year without a vaccine for coronavirus, England’s chief medical officer has said.
Professor Chris Whitty told the daily Downing Street press conference that some restrictions would need to remain as the probability of having a vaccine or effective drugs to treat the virus within the next calendar year was “incredibly small”.
A sudden easing of restrictions would be a “wholly unreasonable” expectation, Prof Whitty warned, saying the path out of the lockdown must be carefully plotted to prevent the virus from spreading again and overwhelming the NHS.
He also said the public should not expect to see the number of deaths from coronavirus “fall away” suddenly."
-
russell_anderson
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2881
- Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
- Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
- Contact:
Re: Decisions being made
I've just reached 75 and I wouldn't dream of going to a live football match until they come up with a vaccine or something that reduces the effects when you catch the virus and that is irrespective of whether the Government tells me it is safe to go out or not. The Government (and many other European Governments) will certainly ease restrictions before they should purely based on avoiding a complete economic meltdown but, as they've already made a total mess of having enough PPE equipment, having enough tests available, ignoring people in Care Homes and starting the social distancing too late I won't have much confidence in their ability to judge when to ease restrictions. Hopefully they'll get that one right! Maybe if they followed Germany and South Korea instead of France, Italy and Spain they'd be nearer getting something that reduces the number of deaths we've had and will have.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests