Commercial

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator
Posts: 8192
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: Costa Del Barrow
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by Ste Story » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Steeley wrote: ↑Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 amSee players/staff swanning about in official clothing that isnt offered to fans, want to keep as VIP only.
Bob on. And select sponsors/friends of the club who aren't actually staff too. Been some decent gear around the club tbh, just none of it for sale to the fans.

No idea on the kits/playerwear etc as it's all tied into contracts, but if the club wanna give me a float of cash i'll stock the shop with some decent merchandise, got loads of ideas for unique stuff to stock it with tbh, rather than just shit rulers and horrible t-shirts.
:scarf:
Ste Story | Professional Website & Graphic Design in Barrow - www.stephenstory.co.uk

BahamasBluebird
Senior Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Funchal, Madeira
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by BahamasBluebird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm

As always with threads like these there are some fantastic and interesting points. I am taking a good look at the club shop and how it can be improved so here are a few of my thoughts if anyone is interested:


I'll start with a few things I think have been done well/better this season, just because it's easier :lol:


1) Home / Away / Third shirts were available in June, with plenty in stock. We are approaching Christmas and there are still a large selection of shirts left, despite pretty consistent good sales since June.

2) When stocks were running low of the maroon third shirts a new order was put in, names were taken on a waiting list, and when they arrived all of those on the list were contacted.

3) We have introduced a new card for all our Performance Centre players who along with free entry to games, get 10% off in the club shop.

4) For something a bit different we have worked with Abbey Marble and Granite to have a range of BAFC slate products in the shop. Not for everyone I'm sure, but it's something different.

5) We have had kind offers from two fans to supply us with prints for us to stock - you can see them on the shop link below.

6) I appreciate it's not the biggest shop in the world and the shirts take up a fair amount of space, but there hasn't been an empty space in the shop since the start of the season, with hopefully at least something for everyone's liking.


As for the stuff that needs to change / get better:


Online Shop:

I had to laugh when this thread was put up as I was planning on updating the shop link this week to give people some ideas for Chrismtas Presents. It all looks a bit reactive now, but nonetheless here is the link:

http://barrowafc.com/shop/


As was mentioned in one of the club updates, we are getting a new website. I hope to have an update on it in the next few days. The new site will of course have a fully functional online shop, along with an online ticket office and the ability to book events and courses online too.


Stock:

I always make a point to check out other teams club shops on our travels and I have to say I think ours is at least on par with alot of them for the most part.

Some clubs have a fantastic shop. However, in almost all cases, there is a clear correlation between how "good" the shop is and the size of that clubs fan base. Two that stand out are Tranmere and Wrexham, and it is worth remembering that they are catering to a fan base which is simply much bigger than ours. They can take a punt on a bigger range of items knowing they have more people to sell it to.

Of course there are other factors, some which can be addressed (and will be) and I'm not saying it means we can't have a good range of products in our shop, but people will only buy so much each season. There are often minimum order limits for a lot of items too, so we need to make sure that we get a smaller range of decent merchandise in.

I reckon we have a lot of the basics right in terms of shirts, scarfs, hats, pin badges, key rings etc, but things can be improved and that must be done sensibly.


Shop Awareness:

Wintergreen's point about awareness is an interesting one. As happens with a few things, perhaps we just assume everyone knows we have a shop so that is definitely something to look at.

I will make sure the clubs social media and website promotes the shop more frequently than it does now. As Jim mentions in his post, the best way to promote it is to tell family/friends about it and drop subtle hints! :D


Going Forward:

Planning for getting new stock in the shop in the New Year has started, a proper plan is going to be put in place with targets throughout the year to offer a range of different things. There is a real desire to get the shop up to scratch in the New Year, starting with the new online shop. Of course when the time comes to look at new kits and training gear etc, having stock in for fans will definitely be looked at.

As he says above, Ste has offered to help out and I will be getting in touch with him to hopefully get some interesting items in the New Year.



If anyone has any ideas of what you would like to see in the shop, or have any questions then feel free to contact me. You can either email the office at office@barrowafc.com or email me direct on r.sutherland@barrowafc.com

As with improving the clubs social media, it will take time to improve and not everything will be perfect first time, but we are definitely heading in the right direction so bear with me/us and we will get there! :scarf:

User avatar
Wintergreen
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7481
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: The Blue Planet
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by Wintergreen » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Well done Bahamas.

Can I ask - you are based abroad but also have a direct involvement with the club's commercial side?
We will foller the soccer, over land and sea...

User avatar
barrowfan_chris
Platinum Member
Posts: 3508
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: The Former Republic of Barrovia.
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by barrowfan_chris » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm

@BahamasBluebird Everything the players and management wear should be available to buy imo

There's plenty that could be bought that doesn't have a to be sold in one season.

whitty1969
Platinum Member
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by whitty1969 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks for your reply Ryan.
Can I ask do you now work for the club or are you a volunteer?
Plenty of scope for improvement but a really good start. Well done....

mr_grey
Veteran Member
Posts: 740
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by mr_grey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Asked Mrs grey if she fancied a bit of slate with barow badge engraved on it. .can't tell you the answer. ..other than I think she said No,or if I did it wouldn't ever see the sun
Who cares if young lads get in free and 10% discount..what about season ticket holders?
Where's the half season tickets discount gone?
where's the xmas cards?
No learning from what went well last year?

