Its a tough one this. I am actually shocked at the severity of the sentences. I expected an absolute maximum of 6 months (and probably more like 2 or 3) for all of them if I am honest which for me would have sufficed.barrowaberdeen wrote:This is my third attempt at a post, I very rarely comment on this as I disagree with a lot of what is said, including from people who are good friends of mine.
I can't stand these badly dressed, inbred, roidy boy, liberty taking jakies, just to be clear. Both my son and I took a few lumps at this. And 90% of them were just neds, not even hooligans.
However the sentences are ridiculous. You can't have a situation where football offences are being judged completely differently to any other assaults, sex crimes, death by dangerous driving, manslaughter. Some of the people jailed haven't thrown a punch.
I would be much happier if I thought it was about what happened on the day.
The only person who should get the jail is the one who punched GC, if they even know which one it was. This has got little to do with justice, and everything to do with a set of authorities in the midlands trying to justify themselves after making a spectacular error in not policing and stewarding adequately, then being made to look foolish in the national media.
I very much respect the difference of opinion of the vast majority who I was there with.
As someone who gave evidence at two trials I am glad it wasn't wasted time but I do think the sentences are overly harsh and it is pretty clear that a message is being sent out.
However, that said, these people were stupid enough to
1) cause trouble
2) get caught
3) in a lot of cases boast about it on social media and show no remorse
4) to have the most pathetic, ridiculous defence in a lot of cases
5) in some cases have previous
In the end they put themselves in that situation and I do believe that a lot of it was pre-planned. They took a risk and it has backfired spectacularly. I feel more sorry for their families than them.