Realistic expectations

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Bingo
Platinum Member
Posts: 4100
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am
Location: Failsworth, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by Bingo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:22 am

I'm sure the board wouldn't have paid for a manager and started to build a decent squad to just get to safety and to be honest if we set up to just survive we will struggle.
I expect us to have a better season and I'd be happy to finish mid table.

Nothing to fear in this league let's go out and have a good go.

It was fine margins last season so if the new players make a difference then we might surprise a few.

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11116
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by Jonty » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:16 pm

We’ve had two tough seasons bedding in. Now hoping with Wild that we see some steady progress and I’m really encouraged by the steady flow of recruitment and the players he’s brought in.
We’ll always be amongst the smallest clubs but managed correctly with a passionate backing there is no reason we can’t realistically be aiming towards mid table this season. Agree with Bingo- absolutely nothing to fear with any of these teams.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Methuselah
Silver Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by Methuselah » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm

I too feel cautiously optimistic about this season.Peter Wild seems to be bringing players in who will give us a better defence and also a better chance of scoring from crosses with the height of some of the players he has brought in.I too would be grateful if we finished mid table above Carlisle after what some of their supporters said about us last season,hoping that we would be relegated.Hopefully when we play them this season we will defeat them both times.

ossickbluebird
Veteran Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by ossickbluebird » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:40 pm

League and Pizza Cup double or Wild gets the push.

blumooncrab
Silver Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by blumooncrab » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:58 pm

Stability is the key . I think I’m correct in saying that last season, apart from Crawley, we took at least a point off every other team . So nothing that we cannot do again but we have to start putting the ball in the net to turn those draws to wins- especially at home where we were pretty awful for most of the time. I doubt we’ll see a headline striker come into the squad but we do look stronger defensively and I think we have the potential to score goals. If Waters is a real fox in the box we are possibly in Evatt season 1 territory where post Xmas we struggled to score once Tyler was recalled. Waters won’t be recalled but I think we’ll do ok. Steady the ship and then we can be looking forward in the next stage of the project. Which is not to say that we should discount this year at all. Aim for the stars. You never know ! Up the Bluebirds !

RedWeb
Veteran Member
Posts: 692
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by RedWeb » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:28 pm

Not being involved in the relegation scrap will be progress. That said we need to think bigger than that otherwise what's the point in being in the EFL.

Middleton Nick
Platinum Member
Posts: 3548
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am
Location: Middleton LA6 Remote
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by Middleton Nick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:44 pm

Patience is the key. Tough start to the season fixture wise and new players to gel in the squad. I think we have a better and stronger squad and hopefully finish around mid div. Looking forward to the new season.

User avatar
Sea Dog Sam
Bronze Member
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Realistic expectations

Post by Sea Dog Sam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:21 pm

Glad to see we've rid ourselves of the driftwood - only Gordon remains.

Can't see us finishing in the top half of the table. But I think we'll hold our own and finish in a higher position than the previous two campaigns. I base my thoughts on optimism rather than belief. This season is crucial. We need to show more consistency in our home fixtures or our attendances will dwindle.
Shiver Me Timbers

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests