Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Bottleofsass
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by Bottleofsass » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am

Kieran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:31 am I'm not disappointed, but neither am I delighted. What are people seeing to think this is such a fantastic appointment? Also, what are people seeing in that interview that is so impressive?

I don't get it. He's got what, a year/18 months as manager of Grimsby on his record and not much else apart from coaching in academies etc. He's given a run of the mill off the shelf interview for when a new man comes into a club. I'm not against the appointment, I just don't understand why some are lauding it in the way they are. If I'm missing something, please tell me because I really don't understand.

Of course, I'll be delighted if he turns out to be fantastic and I'm certainly happier with it than I was when Dunn was appointed but it's very much wait and see as far as I can tell.
100% agree.

Matty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5373
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by Matty » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 am

Kieran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:31 am I'm not disappointed, but neither am I delighted. What are people seeing to think this is such a fantastic appointment? Also, what are people seeing in that interview that is so impressive?

I don't get it. He's got what, a year/18 months as manager of Grimsby on his record and not much else apart from coaching in academies etc. He's given a run of the mill off the shelf interview for when a new man comes into a club. I'm not against the appointment, I just don't understand why some are lauding it in the way they are. If I'm missing something, please tell me because I really don't understand.

Of course, I'll be delighted if he turns out to be fantastic and I'm certainly happier with it than I was when Dunn was appointed but it's very much wait and see as far as I can tell.
Didn't you say when Dunn was appointed that he didn't give you any confidence by what he said in interviews?
Popular side since '03.

bigmac95
Bronze Member
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:06 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by bigmac95 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:53 am

Bottleofsass wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am
Kieran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:31 am I'm not disappointed, but neither am I delighted. What are people seeing to think this is such a fantastic appointment? Also, what are people seeing in that interview that is so impressive?

I don't get it. He's got what, a year/18 months as manager of Grimsby on his record and not much else apart from coaching in academies etc. He's given a run of the mill off the shelf interview for when a new man comes into a club. I'm not against the appointment, I just don't understand why some are lauding it in the way they are. If I'm missing something, please tell me because I really don't understand.

Of course, I'll be delighted if he turns out to be fantastic and I'm certainly happier with it than I was when Dunn was appointed but it's very much wait and see as far as I can tell.
100% agree.
+2
And on the 7th day god created football

61+Reason
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by 61+Reason » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:59 am

+3

grammaroldboy
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 am
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by grammaroldboy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:16 pm

+4

Moribund
Platinum Member
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by Moribund » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 pm

Here are all the people that wanted Cowley or Graham Alexander.

liverpoolann
Bronze Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by liverpoolann » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:40 pm

+5

bigmac95
Bronze Member
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:06 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by bigmac95 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Moribund wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 pm Here are all the people that wanted Cowley or Graham Alexander.
Not it at all, just cautious optimism rather than falling head over heels for a bloke who probably couldn't point to barrow on a map last week.
And on the 7th day god created football

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by russell_anderson » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Kieran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:31 am I'm not disappointed, but neither am I delighted. What are people seeing to think this is such a fantastic appointment? Also, what are people seeing in that interview that is so impressive?

I don't get it. He's got what, a year/18 months as manager of Grimsby on his record and not much else apart from coaching in academies etc. He's given a run of the mill off the shelf interview for when a new man comes into a club. I'm not against the appointment, I just don't understand why some are lauding it in the way they are. If I'm missing something, please tell me because I really don't understand.

Of course, I'll be delighted if he turns out to be fantastic and I'm certainly happier with it than I was when Dunn was appointed but it's very much wait and see as far as I can tell.
Exactly my feelings. They all say most of the same things when they get appointed i.e. great board of directors, plenty of potential in the playing staff, wondeful supporters, well run club etc. If I remember correctly even David Dunn said pretty much the same although the potential quickly changed to "little Barrow" after a few defeats. Of the realistic names I saw bandied around on here I would have been relatively happy with Hurst, Flitcroft, Alexander McGreal or Jolley but whether any of them would be successful is pretty much a guess just as it was when Evatt was appointed. I'll have more of an opinion of him when he starts selecting the team from what he has now and an even better idea if and when he brings in players in the transfer window. If he brings in 2 decent midfield players who can get around the pitch then that will tell me he knows what he's doing. If he doesn't then I'll be very worried.

grammaroldboy
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 am
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by grammaroldboy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:35 pm

Moribund wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 pm Here are all the people that wanted Cowley or Graham Alexander.
Definitely not....just that some people seem to be getting a bit carried away, as if he's some kind of messiah!
Let's just wait and see and hope he can turn it round.

Matty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5373
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by Matty » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Moribund wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 pm Here are all the people that wanted Cowley or Graham Alexander.
Yep. Jolley was one of the more appealing options of those that were ever on the bookies list. Comments from Grimsby fans are 99% positive.
Popular side since '03.

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11129
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by Jonty » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:08 pm

I don't think anybody is getting too carried away. Cautious optimism I’d say. All the names mentioned over the last week or so have had good and not so good spells at clubs. Jolley appears to tick the right boxes for us and from his first interviews and clips Ive seen he comes across as a confident speaker and someone who will set a high bar for himself and the team. Welcome to Barrow!
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Kieran
Gold Member
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by Kieran » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Matty wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 am

Didn't you say when Dunn was appointed that he didn't give you any confidence by what he said in interviews?

Yes I did, but I'm not sure of the point you are making.

Jolley spoke better than Dunn did when he first got the job no question, and that wouldn't have been too difficult. But I am just not seeing anything in that interview worthy of labelling it "very very impressive" or any of the other superlatives I've seen used to describe it. It was a fairly stock new manager interview, not bad not outstanding.

Would I have chosen someone like Flitcroft or Alexander over him? Possibly yes, but I'm not sure without having been in the position that the board were in speaking to and interviewing the potential candidates. As I say, I'm not disappointed in the decision at all but I do think some are getting way too carried away. When you look at the cold hard facts it is clear that he is relatively unproven, so I'm just not sure what it is that people are seeing to be hailing it as a fantastic appointment.

bluessupporter
Platinum Member
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:23 pm

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by bluessupporter » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Kieran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:13 pm
When you look at the cold hard facts it is clear that he is relatively unproven, so I'm just not sure what it is that people are seeing to be hailing it as a fantastic appointment.
Not being negative and I feel it's a good appointment but I wonder why he appears to been out of work for a year.

User avatar
chipmunx
Gold Member
Posts: 2290
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 am
Location: Fortress Holker Street
Contact:

Re: Jolley confirmed as Barrow manager

Post by chipmunx » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:59 pm

bluessupporter wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:51 pm
Kieran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:13 pm
When you look at the cold hard facts it is clear that he is relatively unproven, so I'm just not sure what it is that people are seeing to be hailing it as a fantastic appointment.
Not being negative and I feel it's a good appointment but I wonder why he appears to been out of work for a year.
most of that year we've been in a pandemic.
6 months of the last year we didn't even have a league match to play.
Lancashire;- born and bred

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arvo, Beanmuncher, Big_Bluebird, Bruce, colyates, Cuz66, Jim, MisterT., olbarrafancumbak, pjturley and 63 guests