BAFC updates

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
HenneysKnee
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by HenneysKnee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:43 am

Does that mean there's no local cup finals on Holker Street this year?

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:13 am

HenneysKnee wrote:Does that mean there's no local cup finals on Holker Street this year?
Can't see that being possible. There's a fair bit more going on, which I'll post about perhaps next week when a few things are settled on. The things I mention will all affect parts of the pitch area (amongst other areas)

I'll get you an answer asap.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:34 am

Gareth seems to think there are some games being played on it, I'll check further though.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Online
User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Jonty » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:11 am

Ian, please can you ask the club to share the floodlight plans with the fans. I appreciate that there has been a lot of effort going into this but very little information forthcoming, other than it's been a challenge. Has local authority planning permission been required? What sort of system are we getting LED? Football League standard?
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 am

Jonty wrote:Ian, please can you ask the club to share the floodlight plans with the fans. I appreciate that there has been a lot of effort going into this but very little information forthcoming, other than it's been a challenge. Has local authority planning permission been required? What sort of system are we getting LED? Football League standard?
I'll find out what I can this week Jonty, the exact details might not be available until Friday, that being the deadline for the final quotes.

I had a walk around the ground on Friday afternoon with Paul & Andrew Casson as they showed me a couple of things that we (GMV's & Furness College) could help with over the summer, just basic stuff really but things that help with the ground grading & safety certificates. Regarding the floodlights, this is what I know so far (and it's obviously not the technical stuff)
As previously mentioned, work will start immediately after the final game of the season (play-offs still in the thoughts) the lights will go five meters out from the edge of the pitch. For example, in the garage corner they will sit just behind the pitch perimeter wall. I know five meters at the moment will position them pitch side of the wall but the pitch will be moving one meter towards the popular side over the summer.

I'll try and find out the more this week.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Online
User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Jonty » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks, I think this is going by relatively unnanounced, when it is really a significant part of ground redevelopment and has been two years in the pipeline.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

User avatar
spirit of 1990
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Jonty wrote:Thanks, I think this is going by relatively unnanounced, when it is really a significant part of ground redevelopment and has been two years in the pipeline.
Probably going "relatively unannounced" because every time something gets said and a problem holds it up the club (or whoever said it) gets their quote picked apart.

Just my view on it.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Online
User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Jonty » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Not the angle I'm coming from Ian, think everyone knows the floodlights have given the club a headache, so a good positive headline with some idea of the system we are getting would be a good thing. Personally hope the club have gone out to tender with a football league spec in mind because that's what we should be aiming for. As Austin Straker said, we'll only do this once, so has to be right.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Alhosk
Silver Member
Posts: 1483
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Alhosk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 pm

It's a shame it's going to look shit.

Online
User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Jonty » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 pm

An LED high mast system may cost more initially, but over the long term the operating / maintenance costs will be less. Plus it's the way forward with stadium lighting as they can be dimmed / brightened to suit natural light levels.

League 2 requirement-is 500 average lux. We need to be aiming towards this standard. Hopefully Ian can come back with some detail about the system.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

DIXIE
Veteran Member
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 3:59 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by DIXIE » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:28 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Jonty wrote:Ian, please can you ask the club to share the floodlight plans with the fans. I appreciate that there has been a lot of effort going into this but very little information forthcoming, other than it's been a challenge. Has local authority planning permission been required? What sort of system are we getting LED? Football League standard?
I'll find out what I can this week Jonty, the exact details might not be available until Friday, that being the deadline for the final quotes.

I had a walk around the ground on Friday afternoon with Paul & Andrew Casson as they showed me a couple of things that we (GMV's & Furness College) could help with over the summer, just basic stuff really but things that help with the ground grading & safety certificates. Regarding the floodlights, this is what I know so far (and it's obviously not the technical stuff)
As previously mentioned, work will start immediately after the final game of the season (play-offs still in the thoughts) the lights will go five meters out from the edge of the pitch. For example, in the garage corner they will sit just behind the pitch perimeter wall. I know five meters at the moment will position them pitch side of the wall but the pitch will be moving one meter towards the popular side over the summer.

I'll try and find out the more this week.
So a former member of this forum seems PC may have been at Maidstone on Saturday and the NWEM didn't know. How about that?

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:09 pm

DIXIE wrote:
spirit of 1990 wrote:
I'll find out what I can this week Jonty, the exact details might not be available until Friday, that being the deadline for the final quotes.

I had a walk around the ground on Friday afternoon with Paul & Andrew Casson as they showed me a couple of things that we (GMV's & Furness College) could help with over the summer, just basic stuff really but things that help with the ground grading & safety certificates. Regarding the floodlights, this is what I know so far (and it's obviously not the technical stuff)
As previously mentioned, work will start immediately after the final game of the season (play-offs still in the thoughts) the lights will go five meters out from the edge of the pitch. For example, in the garage corner they will sit just behind the pitch perimeter wall. I know five meters at the moment will position them pitch side of the wall but the pitch will be moving one meter towards the popular side over the summer.

I'll try and find out the more this week.
So a former member of this forum seems PC may have been at Maidstone on Saturday and the NWEM didn't know. How about that?
Oh right? Great that.

You still havnt replied to the maidstone prediction thread where I predicted we would lose when we did and you decided to have a go at me. Hope you havnt forgotten about this. "Xxx"
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Holkerbird » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:46 pm

The pitch moved one metre (we don't spell metre the American way yet Ian but might have to after Brexit) nearer to the Popular side for what reason might I ask?
Last edited by Holkerbird on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancaster Branch
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5509
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Lancaster Branch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 am

Holkerbird wrote:The pitch moved one metre (we don't spell metre the American way yet Ian but might have to after Bexit) nearer to the Popular side for what reason might I ask?
New commercial idea, selling viewing glasses to those in the main stand. Like the ones you get at the theatre and whatnot. 50p a game.

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: BAFC updates

Post by Holkerbird » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Lancaster Branch wrote:
Holkerbird wrote:The pitch moved one metre (we don't spell metre the American way yet Ian but might have to after Brexit) nearer to the Popular side for what reason might I ask?
New commercial idea, selling viewing glasses to those in the main stand. Like the ones you get at the theatre and whatnot. 50p a game.
That was my first thought. One metre is a hell of a distance to us old 'uns. Yet more crap to carry to the game---binoculars now to go with the rattle, sweets, flask, blanket, fur trimmed hat, bum bag and cushion cos those plastic seats are cold.. The first 5 minutes are spent unpacking the Harrods bag they are conveyed in. :scarf:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dezil, Jonty, MisterT. and 34 guests