Bit late now !

Cillablue
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:36 am
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by Cillablue » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Xmas cards are there Mr Grey....just £4.99 for the same pack of ten this year compared to £2.50 last year.

Bargain at double the price 😂

mr_grey
Veteran Member
Posts: 740
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by mr_grey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:05 pm

£10 a pack by 2018 . great rate of interest..

BahamasBluebird
Senior Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Funchal, Madeira
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by BahamasBluebird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Wintergreen wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm Well done Bahamas.

Can I ask - you are based abroad but also have a direct involvement with the club's commercial side?
You can ask Wintergreen and I can explain what I do, but perhaps not why. :lol:

Having lived in various places that were a good 8 hour flight away, I moved to Spain and then Portugal where I am now. When I realised I could make it to Barrow games and back in a weekend that's what I started to do. I offered to help out with the clubs social media and implemented a few ideas I had for it, and it's grown from there.

Generally I fly into the UK on a Thursday for home games, help set everything up for the game and fly back first thing Monday. For away games I'll fly in on Friday afternoon and back out Monday.

At least once a month, I spend a full week at the club to have meetings and go through how things have gone with social media etc. And as was the case the last few weeks with Andrew C being away, I spent a few weeks in Barrow so that no one was left doing everything on their own! :D

barrowfan_chris wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm @BahamasBluebird Everything the players and management wear should be available to buy imo

There's plenty that could be bought that doesn't have a to be sold in one season.

All I can say on the first point is that it wouldn't have been feasible this season. What could be made available (Polo shirts, Training tops, Training Shorts and Training Pants) are in the shop, but as for the hoodies etc they would simply be too expensive. It's something that needs fixing and it is definitely something I will be looking at for next season.

Totally agree with the second point and of course that's why it's important to have a good think about what to get in, so that they will stay popular for more than one season.

whitty1969 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:23 pm Thanks for your reply Ryan.
Can I ask do you now work for the club or are you a volunteer?
Plenty of scope for improvement but a really good start. Well done....

No problem Whitty. I'm not really employed by the club but it covers my travel costs and obviously I get in to games for free etc. It might not be sustainable long term but for now it's great to be able to help out, and getting to see behind the scenes of your favorite club is pretty cool too!

mr_grey wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm Asked Mrs grey if she fancied a bit of slate with barow badge engraved on it. .can't tell you the answer. ..other than I think she said No,or if I did it wouldn't ever see the sun
Who cares if young lads get in free and 10% discount..what about season ticket holders?
Where's the half season tickets discount gone?
where's the xmas cards?
No learning from what went well last year?

Bit late now !

Keep an eye on our social media channels and website for some ticket news in the next week or so.

As I said the slate range isn't for everyone, but it's important to have something for all and lots of people have shown interest in them.

I personally think it's important to get the performance centre kids involved with the club on match days, they are the future afterall, but we all have our own opinions.

If you like you can PM me to discuss anything or we can arrange to meet at the club to discuss any ideas you might have.

Cillablue wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 pm Xmas cards are there Mr Grey....just £4.99 for the same pack of ten this year compared to £2.50 last year.

Bargain at double the price 😂

Oops! I must admit I wasn't sure how much they were in the past. Now changed to 2.50.

User avatar
Steeley
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 5750
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by Steeley » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Good honest replies @BahamasBluebird

One thing though, too expensive to stock the hoodies? Dread to think how much player layer are getting out of the club!
Bish=God

liverpoolann
Bronze Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by liverpoolann » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Didn’t realise we had Christmas cards Still is it the same picture.?Think they were three quid a pack two for fiver when got mine .glad new web site will give shop more prominence and hopefully easier accessibility.

HenneysKnee
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8337
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by HenneysKnee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Two suggestions
Get rid of player layer
Stock some decent leisurewear, most adults don’t wear replicas but would wear a smart polo shirt etc

User avatar
Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator
Posts: 8192
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: Costa Del Barrow
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by Ste Story » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:03 am

BahamasBluebird wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm I'm not really employed by the club but it covers my travel costs


Kin hell.
:scarf:
Ste Story | Professional Website & Graphic Design in Barrow - www.stephenstory.co.uk

User avatar
Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator
Posts: 8192
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: Costa Del Barrow
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by Ste Story » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 am

boyliegladbach wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm
Summerof76 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 pm Hi, Emma here!

Had a couple of messages this morning asking if I am Cilla Blue......sorry to disappoint but this is me! And no I don’t know who it is!
It’s obvious who it is . Cilla blue is a former member of this forum.
a former member of this forum has been in touch and asked me to tell you all he's NOT cilla :)
:scarf:
Ste Story | Professional Website & Graphic Design in Barrow - www.stephenstory.co.uk

whitty1969
Platinum Member
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Commercial

Post by whitty1969 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 am

He uses Steeleys account! !!!!!

Post Reply