The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
I wanted to pick out and very much highlight a tentative suggestion made by Paul Casson (in his communication reproduced by Peter on page 6 of the “New Stadium or Redevelopment” thread) in which he hints that one possible name for the new bar might be to name it after Brian Arrowsmith.
I was delighted to learn that Paul has Brian in mind for an honour of some sort. However, rather than a bar, I would definitely suggest that Brian’s name be added to one of our new stands in due course. I don’t know what our owner intends to do exactly; we have learned that he might rename the ground The Walter Casson Stadium after his late father and that is fine by me and I daresay by almost everyone who respects what Mr Casson is trying to do for us. Whether the four sides of the ground are to be named after various figures in our history is not known but if that did come to pass then four sides limits us to four chosen names only. That could lead to endless debate and argument but I feel sure that Brian must qualify in the top 4 candidates. If you are a younger fan and you’re not too well up on Brian then read your Barrow AFC history books and learn a bit more about the man!
Brian is, I think, around the age of 74 now and I still see him turning up at Holker Street, 47 years on from when he captained us to promotion to the old Division 3. I appreciate that there is a humorous side to it, but I’ve kind of grown tired of the old jokes in which Brian is best remembered for his extraordinary own-goal against Leicester in the FA Cup 3rd round tie at Holker Street in January 1968. Believe me, there have been so many times when I have talked Barrow AFC history with people and reference to that own-goal follows the mention of his name as sure as night follows day. It seems a cruel irony that such an extraordinary servant to the club is remembered by so many for that moment when in fact his service and achievements are, in many respects, matched by no other single figure in our history. After all, only one man captained us to the highest position we have ever attained on the football ladder and that one man was Brian.
So, if any naming of particular stands does ever happen then Brian gets a definite nomination from me.
I was delighted to learn that Paul has Brian in mind for an honour of some sort. However, rather than a bar, I would definitely suggest that Brian’s name be added to one of our new stands in due course. I don’t know what our owner intends to do exactly; we have learned that he might rename the ground The Walter Casson Stadium after his late father and that is fine by me and I daresay by almost everyone who respects what Mr Casson is trying to do for us. Whether the four sides of the ground are to be named after various figures in our history is not known but if that did come to pass then four sides limits us to four chosen names only. That could lead to endless debate and argument but I feel sure that Brian must qualify in the top 4 candidates. If you are a younger fan and you’re not too well up on Brian then read your Barrow AFC history books and learn a bit more about the man!
Brian is, I think, around the age of 74 now and I still see him turning up at Holker Street, 47 years on from when he captained us to promotion to the old Division 3. I appreciate that there is a humorous side to it, but I’ve kind of grown tired of the old jokes in which Brian is best remembered for his extraordinary own-goal against Leicester in the FA Cup 3rd round tie at Holker Street in January 1968. Believe me, there have been so many times when I have talked Barrow AFC history with people and reference to that own-goal follows the mention of his name as sure as night follows day. It seems a cruel irony that such an extraordinary servant to the club is remembered by so many for that moment when in fact his service and achievements are, in many respects, matched by no other single figure in our history. After all, only one man captained us to the highest position we have ever attained on the football ladder and that one man was Brian.
So, if any naming of particular stands does ever happen then Brian gets a definite nomination from me.
-
SlurpyTigga
- Member
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 am
- Contact:
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
We could have the Jack Cudworth stand as well.
- Steelworks End
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 5959
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:03 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
It was a cracking goal, though; Fred Else had no chance of getting to it!
Seriously, though, Brian Arrowsmith was a loyal servant of the club for many a long year and holds the Barrow record for Football League appearances. A tough but fair defender, not many opposing forwards got the better of him, and he was no respecter of reputations as his games against the First Division stars of Southampton and Leicester showed.
Other Barrow born players may have achieved more in the game but 'Arra did it all for his home town club. Naming part of the ground in his honour would be a well deserved accolade for a popular and respected local lad.
Seriously, though, Brian Arrowsmith was a loyal servant of the club for many a long year and holds the Barrow record for Football League appearances. A tough but fair defender, not many opposing forwards got the better of him, and he was no respecter of reputations as his games against the First Division stars of Southampton and Leicester showed.
Other Barrow born players may have achieved more in the game but 'Arra did it all for his home town club. Naming part of the ground in his honour would be a well deserved accolade for a popular and respected local lad.
- Nigel Bamford
- Platinum Member
- Posts: 2700
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
- Location: Between here and gone
- Contact:
- Fartvs Antiqvvs
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1417
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:55 pm
- Location: Nailsworth, Glos.
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
Regarding the possibility of renaming the 4 quarters, I think one of them, (behind either goalpost), should be named the Fred Else stand or quarter. The man was the goal-keeper in that epic new found land of the 3rd division and remained first choice G/K from those days to retirement.
Non essere curioso!
-
boyliegladbach
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 8720
- Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
- Location: Tel aviv
- Contact:
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
Could name each square metre of the ground after everyone that's ever played for us.
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
The Gregg Blundell Perimeter Wall?
The Shaun Pearson Substitutes Bench?
The Lee McEvilly Burger Van?
The Shaun Pearson Substitutes Bench?
The Lee McEvilly Burger Van?
- spirit of 1990
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 9884
- Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
- Contact:
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
The Cowps bar...........that kills two birds with one stone!
Sean McConville little shit house.
Andy Ferrels white line.
Sean McConville little shit house.
Andy Ferrels white line.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
It's a shame I never shared any of these memories about Arrowsmith. Of course, he did a lot for the club, local lad, cracking player etc. but personally, I would rather have a stand named after somebody who I've grown up watching the football, hearing the names of. Wilkie, Cowperthwaite, Jones etc often crop up in a conversation about Barrow. I don't think I've ever had a conversation with a Barrow fan where the name Arrowsmith has been mentioned. I feel only those who have actually seen him play would have a proper connection with the player and feel strongly about a stand being named after him.
#SWB
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
Agreed.A.B. wrote:It's a shame I never shared any of these memories about Arrowsmith. Of course, he did a lot for the club, local lad, cracking player etc. but personally, I would rather have a stand named after somebody who I've grown up watching the football, hearing the names of. Wilkie, Cowperthwaite, Jones etc often crop up in a conversation about Barrow. I don't think I've ever had a conversation with a Barrow fan where the name Arrowsmith has been mentioned. I feel only those who have actually seen him play would have a proper connection with the player and feel strongly about a stand being named after him.
Perhaps Mr Casson should commission a poll to find out which of Barrow's greats should have the honour.
The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
Darren Sheridan, surely?Spanner wrote:The Lee McEvilly Burger Van?
"I'm aware of the rules of Association Football, I merely choose to suspend them when my own team is involved" - Steve Herbert, 2011
- Fartvs Antiqvvs
- Silver Member
- Posts: 1417
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:55 pm
- Location: Nailsworth, Glos.
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
Therein lies the crux of the matter A.B. In another 50 years, (if BAFC are still going), the supporters will be saying, "Who the hell was Wilkie, Cowperthwaite, Jones etc?" Think about it.A.B. wrote: ... but personally, I would rather have a stand named after somebody who I've grown up watching the football, hearing the names of. Wilkie, Cowperthwaite, Jones etc often crop up in a conversation about Barrow.
Non essere curioso!
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
Maybe so.But I think whilst the ground is being rebuilt now, we should be naming areas of the ground who we, as a club, best associate with at the moment, not from yesteryear.Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Therein lies the crux of the matter A.B. In another 50 years, (if BAFC are still going), the supporters will be saying, "Who the hell was Wilkie, Cowperthwaite, Jones etc?" Think about it.A.B. wrote: ... but personally, I would rather have a stand named after somebody who I've grown up watching the football, hearing the names of. Wilkie, Cowperthwaite, Jones etc often crop up in a conversation about Barrow.
#SWB
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
Personally I like the idea of naming something after Brian Arrowsmith. I'm not old enough to have seen him play but am more than aware of his significance to the club and think he's got more of a claim than most.
-
blue nige
- BarrowAFC Veteran
- Posts: 7129
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
- Location: Antarctica
- Contact:
Re: The Brian Arrowsmith Stand?
i`m glad mr casson didn`t think like that, lest we forget he (mr casson) is doing all this to firstly leave a legacy ,secondly in memory of his father/goodtimes he hadwhen he was younger!A.B. wrote:Maybe so.But I think whilst the ground is being rebuilt now, we should be naming areas of the ground who we, as a club, best associate with at the moment, not from yesteryear.Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote: Therein lies the crux of the matter A.B. In another 50 years, (if BAFC are still going), the supporters will be saying, "Who the hell was Wilkie, Cowperthwaite, Jones etc?" Think about it.
don`t forget statues to stanley matthews,george best,bobby moore etc.it would also show todays players that we do regonise what they achieve and the service they give to the club.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Richard Ingham and 23 guests