Forest Green v Barrow match thread

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Jock
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Jock » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:23 pm

There has been more said on here about the Forest Green stewards than about the match itself. Maybe after reading their forum they had good reason for their stance to Barrow fans. I find it strange that their team has just hammered another team and their fans would rather talk and accuse the rival fans than talk about how well their team had played. What has been going on? as they say there is no smoke without fire.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by boyliegladbach » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Just watched highlights , I think Dixon would have saved it.
Very harsh red card .
Hope our club put a few more of the controversial refereeing moments on our highlights.

Si_Nichols
Veteran Member
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Si_Nichols » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:32 pm

http://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/game ... arrow-home

Pretty much as I thought yesterday. Can understand why it is a penalty (though it won't always get given) but even a yellow card is ridiculous, never mind a red.

Gazza
Veteran Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:09 am
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Gazza » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:37 pm

I'll tell you what, forget the first one, how the hell is Williams tackle worthy of a red either? It's complete [SwearFilter] and that's what we have to put up with this season, we are going to be screwed.

boyliegladbach
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tel aviv
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by boyliegladbach » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Gazza wrote:I'll tell you what, forget the first one, how the hell is Williams tackle worthy of a red either? It's complete [SwearFilter] and that's what we have to put up with this season, we are going to be screwed.
And we got the free kick for the Williams one, at first yesterday I thought it may be for offside but the linesman didn't have his flag up when I looked.

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Jonty » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Forest Green highlights are up. Painful to watch.

http://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/game ... arrow-home
The red card on Livesy looks very harsh. Williams at the end- not even sure what he's done there- a shove? again, looked harsh, he wasn't direct in on goal.

Don't let that detract from the three goals after the pen which are poor defending from Barrow, Two from corners were we are far too slow - the FGR players reacting first each time and the third goal practically taken the full length down the left wing with absolutely no challenge coming in and leaving us looking like we've got diving boots on. Maybe the heads were well down at this point.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

SKIPPER
Platinum Member
Posts: 3716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by SKIPPER » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Gazza wrote:I'll tell you what, forget the first one, how the hell is Williams tackle worthy of a red either? It's complete [SwearFilter] and that's what we have to put up with this season, we are going to be screwed.
Someone on the FGR forum seemed to think it was a second yellow.

Optimism
Gold Member
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Optimism » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Punished twice for an accident. Livesey had turned away from a powerful strike at close range, clearly no intent to handle at all. I can understand the award of a penalty with arms perhaps away from the body, but it's a ridiculous decision to red card a man for that. Did our new red shirts subconsciously influence the referee? Should we have stuck with yellow?

Si_Nichols
Veteran Member
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Si_Nichols » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:50 pm

SKIPPER wrote:
Gazza wrote:I'll tell you what, forget the first one, how the hell is Williams tackle worthy of a red either? It's complete [SwearFilter] and that's what we have to put up with this season, we are going to be screwed.
Someone on the FGR forum seemed to think it was a second yellow.
Pretty sure he was given a straight red though he may have been booked earlier. not sure the footage captures what we were given a free kick for but it does look like Williams kicked him. I think the referee was just making sure of his full bonus payment from FGR.

User avatar
Moonwatcher
Senior Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Moonwatcher » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:00 pm

I didn't go to Nailsworth yesterday, and have read with interest all the reactions and opinions on the forum. Now I've watched the highlights for myself....and no way was that a penalty, let alone a red card. We've been well and truly done there. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it evens out Dover's disallowed goal from last week, but Danny shouldn't have been dismissed. However, none of that really matters because the other three goals were the result of unforgivably sloppy defending and we deserved a hammering. Their second goal was truly appalling defending, with at least three players who could have hoofed the ball to safety just standing watching whilst the FGR lad helped himself. You could argue that at the time the players were still reeling from the injustice of going a goal down and a man down, but they're full time professional footballers now, they should have regrouped and tried to weather the next twenty minutes without going any further behind. Very disappointing, but let's draw a line under it, learn, move on, and get revenge when they come up here.

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Jonty » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Agree Moonwatcher- the other three goals are dreadful defending from Barrow. Even the first, leading up to the hand ball, there's four Barrow players not being strong enough in stopping that ball coming into the box.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7306
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by barrowfan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:49 pm

We'll start playing better when the manager gets back on the touchline! ;)

Si_Nichols
Veteran Member
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Si_Nichols » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Jonty wrote:Agree Moonwatcher- the other three goals are dreadful defending from Barrow. Even the first, leading up to the hand ball, there's four Barrow players not being strong enough in stopping that ball coming into the box.
They aren't great defending but you also have to factor in that we played 70+ minutes a man light and there were many times where we defended very well. We also knocked the ball around well at times, especially in the first 15 minutes of the second half but we struggled to do much with due to being a man light. Forest Green are not the sort of side that you want to be down to 10 men against.

I wasn't at Grimsby but from talking to people who were and were there yesterday the feelings of the support were not the same at all.

Freya
Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Freya » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Does anyone have the ability to post of the Forest Green forum? Some of the things being wrote about Barrow fans and me in particular are getting ridiculous now so I need to post my side of the story (the truth) there.

I am the 18 year old girl from Barrow being spoken about on this thread. After reading what has been said about me on the bus home last night, I was not going to post anything in reply and just forget about it. However now after seeing the thread now descend into complete and utters lies about me, I feel the need to defend myself. Therefore, here is my side of the story.

As we were leaving the away end we were talking between ourselves about the game, quite loud between us as we were understandably annoyed at what we had just watched. A group of FGR fans leaving the stand to the left of where we were then came over to us and began arguing with us saying we were sore losers, f**king this, f**king that etc. Barrow fans reacted in telling them where to go in a similar fashion. The man who has began this thread then grabbed my boyfriend's arm, and told him to stop swearing near his child, which he wasn't doing. I then proceeded to tell him that if he doesn't want his child to hear swear words then he shouldn't bring him to the football. I have been watching Barrow since I was 7 and when I was that age I heard all kinds of bad language, unfortunately its something they are going to hear. The man then began to shout and swear at me while he was holding his son's hand. I walked away towards the bus, and he shouted at me again, calling me a sket. When my boyfriend and several other people turned round to say something to him, the man moved his child out of the way, and came towards the Barrow bus, only to be stopped by stewards. We ignored it, and were stood waiting to get on our bus however one person was arguing with the driver as stated on here (because FGR stewards had told us the driver had told them not to let any of us in, however that was a lie made up by stewards). He was still shouting at us while we stood in the queue.

This is the complete truth although I doubt anyone will believe me, everyone seems to already have an opinion on me.

I may have been gobby and what not in the ground and am very embarrassed about it but I was shouting no more than any other Barrow fan in the ground who was angry at the shocking refereeing on display. I am a passionate supporter and my emotions got the better of me.

Also, at no point did I direct any abuse at his child, and did not call his child a c**t. I would never do this and I am very disappointed that he has made this up as this is not the type of person I am. In fact, I have just finished working as a carer for people with acquired brain injuries and mental health issues. In hindsight, I should not have said anything to the man, but I was worried when he grabbed my boyfriend. I worry how FGR will cope should they get promoted into the Football League how you will cope with away supporters a lot nastier than ours.


Again anyone with the ability to post on their forum if they could copy and paste this to them on my behalf I would really appreciate it

User avatar
Jonty
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11128
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Forest Green v Barrow match thread

Post by Jonty » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Si_Nichols wrote:
Jonty wrote:Agree Moonwatcher- the other three goals are dreadful defending from Barrow. Even the first, leading up to the hand ball, there's four Barrow players not being strong enough in stopping that ball coming into the box.
They aren't great defending but you also have to factor in that we played 70+ minutes a man light and there were many times where we defended very well. We also knocked the ball around well at times, especially in the first 15 minutes of the second half but we struggled to do much with due to being a man light. Forest Green are not the sort of side that you want to be down to 10 men against.

I wasn't at Grimsby but from talking to people who were and were there yesterday the feelings of the support were not the same at all.
I hate seeing us out muscled at set pieces. Maybe with Livesy on it would have been dealt with, but we should still be dealing better with those corners 10 men or 11.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests