Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
ThreeLieIns
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by ThreeLieIns » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:13 pm

chipmunx wrote:
SKIPPER wrote: Clearly picked up the injury when he was sent tumbling for the booking. Not something he could avoid.
i thought that too, the guy could easily have seen red for the tackle, being as he looked like the last man.
Hope you're both wrong. Brilliant cross by Pilks for the goal. We need that quality in this league.

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11116
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by Jonty » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Groin strain - out for minimum two weeks.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/Pilks-could-fa ... 3e377fc-ds
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

whitty1969
Platinum Member
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by whitty1969 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Jim wrote:
whitty1969 wrote: We need a Right Back urgently. Cowps beaten time and time again, out of position all the time. He is going to cost us a lot of points.
Edmondson obviously has faith in him and he needs to be given time to settle into the role. I think he is an decent footballer and could well become a star in that position. Give him a break and see how things are after 10 or 12 games.

Incidentally, didn't Dover's goal come from the right? ;)
Let's not bury our head in the sand.
We need a RB. Cowps given 5/10 in non league paper.
Guess reporter was at the same game as me.
Good squad utility player but not a RB.

User avatar
barrowfan_chris
Platinum Member
Posts: 3508
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: The Former Republic of Barrovia.
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by barrowfan_chris » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:36 pm

He was awful at RB last season cant believe we let Burns go just to play cowps at right back.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Middleton Nick
Platinum Member
Posts: 3548
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am
Location: Middleton LA6 Remote
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by Middleton Nick » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:43 pm

barrowfan_chris wrote:He was awful at RB last season cant believe we let Burns go just to play cowps at right back.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I've just said that to Mr Cassius in general chit chat.

russell_anderson
Platinum Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Waterlooville, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by russell_anderson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:51 pm

barrowfan_chris wrote:He was awful at RB last season cant believe we let Burns go just to play cowps at right back.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I expect they were expecting to sign Matt Young to be the first choice right back and got a last minute shock when he signed for Dover.

toko
Senior Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by toko » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:09 pm

What a great result to start the season. I don't think I've seen a game before where the ball spent more time in the air than on the deck. When we played football we looked quite good.

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before but what a brilliant tribute to fred else. The piece read out before the minutes applause was brilliant so well done to all involved with that.

GTBLUE
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5238
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: WHEN WE HAD A ROOF
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by GTBLUE » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Simon Grand was magnificent. The best player by far. Won every header, every tackle. A great leader. Attitude, commitment, and shows why he's captain.

pjdaly
Gold Member
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by pjdaly » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Symington's glaring miss has received a lot of comment and right enough it was a wasted chance. However, in the short time he had I thought he did very well, with three or four sparkling little contributions. It's too early to say how good he is, or is not, but I thought I would redress the balance by commenting on his performance as a whole rather than just emphasise the failure when clear one on one with the keeper.

Gazza
Veteran Member
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:09 am
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by Gazza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:14 pm

russell_anderson wrote:
barrowfan_chris wrote:He was awful at RB last season cant believe we let Burns go just to play cowps at right back.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I expect they were expecting to sign Matt Young to be the first choice right back and got a last minute shock when he signed for Dover.
According to Edmo on the radio just before the game Matt Young was let go as "other areas where the budget needed to be spent on". Not really sure how that can be the case when we don't have a 'proper' right back !!

User avatar
PRR
Gold Member
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by PRR » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Matt Young wasn't good enough
I wanna take you to an Away Bar

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:38 pm

toko wrote:What a great result to start the season. I don't think I've seen a game before where the ball spent more time in the air than on the deck. When we played football we looked quite good.

Did you miss every game of last season?
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

Suffolk Blue
Platinum Member
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by Suffolk Blue » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:51 pm

Thought Grand was magnificent and would have been my MOM.

Fofana in front of the back four looked really good and gave everything.

Ashton is a solid wily old bird and his distribution was pretty good. However I thought he was occasionally as guilty as Cowps of leaving the centre back pairing exposed.

Think Dixon showed some nerves but I think he also showed some class.

I had to look at Cooky twice before I realised it was actually him. Looks like he's lost the best part of a stone since pre-season began. As fit as anyone out there.

Also thought Dover collectively looked a little fitter towards the end. Perhaps our switch to fulltime has not yet fully manifest itself in the players condition , so there may be more to come in that department.

Lastly I though our bench was very effective far more so than the opposition and this probably helped counter any fatigue.

Oh and the second goal was a good a move as I've seen us put together in a long while - so we can definitely play football.

Other than that, I'd prefer to take the positives. Dover came to win and not frustrate. This made it a much more interesting encounter than anything seen at HK last season. I thought their quality was well above anything I saw last season including Fylde and Guiseley. I actually think this was a game we would have lost at the turn of this year. It shows how far this team has developed even during the off-season. Even if it also showed how far we still have to go to be serious challengers.

toko
Senior Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Barrow vs Dover - Match thread

Post by toko » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:10 pm

The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
toko wrote:What a great result to start the season. I don't think I've seen a game before where the ball spent more time in the air than on the deck. When we played football we looked quite good.

Did you miss every game of last season?
No

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests